Custom GSO Handles - WIP thread

I have a summer project lined up - to put custom scales on my own personal GSOs (and some other knives). I brought home a piece of some exceptionally curly Koa from Hawaii, dried it and had it stabilized. I cut up the blocks and am going to make a series of handles over the next few (many?) months. Eventually all my personal knives will be shod in scales from one piece of wood. I will post WIP photos as I go. Comments and questions are welcome.

Let me also state for the record - this is not a solicitation for work. I have been warned about that before and I will respect forum rules. Thanks.

Starting with my 2.7...

byLopfAl.jpg

Last edited:
^^^Thanks, Psy.

those will look great... will yer new scales be permanent or removable?

Removable. I reuse the stock fasteners and made a stepped drill bit to bore the holes. The scales are dimensionally equivalent to the S!K scales to fit the original sheath. I've made dozens like this and they always fit.

I start by roughing them to shape and contouring. I use the knife tang as a drilling template and to trace the profile, then contour to the same shape as the stock scales. When they are all sanded to shape I counter-bore the holes and fine tune to fit the sheath. These have been one and off the knife no less than 10 times.

bFvkPoQl.jpg

DpCqZC4l.jpg

Then with the first coat of oil...
GIi0QKSl.jpg

Last edited:
The grain sure popped with the oil on it! Going to be fun watching this one :thumbsup:

Awesome, so nice. Looking at the pics, you almost completely forget there's a knife on the other end! :D

Nice! You move quick. I was expecting these gorgeous handles to take shape over weeks not days. Can't wait to see the rest of the set :thumbsup:

TR!
BEAUTIFUL handles!!
I saw some work of your custom folding handles out of a necker, I would love for you to do that to mine! Can you email me to talk about doing that to my necker??
Email is Xtreme99LS1@gmail.com
Thanks!

Thanks, N NXPRSS - Sorry, but I'm not doing the folder handles any more. I no longer have access to the machine shop that did the machining on the pivot bolts. Those are now a "limited edition".

Back