Custom Knife Makers or Machine Shops Near Boulder, CO?

I have a few small knife and climbing equipment modification projects that require the following tools:

- Belt grinder (water cooled)
- Band saw or water jet cutter
- Drill press

I also have some longer-term aspirations to design my own knives. For now, I just want to modify my existing knives. Ideally, I would like to find someone near Boulder, Colorado. If you know anyone near Boulder that would be interested in this type of work, please let me know.

Harbor freight baby

I have a few small knife and climbing equipment modification projects that require the following tools:

- Belt grinder (water cooled)
- Band saw or water jet cutter
- Drill press

I also have some longer-term aspirations to design my own knives. For now, I just want to modify my existing knives. Ideally, I would like to find someone near Boulder, Colorado. If you know anyone near Boulder that would be interested in this type of work, please let me know.

If you just go with the cheapies you could buy all those tools for a few hundred bucks this would give you more control over the finished product and should still be more affordable over the long term even when considering the shorter lifespan cheap tools usually have.

Exactly, it's basically a rite of passage.

The ol' 1x30 belt sander.

That's where everyone starts.

It's where ya learn it's not the tools it's the maker, the fancy tools just make things more time efficient but don't create skill in themselves.

Although one can learn faster on a bigger grinder since they will make mistakes faster so they learn faster :D

If you just go with the cheapies you could buy all those tools for a few hundred bucks this would give you more control over the finished product and should still be more affordable over the long term even when considering the shorter lifespan cheap tools usually have.

I appreciate the advice.

The issue is a lack of space for the tools. I live in a small apartment and my girlfriend would definitely not appreciate me filling the space with additional tools. If I had my own workspace, I would buy the tools.

I used to live in a small apartment, I bought a 1x30 and a corded drill.

Gotta start somewhere, waiting for someone to just say 'hey bud just use my shop" is unlikely in my experience and I live around a lot of knife makers.

Overtime ya realize it wasnt the tools that were holding ya back in the beginning.

If I had to go back to a 1x30 and a corded drill I could still make better things than someone with zero experience and all the fancy tools.

I'm telling you this to empower you.

I appreciate the advice.

The issue is a lack of space for the tools. I live in a small apartment and my girlfriend would definitely not appreciate me filling the space with additional tools. If I had my own workspace, I would buy the tools.

Back