1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Custom GSO Handles - WIP thread

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by TRfromMT, May 6, 2017.

1. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I have a summer project lined up - to put custom scales on my own personal GSOs (and some other knives). I brought home a piece of some exceptionally curly Koa from Hawaii, dried it and had it stabilized. I cut up the blocks and am going to make a series of handles over the next few (many?) months. Eventually all my personal knives will be shod in scales from one piece of wood. I will post WIP photos as I go. Comments and questions are welcome.

Let me also state for the record - this is not a solicitation for work. I have been warned about that before and I will respect forum rules. Thanks.

Starting with my 2.7...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 6, 2017
    MikeKu825, squarebox86 and Psybull like this.
  2. Psybull

Psybull

Dec 31, 2015
    That is some killer koa! Can't wait to see the finished product.

3. Methuselah

Methuselah Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 7, 2015
    those will look great... will yer new scales be permanent or removable?

4. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    ^^^Thanks, Psy.

Removable. I reuse the stock fasteners and made a stepped drill bit to bore the holes. The scales are dimensionally equivalent to the S!K scales to fit the original sheath. I've made dozens like this and they always fit.

5. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Yes! This will be a fun thread to follow.

I'm looking forward to seeing your updates and finished handles.

TRfromMT likes this.
  6. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    I start by roughing them to shape and contouring. I use the knife tang as a drilling template and to trace the profile, then contour to the same shape as the stock scales. When they are all sanded to shape I counter-bore the holes and fine tune to fit the sheath. These have been one and off the knife no less than 10 times.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Then with the first coat of oil...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  7. rcb2000

rcb2000

Apr 15, 2014
    Oh man, those at going to be killer. Love that wood choice

TRfromMT likes this.
  8. Goose 7279

Goose 7279 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Man that koa is beautiful and would look great on my LC ;-). That is some fine work Tony

TRfromMT likes this.
  9. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    The grain sure popped with the oil on it! Going to be fun watching this one :thumbsup:

10. rcb2000

rcb2000

Apr 15, 2014
    Awesome, so nice. Looking at the pics, you almost completely forget there's a knife on the other end! :D

11. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Here is the finished product. I use Tru Oil (maybe 5-8 coats depending on the material), sanded at 1000 grit, then buff them down with steel wool and use basic car wax to polish them back up. Very easy finish to maintain.
    20170509_180107.jpg 20170509_180133.jpg

Apocryphiliac, straitr, jjweb and 5 others like this.
  12. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    I really like the chatoyance in Koa! My personal favorite...
    IMG_20170509_180906_760.jpg

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  13. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Nice! You move quick. I was expecting these gorgeous handles to take shape over weeks not days. Can't wait to see the rest of the set :thumbsup:

TRfromMT likes this.
  14. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Very impressed tony! Wow!

TRfromMT likes this.
  15. Riz!

Riz! Gold Member Gold Member

May 5, 2014
    Damn

TRfromMT likes this.
  16. ExtraBaconPlease

ExtraBaconPlease

Mar 8, 2016
    Stunning. Well done sir, well done.

TRfromMT likes this.
  17. Texas_toothpick

Texas_toothpick

Apr 16, 2015
    Wowzers!!!

TRfromMT likes this.
  18. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    This knife is off getting a custom pocket/slip sheath. I'll post up when it returns...

Silver Needle likes this.
  19. NXPRSS

NXPRSS

Feb 15, 2015
    TR!
    BEAUTIFUL handles!!
    I saw some work of your custom folding handles out of a necker, I would love for you to do that to mine! Can you email me to talk about doing that to my necker??
    Email is [email protected]
    Thanks!

20. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Thanks, @NXPRSS - Sorry, but I'm not doing the folder handles any more. I no longer have access to the machine shop that did the machining on the pivot bolts. Those are now a "limited edition".