Custom Chef Knife Makers?

I am looking to buy a custom Chef knife for cutting mostly vegetables and I don't have the greatest knife skills, so most likely it will be a western style chef knife. Is there a section for custom knife makers makers that display the cost and quality of their work? I would most likely be in the $300 - $400 range or maybe higher if the quality of steel warrants it. I would be looking at a little less work than a standard high carbon steel, as I am not 100% that I would remember to dry and oil it all of the time. Any assistance is very appreciated.

tmlc18

Where are you? Many makers across the country could possibly do this BUT with a good kitchen knife it makes a huge difference how it feels in your hand. It would be much better for you if you could get to a show where several of them might be so you could handle the knives and select the one that feels better to you. Several big shows are coming up. Blade show in Atlanta June 1-3. ICCE show in Kansas City at the end of September. Blade west in Portland OR the first week of October and NY Custom Knife show in November. Just to name a few.

Where are you? Many makers across the country could possibly do this BUT with a good kitchen knife it makes a huge difference how it feels in your hand. It would be much better for you if you could get to a show where several of them might be so you could handle the knives and select the one that feels better to you. Several big shows are coming up. Blade show in Atlanta June 1-3. ICCE show in Kansas City at the end of September. Blade west in Portland OR the first week of October and NY Custom Knife show in November. Just to name a few.

I am in NYC but not sure I want to wait until November. I was thinking of going to Korin to see if any Gyuto knifes would be of interest but without using it to actually cut fruits and vegetables, I am not sure it would make much difference. I have a Zwilling Forged Santoku and a Gunter Wilhelm laser edge and love the weight, balance and handle to that knife but would like to add a custom one to my kitchen.

How about a 240mm chef in AEB-L with a stabilized amboyna burl handle? :D

Possibly. Looking for something in the 210mm range and not a huge fan of wood burl handles but everything is on the table. Your link brought up a GoDaddy web page that is no longer active; do you have a site with examples of the knife you are referring to, or that has a gallery of your work?

I have a 180mm santoku all heat treated and waiting to be finished, could have it done in a couple months. It was originally part of a 3pc set I started for a customer who went awol a few months back.
Nitro-V stainless steel. you can view my work on my website in sig line.

Possibly. Looking for something in the 210mm range and not a huge fan of wood burl handles but everything is on the table. Your link brought up a GoDaddy web page that is no longer active; do you have a site with examples of the knife you are referring to, or that has a gallery of your work?
Well, all of my previous kitchen knives have been burly. ;)

Back