Currently which model of pocket knives are in official equipment of the US Army?

First of all would like to tell that have a great wish to add to my collection a pocket knife which would be a part of an official equipment of the US Army.

Have looked through many articles about the issue but did not manage to get an exact answer. As I know formerly the US Army was equiped by Camillus US Army Steel Pocket Knife with tools (very similar to SAK Soldier Alox). But which model/manufacturer has replaced it since?

Nearly all the articles available throughout the net regarding the issue give information about pocket sized tactical knives with only one blade. Has the former approachment of the US Army changed and pocket knives with tools fully were replaced by multi tools (say SOG, Leatherman...)? Or some divisions do use any kind of modern model pocket folding knives with tools (like an old Camillus)?

I am not interested in kives which are bought and used by separate soldiers according to their own wish and taste. I want only officially approved knives (like SAK, GAK, DAK KL and etc).

If the US Army does equips its divisions with that kind of knives please write about them and help me to buy one.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I've been "issued" different knives and multi-tools by supply over the years and most, if not all, were purchased by the supply section of the particular unit. Units some time have funds to direct purchase small items from local vendors and then it's up to the supply sgt and commander to decide which item to get. If the knife has a NSN (national stock number) it's easier to get. I have never seen nor heard of a particular knife that is issued to all soldiers with the exception of a bayonet. Even those are not handed out to everyone but the newer models are intended to serve as knife as much as a bayonet. That being said, guys who are jobs for which bayonets are issued normally have multiple different blades on them they purchased.

I was issued a Benchmade Auto Stryker (9100) in Iraq in 2006.

Benchmade has several knives with Stock Numbers. That means they are in the system it's just a matter of getting someone to order one for you.

Thank you all for your answers.

I would like to make clear that I want to get only a name of the model so that to be able to order it online or buy from anybody. I don't have an intention to get one directly from the "system". I know it is impossible for me.

JWRobinson

I think if an unit decides to purchase a knife it means that the knife could be counted as partly "official". So would you please list the models.

aquaman67

Very nice knife. But excuse me how did soldiers open cans, bottles and etc... ?

Sorry, I don't mean to not give a specific answer but there really isn't one. If you google Benchmade NSN you will see that a lot of their models are GSA approved for unit purchase so you can take your pick as too which one you like best: If they have an NSN then some unit, somewhere has handed them out to their troops. Same thing goes for a lot of Gerbers. Ontario and Camillus have also made multiple "issue" knives in the past. to confuse things a little more, Boker has a couple of "Armed Forces" knives (BO112, BO114, and Tactical)in their Boker Plus series they claim were designed at the Army's request for sale in PX and Clothing Sales on post. They are all ugly as Hell and Chinese made I think but are actually decent for the money. Taylor also has some very cheap "US ARMY" knives which are made in China and sold in lower price sporting goods stores but NOT on post. I think the Army ij just licensing their name for the money and/or advertising.

As for opening cans and bottles, not many of those down range now, MREs are all in pouches. However, they general purpose tool most of us use that does not involve cutting is a Leatherman. I've been issued a couple of Leatherman Fuse multi-tools with the blasting cap crimper in the plyers.

Hope this clears it up at least a little

Ontario XM-1 = NSN: 1095-01-535-5733, NSN: 1095-01-535-5724, NSN: 1095-01-535-5739, NSN: 1095-01-535-5743
Spyderco Pacific Salt Black Blade = NSN: 5110-01-583-9252

I believe these knives are approved for use and purchase. I have reason to think the Ontario XM-1s have been issued to some. Benchmade also has several folders with NSN numbers.

If you like genuine US military issue knives ( I do also) check out the Ontario website. They are probably the largest single supplier of actual issue knives to the US armed forces. Most are fixed blades and bayonets but they are the REAL deal. Ontario makes both the only approved and issued ASEK survival knife as well as the current Marine corp OKC bayonet. Cool stuff!

I've been issued a couple of Striders (SMF and DB-L)-both have NSNs engraved on the blade. I've also gotten a Benchmade 9050 AFO, Lan-Cay M11, and more multi-tools than I can remember. Aside from a couple of Gerber Multi-plier 600s I got through pre-deployment RFI, all of this stuff was issued at the company level, and purchased through discretionary funds, so it's likely not official in the sense you're talking about.

I also recall a conversation with our supply NCO, in which he told me that with some items (we discussed knives, watches and flashlights) there were multiple models and manufacturers assigned to a single NSN, and what you got depended entirely on what was in stock at the time. Thus, a supply officer could place an order for a company's worth of "Knife, folding, automatic" and have no idea whether or not he'd be getting Benchmade 9050s, Spyderco Citadels, or Gerber 06 DMFs.

So what we have:

1. Benchmade Auto Stryker 9100 ~ 180-200$
2. Boker BO112 ~ 25-30$
3. Boker BO114 ~ 32-46$
4. Boker Tactical (it is uncertain exactly which one)
5. Ontario XM-1 ~ 120-130$
6. Spyderco Pacific Salt Black Blade ~ 70-90$
7. Strider SMF ~ 475-500$

As you can see I have choosen only folding knives out of those kindly named/recommended by you. Comparing all of their characteristics such as brand name, quality, material, size and finally price my winner at this intermediate moment is - Ontario XM-1. I really liked it. If there will not be any further suggestions I may try to get it.

As I understand the model was not mentioned in the context of issued knifes. May be I am mistaken.

1. Benchmade Auto Stryker 9100 ~ 180-200$
2. Boker BO112 ~ 25-30$
3. Boker BO114 ~ 32-46$
4. Boker Tactical (it is uncertain exactly which one)
5. Ontario XM-1 ~ 120-130$
6. Spyderco Pacific Salt Black Blade ~ 70-90$
7. Strider SMF ~ 475-500$
8. Gerber 06 Auto ~ 120-140$
9. Gerber Gator ~ 30$

Despite the fact that Gator is a US made knife it still looks like a cheap Chinese product.
Above I told that had choosen Ontario XM-1, but unfortunately (for me) it is made in Italy. I don't have anything against Italy, but prefer to have in the collection a knife made in the same country (USA) of which Army is equiped by it.

I got out of the Marines in 2005 and at that time we were being issued an Ontario Bayonet that looked very similar to a Ka-bar USMC and a Gerber Multi-tool, not sure which model since I continued to carry my own.

This is coming from an Air Force perspective, but I have been issued a Benchmade Griptilian when I deployed. Most other I know fot Benchmade AFOs or Gerber 06's though. Multi-blade pocket knife issue is pretty much unheard of, they have been entirely replaced by Multitools.

Back