Custom 7 vs custom 6

I am looking to get a 7 and bolster it and do something custom to it to give it a 6 look but I have a few questions. The knife will be a shtf edc type folder.

Should I do a zero grind ?

How do you sharpen a zero grind ?

Could I get a more aggressive swedge?

Should I do serrations or buy a knife with them if it's going to be my zombie bug out folder ?

Any one have pix of their custom 7 or 6 knives they would like to share ?

s2vkZ7x.jpg

Get ahold of Nathawut on Facebook. These are two of examples of his work, he can do whatever you want.

~John

Zero grind is cool but not an ideal for SHTF blade imo. It is the most fragile grind out there.

Sorry to be a dick, but, if you are asking these questions are you sure you should be tackling the work yourself...

I question life should I not live it and kill my self ?

I make air craft parts and have questions about how said parts are being machined this way vs that way, should I quit my job ?

You can always get a regrind if you're not sure on the zero. Tom Krein does some of the best-all the other mods you should be capable of, with machinists experience. I would note that the zero grind is a pure cutter/slicer, it won't hold up to abuse at all. It is somewhat simple in that you can simply remove the secondary bevel to get it-pretty much like sharpening a chisel, without putting a micro-bevel on it. It is more a matter of how you sharpen, because I would guess, freehand would be near impossible. Practice on a cheap knife or two to get the technique down, and you should be GTG. Hope this helps.
Thanks, Neal

Why does emerson only use titanium bolsters ? You never see bolsters from brass or copper or heat treated tool steels.

What’s wrong with 6061 aluminum bolsters that are bead blasted ?

Back