Custom GSO Handles - WIP thread

Great pics! Very artistic.

I was going to comment on the finish before reading the description. The etching is different than the original finish, but really looks good. Great work!!!!

What kind of stump did you use for the photo session?

Silver Needle Silver Needle that's a Russian Olive stump. The city came through where I live and cut down hundreds of them, then painted the stumps with some kind of dark stain. Too bad, really, but they must be some kind of invasive species or they were diseased or something.

Silver Needle Silver Needle that's a Russian Olive stump. The city came through where I live and cut down hundreds of them, then painted the stumps with some kind of dark stain. Too bad, really, but they must be some kind of invasive species or they were diseased or something.
That makes sense. I thought it was magical, naturally oily wood. It's really rich looking and is a perfect backdrop for your excellent knives :thumbsup:

That 4.1 is fantastic mate.
I love how the acid wash compliments those wooden handles. Well done. Your best work yet imho. :thumbsup:

Can the new peen finish be turned in acid etch? Or only the old spec tumbled such as above.

TRMT, want to buy that 4.1 from your customer and than sell it to me :D:p??

Last edited:
Can the new peen finish be turned in acid etch? Or only the old spec tumbled such as above.

TRMT, want to buy that 4.1 from your customer and than sell it to me :D:p??

HA! The knives in this thread are my personal knives. Not for sale at this time ;)

I would think the new finish would take the etch as well. The acid would have some affect, I'm sure. I do not really know the finishing process, nor have any direct experience, but I have to think it would work.

HA! The knives in this thread are my personal knives. Not for sale at this time ;)

I would think the new finish would take the etch as well. The acid would have some affect, I'm sure. I do not really know the finishing process, nor have any direct experience, but I have to think it would work.

Ahhh nice man, it is an absolute gorgeous piece. Worthy of a personal knife for sure. Do you work with others as a collaboration (like with your own knife) for your customers too? I'd love to have a knife sent to you some time for a similar setup - acid wash + stabilized scales. :thumbsup:

^^I need to simply mention here that I do not have the appropriate level of membership to solicit work in these kinds of threads. While I appreciate the interest (really!), I've been reminded by mods in the past that this is a no-no. Thanks.

^^I need to simply mention here that I do not have the appropriate level of membership to solicit work in these kinds of threads. While I appreciate the interest (really!), I've been reminded by mods in the past that this is a no-no. Thanks.
Oops! My bad! Well then, great work nonetheless. Keep it up and post more pics :D

Beautiful work Tony! I've got a few slabs of Koa waiting for a project like this, might have to give it a go. Are you using a belt sander to get the contours?

~Jim

Thanks, SonnyJim SonnyJim !
Do you have access to facebook? I did a whole writeup on how I do this. There are a lot of tricks, but I'm happy to help anyone through it. I have spent a LOT of time working out the details, and even do things like make my own stepped drill bits and so forth. To answer your question, I use a Porter Cable 3x21 belt sander laying on it's side for about 90% of the shaping. I made a sanding table out of my belt sander and it's suitable for all of the contour sanding.

Message me if you want to discuss further.

Thanks Tony! The finished knife came out excellent.

On the acid etch I garnet blasted the knife first, it helps the etch get more even, darker and hold a bit more. After that about a minute in ferric chloride solution (warm vinegar works too) then a good tumble. The tumble brings it back to the level of the original finish so make sure the knife is scratch free first.

On the acid etch I garnet blasted the knife first, it helps the etch get more even, darker and hold a bit more. After that about a minute in ferric chloride solution (warm vinegar works too) then a good tumble. The tumble brings it back to the level of the original finish so make sure the knife is scratch free first.
Truly outstanding work, sir!

Did Tony say that this was just a one-time project for you?

Absolutely beautiful work. If you don't mind saying, do you use a horizontal to grind the swedge in that manner?

Absolutely beautiful work. If you don't mind saying, do you use a horizontal to grind the swedge in that manner?

Thanks! 10" wheel, I hang the belt off the edge to form the plunge line.

I do have a horizontal grinder and probably use it more than my standard KMG... no bevel grinding though, just flats and scales.

Back