• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Custom Knives from Thailand on Ebay

jsciii

Gold Member
Has anyone won a knife on Ebay offered by sellers from Thailand? I've seen the auctions a number of times. The pictures look great, the story sounds good, the prices are cheap (relative to the pictures), the sellers all have good ratings, but I'm still wary of bidding on items in foreign countries. I'd be intersted in hearing opinions of anyone who's gone ahead and taken the risk.

Thanks

I got a few from ccknifesmith and cm_knife a few years ago. They look great in the pictures, they are just OK as far as quality, but a few months back I checked them again and realized the liner locks don't really work. When given a light smack on the top of the blade spine, they close way too easily. Could be dangerous if they in use, but these sit in a display case. That makes them pretty much worthless in my book.
Now... there may be some out there that are better made or the folks that I bought from are making better quality than they did two years ago, I don't know. It appears the ones made by thita go for a lot more money than I paid and always get bid on quickly.

Thanks Barcbsa, what you say makes sense. All candy on the outside. I've been looking at that the thita knives mainly as they are the nicest looking. The reason I am asking for advice is because their knives go for more money.

Just a quick post on Thita knives. I bought one of there knives probably a year or 2 ago, before they started doing all the fancy Damascus and scrimshaw work which seems to have increased the price. It's just a basic tactical folder and I've been carrying it ever sense. It's my favorite carry knife, fits perfect in my pocket and hold an edge incredibly long. I'd love to buy another one like it, if they'd start making similar knives again, the quality on the knife is excellent.

Hi, I have bought 8 Custom knives from Thita on eBay and received every one of them in good condition. Best to pay the extra $14 for EMS delivery as they show up in 7-10 days vs. 30 for standard delivery. Quality is excellent and the scales are what I would consider presentation grade materials like black-lip and gold-lip pearl. Have been trying to get one of their scimshaw versions but seem to get outbid every time at the end.

Hope this helps.

Dick

I was talking about these knives with a fellow forumite not long ago. Apart from the fact that they have some blatant Emerson coppies, as well as others. There seems to be a lot of different people selling what look to be the same knives, that's never a good sign IMO. The knives are priced well and have what appear to be great materials but I have heard some less than good things about the F&F. As well as questions about weather the blades are even heat treated or what the steel is claimed to be.

I would also be concerned about where the natural materials are harvested from. Things like the shell and horn are easily accessible in Thailand but not always from the most responsible of sources.

(There are several real custom makers who make excellent knives in Thailand and they have nothing to do with this apparent "knife factory" that pumps these knives out).

Just my 2p

Back