Curtiss Knives

Hey guys,

I've just recently received my first Curtiss F3 and I've got to say that I'm impressed. I traded into the blade for a Marfione/Strider MSG111 and I'm not disappointed. While the MSG was certainly flashier, the Curtiss rivals it in all other aspects. Frankly, I don't fully appreciate flashy knives so I ended up happier with the Curtiss as it almost asks me to carry it and actually use it.

Upon delving a bit more into the brand, it's obvious that Mr. Curtiss considers his knives to be full customs, and, I agree. With that being said, what's the general consensus around here? What are your opinions of the brand/model?

With a hand ground blade, totally in house manufacturing and assembly by Dave, I believe these guys to be fully custom knives at a mid-tech price. The action, lock-up, centering, and overall fit and finish are superb. The jimping is legendary.

Upon contacting Dave, it seems that these knives are 100% customizable and can be custom ordered with any of the available options pictured on his Instagram page.

I'm working on ordering my second directly from Dave, convince me I'm making the right decision ;)

I've had a couple of his F3s in the past. Don't have them any more but would not hesitate to buy one again. Dave is a top notch fella, and his knives are excellent in f&f/quality, imo.

A benchmark brand in the knife collector journey. A blade to be held and experienced to know of a certain level of quality and function. I will have one forever in my collection.

I quite like them, a bit too rich for my blood since with all those knives I wouldn't be just happy with a base model I'd probably go for a Large F3, FR/Frag Pattern Handle, Satin Blade with Compound Grind, either with a more green camo coating, solid OD green camo (to sort of give it that frag grenade style more) or with bronze ano scales and heat colored hardware.
My main thing that I am not very much liking from a construction/design standpoint is the big flipper tab, it seems larger than it has to be, I suppose I get that the bigger tab makes it easier with gloves and flips maybe more reliable than with a smaller, but I think trying to shrink it maybe 20-30% would give it a better profile.
Once I configured my dream F3 it would be a ~900$ Knife with ~200 $ in tax on top (And being International I'm assuming another ~30$ in Shipping too). And for almost 1200$....yeah, it'd be a sweet knife, but I can get like three very nice other knives, like more Reates or a CKF. The whole curve of diminishing returns comes into play there for me.

If it would straight up just buying for the equivalent of 900$ with shipping and tax and everything and no hassle, I'd consider it a lot more of course.

I quite like them, a bit too rich for my blood since with all those knives I wouldn't be just happy with a base model I'd probably go for a Large F3, FR/Frag Pattern Handle, Satin Blade with Compound Grind, either with a more green camo coating, solid OD green camo (to sort of give it that frag grenade style more) or with bronze ano scales and heat colored hardware.
My main thing that I am not very much liking from a construction/design standpoint is the big flipper tab, it seems larger than it has to be, I suppose I get that the bigger tab makes it easier with gloves and flips maybe more reliable than with a smaller, but I think trying to shrink it maybe 20-30% would give it a better profile.
Once I configured my dream F3 it would be a ~900$ Knife with ~200 $ in tax on top (And being International I'm assuming another ~30$ in Shipping too). And for almost 1200$....yeah, it'd be a sweet knife, but I can get like three very nice other knives, like more Reates or a CKF. The whole curve of diminishing returns comes into play there for me.

If it would straight up just buying for the equivalent of 900$ with shipping and tax and everything and no hassle, I'd consider it a lot more of course.

Frankly, I am routinely reminded of the fact that I have become obsessed with the correct commodity. With diminishing returns in mind, I've been able to experience a very wide variety of knives from a wide variety of brands and have managed to more often than not break even. In some cases, I've even made a buck or two. There aren't many other novelty markets you can say that about.

Regardless, my quote is for $895, and, ironically, it's for a large compound ground F3 with antiqued green frag handles and bronzed hardware. Still debating on a blade finish.

A benchmark brand in the knife collector journey. A blade to be held and experienced to know of a certain level of quality and function. I will have one forever in my collection.

I like this and feel similar. While I used to revel at the thought of a new production knife release or something of the like, I find myself refreshing the custom for sale forum more often these days.

I remember when I received my first over $50 knife. A Manix 2 XL. Then the s30v Blur, Emerson Endura, then another Endura, and finally a ZT0562. That's the one that really started it all. That was something like a new midsize car ago, LOL.

Frankly, I am routinely reminded of the fact that I have become obsessed with the correct commodity. With diminishing returns in mind, I've been able to experience a very wide variety of knives from a wide variety of brands and have managed to more often than not break even. In some cases, I've even made a buck or two. There aren't many other novelty markets you can say that about.

Regardless, my quote is for $895, and, ironically, it's for a large compound ground F3 with antiqued green frag handles and bronzed hardware. Still debating on a blade finish.

You my friend have good taste. I get that at a certain point it's more about getting something that's "just right" and not just "I really like that". I suppose a little impatience and simply that I like enough non-customs that those big purchases slide down in the list further. Where I think "Well I can get that 1200$ custom and wait for X weeks/months" or I can get that production knife now/next week that I want as well.
As for a blade finish, I think if it's a custom/handmade knife satin is the way to go, a nice light stonewash is better for a user though. Dark coating wouldn't look all that good to my eyes with those scales.
tenor.gif

You my friend have good taste. I get that at a certain point it's more about getting something that's "just right" and not just "I really like that". I suppose a little impatience and simply that I like enough non-customs that those big purchases slide down in the list further. Where I think "Well I can get that 1200$ custom and wait for X weeks/months" or I can get that production knife now/next week that I want as well.
As for a blade finish, I think if it's a custom/handmade knife satin is the way to go, a nice light stonewash is better for a user though. Dark coating wouldn't look all that good to my eyes with those scales.
tenor.gif

I think I'm borderline addicted to being suspended in s perpetual grail hunt. If i didnt have to wait, I'd likely be bored by now. That's probably why I've gravitated away from productions. That and the custom touch. Funny enough, finding those K2s ended up being a nice little hunt. I had to have the diamond versions and basically every retailer save for a few were totally sold out. Managed to find a few on Ebay from a Reate dealer. Used one of those Ebay flash coupons for a sweet deal too...

As for the Curtiss, it was between the frag or jigged handles and inevitably my OCD won and decided I wanted the frag version for me. I've always liked that styling. Have a Monkey Edge Kwaiback that's pretty sweet.

I've not seen Curtis use a true military green yet so I'm hoping that he'll adjust his antique green finish just a tad in order to align with the whole drag style. Maybe antique the bronze hardware to.

The Curtiss I have now is wear a blackwash finish on the blade. I'll probably go satin on this next one. Maybe stonewash...

On another note, I freaking hate the F3 logo. I don't mind the Curtiss knife logo but that big 'ole honkin F is a real eyesore. I wonder if he would consider making that side sterile...

Last edited:
Maybe he would consider scaling it down 50% ? Shouldn't be difficult to make. Or swap it to the backside and put Curtiss on the front. I agree it would look nicer.

Back