Current model info for the Field Knife.

Lorien has had D3V out in the Pacific Northwest for months. So far his stuff looks great in videos etc. You can ask him directly. I'm in the same area, but have not had it long enough to give a good report. So far, so good. It darkens beautifully.

So, quick opinion question.

I am going to take a stab at getting one of the field knives when they are released. Do you all (y'all?) think that 80 people will try and snag one? I'd really like to go for two (two is one, one is none!) but I don't want to take from others. That wouldn't feel right. I wonder if Mr. Carothers would let us order "I'll take one and if there are any left after everyone gets one, I'll take two!"

And how frequently has history shown that the field knives get released?

I just saw the post about getting on a list. Maybe that would be the best way. Get one in the Friday sale and on the list for the second one.

Gotta make sure we share the love!

So, quick opinion question.

I am going to take a stab at getting one of the field knives when they are released. Do you all (y'all?) think that 80 people will try and snag one? I'd really like to go for two (two is one, one is none!) but I don't want to take from others. That wouldn't feel right. I wonder if Mr. Carothers would let us order "I'll take one and if there are any left after everyone gets one, I'll take two!"

And how frequently has history shown that the field knives get released?

You probablly ought to read the below thread that deals, more or less, with that which would probably be frowned upon. However, when someone purchases two with honorable intentions, like helping someone else or simply having two to use, that doesn't hurt, especially the way you crafted your paragraph above, because I doubt he will at any time have left over field knives.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1409492-Off-Topic-Proxy-Sales-Etiquette

Nathan has said several times buying two is fine, what he doesn't want is people buying multiples to immediately flip at a profit.

I'll be aiming for 2 immediately, one for myself and one for the wife for this season. Down the road I will also put one away, probably off the list. The nice thing about having the wife is "Two is one, one is none, three is for me." Anything I feel is really important like having a knife is easily justifiable :)

From what I have seen, Nathan has never had a batch of 80 or even close to it, I doubt that they will all be ready at the same time. I think they will trickle out as he is able to finish them, but that should be enough for several weeks worth of sales as well as to make a dent in the list. Normally the weekly sales have been 10ish at the large end. That being said he has really been working hard at getting numbers up these past weeks. I'm hopeful a lot of people will get them over this next month or so. Then the EDC is due!

Received that antique handled FK in the mail today, very high quality knife indeed!
PICT1038_zpseeulhwzu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Just on a side note the sheath for a gso 4.7 works very well on this knife, no shakes, rattles ect. even with the different blade height.

Received that antique handled FK in the mail today, very high quality knife indeed!
PICT1038_zpseeulhwzu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Just on a side note the sheath for a gso 4.7 works very well on this knife, no shakes, rattles ect. even with the different blade height.

How about a pic of that handle out in the sun before you box her up and send her to me?!

PICT1038_zpseeulhwzu.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
I was like did he preorder a custom sheath?? Good deal. Already kind of miss it.

Does anyone have any knowledge or examples/experience with what to expect with respect to corrosion resistance with the new ht?

Super Good at least in Wisconsin. I had the one with the titanium fasteners pictures and bought it January of 16 before the "Delta" was deemed but was told it was pretty close to the Delta. It is very stain resistent like close to a stainless. I also have a chopper with simular HT and it has been put away wet and dirty and has absolutly no rust or markings. That perticular one is 1.5 years old.

You probablly ought to read the below thread that deals, more or less, with that which would probably be frowned upon. However, when someone purchases two with honorable intentions, like helping someone else or simply having two to use, that doesn't hurt, especially the way you crafted your paragraph above, because I doubt he will at any time have left over field knives.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1409492-Off-Topic-Proxy-Sales-Etiquette

My friend who runs community gardens and is a statician has one now cause he saw mine and had to have it. He uses the shit out of it. Digs with it in the garden, cooks etc. He is not a knife guy but is getting into it. It spread outside of BLade forums on its own.

Lorien has had D3V out in the Pacific Northwest for months. So far his stuff looks great in videos etc. You can ask him directly. I'm in the same area, but have not had it long enough to give a good report. So far, so good. It darkens beautifully.

alas, if it were but true...

Missed this before now, sorry for the late reply.

I had a prototype in A2 which was SOUNDLY thrashed, and used under gentle circumstances as well, (gentle here includes cutting things that attack steel chemically) so fairly roundly exposed to all types of things. I gave that knife to a very close friend of mine who's only knife was a SAK. I told him that REAL MEN definitely will have a fixed blade knife, but maybe he should have one anyway. I feel good about him having that knife, but not a hike goes by that I don't yearn to have it on my belt.

The A2 was impressively resistant. It's higher in carbon and lower in chromium than 3V, so I expect that the 3V will be more resistant. The A2 Version was kept for days in a wet, schmutz filled specops sheath, multiple times, and it stained but didn't bloom any rust. Apparently heat treatment can effect stain resistance, but Nate will have to clue you in on that stuff, it's a little over my head.

Like you guys, I'm waiting on a D3V FieldKnife, and when it arrives, I'll make sure to put it through its paces so that you won't have to- until you have to! The apocalypse is coming!

Back