Custom Knife Collectors Association – Any in

I have mentioned that one topic the group discussed at Jerry’s show was the possible need for a Knife collector’s association and this subject has also come up here on this forum. In addition to the group at Jerry’s I have also contacted a few forum members and knife makers to discuss it.

Most all of the discussion has been towards creating a forged blade collectors association in that most participants in these discussions have been forged blade collectors.

The purpose of this thread is just to get feedback, create open dialog and see if enough interest exist to move on to the next steps. No official charter has been discussed; however I have some ideas as to what in my opinion a collectors association’s purpose and goals may be.

ALL collectors, makers and dealers opinions, views and comments are of course welcome.

I would enjoy having a target placed on my back by thin-skinned makers of stabbing implements of questionable quality.

Count me in! ;)

Well, I think the creative minds that have spoken up so far are a good sign. I think after seeing the BF Bowie project come to life, this is a group that can and WILL (if they so choose) make a collectors' association happen.

Good luck! :)

I'm interested.

If it is going to be a custom knife collectors association, there is going to have to be a definition of what a custom knife is.

Uh oh.......forged blade or custom knife? I think there is a difference. Forged blade would eliminate stock removal knives, thus eliminating most of the tactical stuff. Personally, that is fine with me.

however starkman it would also eliminate a heck of a lot of other collectors too. folks would need to decide if it is a Custom Knife Collectors Association, Forged Blade Collectors Association a Custom but excluding tactical knife Collectors Associaton.

Next it has to be decided what this Association is supposed to do. Does it have meetings? Is it a US only association? What does it cost and what benefits are available to members? Are Makers going to be part? Will this association then be no different from the open discussions in forums?

A number of years ago when the internet was in its infancy, there was TKCl or The Knife Collectors List which had a pin and also had a variety of knives made by various makers that were purchased with the TKCL inscribed. It seems to have gone by the wayside over the past number of months -- well almost a year now.

Will this Association then become a segement under BF just like other groups?

How will folks communicate with the Association?

Will the Association have a table at each knife show to promote the Association?

Just a few queries.

Murray,
You bring up some very good points for discussion....something I'd have to think about when I have more time....its late.
Bob

however starkman it would also eliminate a heck of a lot of other collectors too. folks would need to decide if it is a Custom Knife Collectors Association, Forged Blade Collectors Association a Custom but excluding tactical knife Collectors Associaton.

Next it has to be decided what this Association is supposed to do. Does it have meetings? Is it a US only association? What does it cost and what benefits are available to members? Are Makers going to be part? Will this association then be no different from the open discussions in forums?

A number of years ago when the internet was in its infancy, there was TKCl or The Knife Collectors List which had a pin and also had a variety of knives made by various makers that were purchased with the TKCL inscribed. It seems to have gone by the wayside over the past number of months -- well almost a year now.

Will this Association then become a segement under BF just like other groups?

How will folks communicate with the Association?

Will the Association have a table at each knife show to promote the Association?

Just a few queries.

Now that's a start Murray. :thumbup:

My vision is that this could be a world class organization some day. The possibilities for the collector and the industry in general are endless.

IMO, we need to consider options such as Murray identified, decide what's the purpose and what we expect to accomplish, identify a plan and focus on that plan in getting started.

My concern is that a project like this is very difficult to launch and sustain (they tend to start with a bang, just to fizzle out) unless there's commitment, control, defined focus, clear goals and especially unity. So to have too broad a focus such as "ALL Customs" may have us scattered or going in too many directions to start off. In other words "Rome wasn't built in a day".

I believe we need maker support in the capacity of associate or advising makers or as collector/makers. It's surprising how many makers also collect other maker's pieces.
Their are already several well known makers including Don that are very interested in this as they realize they benefit from A STRONG COLLECTOR POOL.

From just the most basic standpoint, IMO the association needs help to assist and sustain established collectors and enlist, mentor and support new collectors.

An organizational plan, association charter and bylaws will need to be considered.

Let's get at it. :thumbup: :)

believe that the we should stick with forged blades and not stock removal at this time.

This is a very good idea. I'm eager to see how it develops. As a relatively unknown (at this time) maker of forged custom blades, I look forward to seeing how the maker would fit in with this as it moves forward.

I've seen a lot of exchange of ideas and knowledge on the part of the makers in the shop threads, and I am equally impressed by the knowledge and exchange of ideas by the collectors here at BFs.

Keep the brainstorming going strong. I'll be lurking at this thread from time to time, and looking forward to your progress with this.

Good job Kevin. I've been thinking along these lines for quite some time but I took the 'wait till someone else gets it done' approach. I love your idea and I see endless posbilities for this. Maybe we can create publications in which the readers can have there focus.

Back