1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

Custom GSO Handles - WIP thread

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by TRfromMT, May 6, 2017.

1. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Thank you for the reply! I hadn't thought about grinding it in that manner. Thank you very much.

Daniel Fairly Knives likes this.
  2. TRfromMT

TRfromMT Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2016
    I would like to again express how much I appreciate @Daniel Fairly Knives. I first contacted him straight out of the blue about 2 years ago asking if he would let me collaborate on a few of his knives. Much to my amazement, he agreed. We did 3 knives together, and I consider that one of the formative events that helped me make a mark with my knife handle making endeavors. Daniel is absolutely a class act, generous with his time and information, and makes some fantastic blades. His style really appeals to me. When he agreed to do this project, I was again amazed, and even more so when the knife came home. He's a hell of a guy. Please check out his work. My knife doesn't even begin to showcase his talent!

3. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Well... here I go again.
    I had a 4.1 (new spec) and then sold it, which I regretted. I recently traded my way back into one, and last night I started into a set of Koa slabs that should match the ones on my old spec 4.1 (these came from the same slab I brought home from Hawaii).

I got them drilled and the outline roughed in last night. Also got the finger pocket dialled in. I'll keep you posted as I go.

[​IMG]

4. BBuser

BBuser

Sep 4, 2016
    For all the advantages of synthetic materials nothing brings out the beauty of that steel like fine wood and leather. A joy to see--I need to hold it.

5. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Anyone know of a place to buy scales? I am looking for one 4.7, and possibly a 5.1
    Thanks

6. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    @ATJ999 I imagine you have checked on the S!K web site. Additionally, there was a thread around here some time ago for extra S!K supplies (fasteners, sheaths, handles) - you could post in that thread. There is also the Facebook fan page, you could post what you are looking for.

Apart from that, I only remember one other guy who does handles in materials - I want to say it was @Hale Storm but I don't remember for sure.

chiral.grolim likes this.
  7. ATJ999

ATJ999 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2013
    Ok thanks, I will take a look, thanks again!

8. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    @TRfromMT this is great to see! As I always am with your work, I'll be eagerly watching for updates :thumbsup:

9. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Hoping to sneak out to the shop a little this weekend

Wood5045 and Silver Needle like this.
  10. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Absolutely Awesome. I like all of them, but I am really partial to this 4.7 how it kind of fades to the rear. NICE!

TRfromMT likes this.
  11. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    I managed to get back in the shop today. It's been awhile but I got the 4.1 handles polished up and the first coat of oil on them. They'll be on the knife in another few days.

[​IMG]

12. Psybull

Psybull

Dec 31, 2015
    Some of the best yet! Koa is all that and then some.

Fancier and Standard78 like this.
  13. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Finished up the new spec 4.1 handles. Little side by side comparison shot for you. Low light, so only so-so look at the figure, but you get the idea...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Adjectives are failing me Tony. Just excellent my friend :thumbsup:

grogimus, Fancier and TRfromMT like this.
  15. grogimus

grogimus KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 27, 2012
    ^That. Flat out beautiful.

Hard Knocks and TRfromMT like this.
  16. Bottom Line

Bottom Line Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 24, 2017
    Super cool. Very talented.

TRfromMT likes this.
  17. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    I completed the set and put some Koa on the 4.7. These are more marbled than the tight curl I normally use. All three if these came from the same slab. Lots of variation.

Thanks for looking. Merry Christmas, guys.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    That is a beautiful set of knives!

TRfromMT likes this.
  19. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    @TRfromMT those are gorgeous handles. I don't know if I would have guessed that they all came from the same slab. Keep up the incredible work :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fancier and TRfromMT like this.
  20. TRfromMT

Jan 4, 2016
    Just added a Sagewood Gear sheath to finally complete this piece...
    20180721_112908~01.jpg 20180721_112956~01.jpg 20180721_113031~01.jpg

Fancier, ajvail18, CataD and 2 others like this.