Custom axe handle

Single bit masting axe
Will you post some photos of it? I'd love to have a peek at it. Is there a makers mark?
I recently made a helve for my mast axe. Used red oak;
JNQxWqJ.jpg
gXN8HaL.jpg

This pic is all finished and oiled;
20190927_162839.jpg
Have you considered making one yourself? It's awfully gratifying!

You're not gonna find one of those available commercially. Your best bet might be to buy railroad pick handle and shave it down to fit.

https://househandle.com/products-2.html#railroad

Or buy a raw stave of hickory and make it totally from scratch. I believe House Handle has sold them by request. I think shipping is high.

Yes, House sells rough cut 2x4x36 boards, but the ends are often checked an inch or so on both ends, so maximum length you can get is usually about 34" out of them. Cost per unit is low, but a 2x4 of hickory is HEAVY so it costs a lot (more than the cost of the boards) to ship them. It basically makes the most sense to buy a dozen or more to get the per-unit cost of shipping as low as reasonably possible. And then you have a bunch of good hickory!

Nope. Adam stopped making them. It was more work and fuss than he had time for with his day job and recovering from having his house get hit by a tornado a year or so back.

I got the railroad pic handle from house. It has a solid head. Do I cut a slit in the end of the head for a wedge?

Back