Custom Kydex Sheath?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several fixed blades that came with garbage nlonh sheaths and I'm looking for the best custom kydex sheath on the market. Do you any of you have any experience with Yellow Hawk or T.I.E. Tactical? I'm looking for the best sheath period, no compromises. Thank you

I check out all the kydex makers in that sub forum. Not impressed. Looks like typical run at mill taco and pancake sheaths. I want something that no one on the market can copy and is very iinovative without big thumb ramps. Thanx

I check out all the kydex makers in that sub forum. Not impressed. Looks like typical run at mill taco and pancake sheaths. I want something that no one on the market can copy and is very iinovative without big thumb ramps. Thanx

If you are looking for a maker that is not a member here, please do so offsite.
If you are looking for opinions on what sheath to get, then I can help.

If it's the latter, I can guarantee any of the Bladeforums makers will be willing to make whatever you want. I can assure you, you will NEVER get anything that won't be copied at some point or another. It would also help to know what knife you need a sheath for and what attachments you are looking for.

Please take a moment to look all of this over, as you are new to the forum:
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/faq.php
http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/faq.php?faq=faq_rules

Some of the best Kydex sheaths I've ever seen have come from the makers on this forum. I'm sure you can find one to make you a complete custom sheath.

Plus you're supporting the little guy.

Yeah, you aren't gonna find much better than those on the forum, looking at the other sites you posted didn't make them seem any better than what I've seen here, and tbh I think simple is better for a sheath than fancy/innovative. Better to have something that is simple and works 100% of the time, than risk having a sheath that's innovative but isn't 100% reliable or difficult to use.

Godspeed Tactical or AZWELKE both make nice Kydex.

Please don't recommend Eli or Godspeed Tactical. That's a good place to give money to if you never want to see it again. Go look him up in the Feedback section. He's been banned as a result of his propensity for taking peoples' money and disappearing.

I'm getting T.I.E. Tactical and Yellow Hawk to do a sheath(s) and see which one comes out on top. Tie tactical is doing something that I've never seen done before and Yellow Hawk does the standard taco design with options to add accessories. May the best man win.

Yeah, you aren't gonna find much better than those on the forum, looking at the other sites you posted didn't make them seem any better than what I've seen here, and tbh I think simple is better for a sheath than fancy/innovative. Better to have something that is simple and works 100% of the time, than risk having a sheath that's innovative but isn't 100% reliable or difficult to use.

If your referring to TIE Tactical as being innovative and possibly difficult to operate or concerns with reliability... He has contracts with the military and and several Japanese police agencies. With Yellow Hawk, the owner is an ex green beret. I highly doubt he would make a kydex product that was unreliable, tricky and not milspec.

I'm not trying to sound disrespectful to other kydex makers here, but their stuff appears to be basic run at the mill taco designs that any consumer can make themselves or something that everybody has done a million times in the past.

If your referring to TIE Tactical as being innovative and possibly difficult to operate or concerns with reliability... He has contracts with the military and and several Japanese police agencies. With Yellow Hawk, the owner is an ex green beret. I highly doubt he would make a kydex product that was unreliable, tricky and not milspec.

I'm not trying to sound disrespectful to other kydex makers here, but their stuff appears to be basic run at the mill taco designs that any consumer can make themselves or something that everybody has done a million times in the past.

Well, you really can't appreciate well-made kydex until you've handled some that isn't. In your case, you have obviously been sold by the advertising rather than by the usability, and thus really don't care what everybody here thinks as you're gonna get what you want anyway.

I personally think the TIE sheaths look terrible, overcomplicated, and impractical at best. The Yellow Hawk sheaths don't look any different than what you'd find here.

If you even bothered to talk to any of the good kydex benders here you'd realize the skill it takes to make a proper sheath out of it, and how much care they take to make the best product possible. Dissing them because they look boring and assuming that their simple looks beget a cheap manufacturing just shows your naivete and lack of knowledge. Good luck with your fancy toys, hope they are as fantastic as you've been led to believe.

You asked for opinions and you disregarded everything said, and still went your own way. Please don't create a thread if you already know what you want.

Well, you really can't appreciate well-made kydex until you've handled some that isn't. In your case, you have obviously been sold by the advertising rather than by the usability, and thus really don't care what everybody here thinks as you're gonna get what you want anyway.

I personally think the TIE sheaths look terrible, overcomplicated, and impractical at best. The Yellow Hawk sheaths don't look any different than what you'd find here.

If you even bothered to talk to any of the good kydex benders here you'd realize the skill it takes to make a proper sheath out of it, and how much care they take to make the best product possible. Dissing them because they look boring and assuming that their simple looks beget a cheap manufacturing just shows your naivete and lack of knowledge. Good luck with your fancy toys, hope they are as fantastic as you've been led to believe.

Actually, I've had several well known companies make sheaths for my knives. Grizzly outdoors, red hill and amrmadillo. All good sheaths but their designs are all pretty much the same. You said that TIE Tactical is ugly and complicated? Again, our military, air marshalls and japanese police agencies use them.

Also... Tactical really likes TIE Tactical as well. [youtube]yIo4yp2Ks38[/youtube]

Actually, I've had several well known companies make sheaths for my knives. Grizzly outdoors, red hill and amrmadillo. All good sheaths but their designs are all pretty much the same. You said that TIE Tactical is ugly and complicated? Again, our military, air marshalls and japanese police agencies use them.

Also... Tactical really likes TIE Tactical as well.

You keep saying that like it's somehow an end-all to the discussion. How many different agencies actually use them? I've never heard of them before today, and they certainly don't look like something that a real military would use on a normal basis, too flashy/showy for someone who usually goes for the lowest bidder.

I tend to think if a design works, why change it? Perfect it, yes, but changing it often just leads to unnecessary additions.

edit: watching that video made me like their designs less, it seems the amateur youtuber in the video had a very hard time actually removing the knife from the sheath, something that is arguably the second-most important part about a sheath, other than retention. I hesitate to mention that said youtuber is definitely not on my list of people to take seriously, wearing a ski mask and hacking up a tree in your video intro is a quick way to have me close the video and ignore it.

So why are asking our opinions if you already know what you want? Just go with the guys you mentioned and be done with it.

You keep saying that like it's somehow an end-all to the discussion. How many different agencies actually use them? I've never heard of them before today, and they certainly don't look like something that a real military would use on a normal basis, too flashy/showy for someone who usually goes for the lowest bidder.

I tend to think if a design works, why change it? Perfect it, yes, but changing it often just leads to unnecessary additions.

Change also leads to a better product. Prime example... The M-16. Right now, Yellow Hawk is dominating the kydex knife sheath industry. Gideon Tactical and Chris Tanner with Prepared Mind 101 raves about their sheaths. We will find out real soon, who is the best on the market. To me, I don't compromise with tactical gear. I want the very best tool for the job. The sheaths from TIE Tactical and Yellow Hawk will be at my door step around 10 days. I will do a in depth review and test on both of these sheaths. May the best man win.

Sorry but I just don't see the appeal to overly complicated multi (3 or over) piece sheathes with radical graphics on them. I just need my sheath to do its job with the least amount of fuss possible. But if you like them, more power to you!

So why are asking our opinions if you already know what you want? Just go with the guys you mentioned and be done with it.

Real simple... I was looking for user experience with both of these companies due to the high traffic on this forum. Not trying to be disrespectful to the paying vendors on this forum. I dont compromise, I'm looking for the best sheath for my knives.

Sorry but I just don't see the appeal to overly complicated multi (3 or over) piece sheathes with radical graphics on them. I just need my sheath to do its job with the least amount of fuss possible. But if you like them, more power to you!

Do you not want the best tool for the job instead of compromising? Why bash when you have absolutely zero experience from either of these companies. The only real way to know for sure is get one yourself and test it. I'm sure either of these companies would give you your money back if you aren't happy. Sometimes, change is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back