Custom Kydex Sheath?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I caught the post later as well. Note to the OP, there is a very recent and very important thread started here and now in the GB&U about a really bad sheath made by a very experienced military man. Skills and craftsmanship are not something earned in the field, they are learned and practiced at the bench.

Being a soldier doesnt make a person an expert at sheath and holster construction any more than being a sheath and holster maker an expert at military maneuvers.

Having an opinion about a product, again, is neither an attack or endorsement, its simply an opinion.

Are you referring to Doug Wilson with Yellow Hawk? He's an ex green beret.

I caught the post later as well. Note to the OP, there is a very recent and very important thread started here and now in the GB&U about a really bad sheath made by a very experienced military man. Skills and craftsmanship are not something earned in the field, they are learned and practiced at the bench.

Being a soldier doesnt make a person an expert at sheath and holster construction any more than being a sheath and holster maker an expert at military maneuvers.

Having an opinion about a product, again, is neither an attack or endorsement, its simply an opinion.
Are you referring to Doug Wilson with Yellow Hawk? He's an ex green beret.

leatherman, is the thread you're mentioning the 'Yellowhawk sheath issues' thread on page 2 here? It's been edited to the point of not having any info about the problem, and was never moved to GBU either, so currently not useful. But, as far as H&K goes I'd recommend you take at least the fact that the thread was posted in the first place as a cause for hesitation about trusting Yellow Hawk 100%. People have faked military backgrounds before, it often is used as a selling point when actual experience in the field doesn't exist.

leatherman, is the thread you're mentioning the 'Yellowhawk sheath issues' thread on page 2 here? It's been edited to the point of not having any info about the problem, and was never moved to GBU either, so currently not useful. But, as far as H&K goes I'd recommend you take at least the fact that the thread was posted in the first place as a cause for hesitation about trusting Yellow Hawk 100%. People have faked military backgrounds before, it often is used as a selling point when actual experience in the field doesn't exist.

Hmmm... That's a shame the whole entire thread was edited by the mods. That thread is completely usesless. As far as yellow hawk goes.... He is extremely popular right now. Gideon Tactical and Prepared Mind 101 raves about them and has done several video reviews for the company. Kinda hard to believe a man would claim to be in the special forces and give specifics about his unit and m.o.s. I will do research and find out. My buddy is a p.i. and is very resourceful.

Hmmm... That's a shame the whole entire thread was edited by the mods. That thread is completely usesless.

The post edited in the thread was done by the OP, not the mods.

As far as yellow hawk goes.... He is extremely popular right now. Gideon Tactical and Prepared Mind 101 raves about them and has done several video reviews for the company. Kinda hard to believe a man would claim to be in the special forces and give specifics about his unit and m.o.s. I will do research and find out. My buddy is a p.i. and is very resourceful.

Should probably note that nobody is saying that. Simply pointing out that it has nothing to do with the product and historically some people have exaggerated a bit to appeal to a market, which makes it an even weaker selling point. Just my thoughts.

At the risk of being misunderstood, I'll also note that I've never heard of Mil-Spec or "military grade" Kydex before Today. Admittedly the whole "tactical" thing is a bit weird to me though.

His military career is not the point in any form or fashion, at least from my view. His using his military history as the reason he is a skilled craftsman might be. If he put out a bad sheath, then he needs to correct that, period.

The thread is question was NOT modified by a moderator! the OP deleted his post in order to move it to the GB&U, guess he did not follow through. Look at the bottom of his post and it will state who edited it before you go accusing anything.

If this thread continues to decline into a "he said, she said" it has lost its value.

EDIT: Looks like we were writing at the same time with the same message, good to see we are in synch. :)

I know of one YouTube video of a yellow hawk sheath that was removed. No way to view it. Supposedly is from a pissed off customer that got a crappy sheath from yellow hawk. Maybe he stepped up his game, who knows. I know now that he is extremely popular. We will know soon enough when the sheaths get to my door step. I'm not a fan boy, if the sheath sux... Everybody will know.

good to see we are in synch. :)

Now I have that "Bye Bye" song stuck in my head.

For some reason I was just thinking that if Jenna Marbles started doing tactical/bushcraft review videos on YT I might actually pay more attention to 'em.

I know of one YouTube video of a yellow hawk sheath that was removed. No way to view it. Supposedly is from a pissed off customer that got a crappy sheath from yellow hawk. Maybe he stepped up his game, who knows. I know now that he is extremely popular. We will know soon enough when the sheaths get to my door step. I'm not a fan boy, if the sheath sux... Everybody will know.

It does seem you put a lot of stock into reviews done by youtubers, that seems to be the only resource you've used in your arguments trying to prove your point. While there are some good, rather un-biased youtube reviewers out there, sadly there are 10x as many average and/or biased youtubers also doing reviews that should be taken with a grain of salt. A rule of thumb for the internet is never trust just one source, or even 2 or 3, especially if they're all on youtube/instragram/facebook, as there's a ton of misleading crap out there. Do your research thoroughly for best results, the better something is the more people talk about it, and any problems usually pop up if you dig just a little bit.

You just hadda share didn't you! Now its stuck in my head and I never did like them!!! :p

You Tube is like eBay, caveat emptor. Don't believe every listing, and every claim.

A craftsman should let his work speak for him, if he needs some gimmick or past non related experience to boost himself he might not be all he claims. I got where I am through hard work, not my past, and most of the craftsmen here can claim the same. Yes, I do like the work that Kevin does, always have. Its outside the box for sure, and that is what makes it different in a world full of cookie cutter sheaths. He's not the best because he is different, he's in a good crowd here at Blade Forums and does stand out as original, and that not not easy to do. He's made his niche by working hard and making a good product, not by spouting any history to stake his claim. That I admire most.

Thanks for alerting me to those companies. They are new to me. The sheaths don't look like my style. I look for dependability, simplicity, durability, strong retention and the ability to fully grip the handle while unsheathing. After trying a lot of sheaths, I find that azwelke's taco style kydex sheaths work best for me. Check him out.

I like the retention feature in that TIE sheath you showed but it blocks the handle so wouldn't work for me. I think you rubbed some members here the wrong way because though you stated that you were trying not to offend our forum kydex makers, you really did. Their sheaths are great. You keep saying you want the best sheath. Eventually you will realize there is no such thing. They all have pro's and con's and you have to decide what features are important to you.

I agree with the other members by warning you to be careful of marketing tricks. Maybe I am overly cautious but I am always looking for the motives. For example, you have little history here on the forum and seem to be more interested in pushing your opinion than obtaining other members opinions. So I find myself asking, what are your motives and maybe the thread is just a marketing ploy. Other examples of poor marketing would be the "designed by special forces... Used by special forces, etc. You hit on all these. I am sure seal team 6 has all types of gear but that does not mean that gear is right for me or that they would make great craftsmen.

Regardless, whether you are advertising the sheaths or falling for the advertising of the sheaths, good luck. Hopefully you don't have to spend as much as I have before finding the sheaths that work for you.

Go back and read this thread. The first page, people made comments about the sheaths like they own one. All assumptions with zero experience. I guess you could call that an attack lol. How do you know these sheaths wouldn't work for you when you've never contacted the company? He makes leg drop systems, auto deploy folder sheaths, gun holsters, attachment rigs... Pretty much anything to do with kydex... They can do it. Like I've said numerous times, there's some very strong biased opinions here. I get it, people support who they like. I have experience with big kydex makers. My opinion matters because I actually own the products. Your looking at one design that TIE Tactical makes and are judging them solely on that one product. Again... Your favorite sheath you own and love... He can build the same exact one. What your guys can't do is build their design even if they tried. Think outside the box. Sometimes change is good. You never know, I might hate the sheath when I get it in my hands. Only one way to find out.

I like Kevin, heck I even stumbled across someone on you tube ripping off his design and told him about it, he was very cool and tankful for the info.

You will hopefully be happy with Kevins sheaths/product.

I do not know if I have ever made anything for you on not, I do not recognize your screen name.

One thing you keep stating is "your guys can't do is build their design even if they tried." which could be true in some cases but anyone that has been working with kydex for over a decade can pretty easily duplicate what some other do, if they have an artistic flair I am 100% sure they could duplicate it.

The thing is a honorable person would not duplicate/steal someones unique design.

Maybe, just maybe that is why most kydex guys have not ripped off Kevins designs ?

Take a step back look at the opinions You asked for and look at it in a different light.

A lot of what you have said about the kydex guys here offering their talent and service is insulting.

But hey its the weekend kick back relax and have a great weekend

Thanks and I hope this helps

David

Nice! David Brown! I believe I have two of your sheaths you made for Bradford, Guardian 3s. One is mine and one is my daughter's.

I agree with what the Mods, who generously give their time, and what David has said. Not much more to add. I gave my thoughts on kydex. I am a sheath junkie/snob. I know what I like and want. It certainly does not mean what I like is what others will like. I have never been in this part of the forum before. I will now make this one of my stops when I check on my favorite spots here on BFC. Thanks all.

Thanks for alerting me to those companies. They are new to me. The sheaths don't look like my style. I look for dependability, simplicity, durability, strong retention and the ability to fully grip the handle while unsheathing. After trying a lot of sheaths, I find that azwelke's taco style kydex sheaths work best for me. Check him out.

I like the retention feature in that TIE sheath you showed but it blocks the handle so wouldn't work for me. I think you rubbed some members here the wrong way because though you stated that you were trying not to offend our forum kydex makers, you really did. Their sheaths are great. You keep saying you want the best sheath. Eventually you will realize there is no such thing. They all have pro's and con's and you have to decide what features are important to you.

I agree with the other members by warning you to be careful of marketing tricks. Maybe I am overly cautious but I am always looking for the motives. For example, you have little history here on the forum and seem to be more interested in pushing your opinion than obtaining other members opinions. So I find myself asking, what are your motives and maybe the thread is just a marketing ploy. Other examples of poor marketing would be the "designed by special forces... Used by special forces, etc. You hit on all these. I am sure seal team 6 has all types of gear but that does not mean that gear is right for me or that they would make great craftsmen.

Regardless, whether you are advertising the sheaths or falling for the advertising of the sheaths, good luck. Hopefully you don't have to spend as much as I have before finding the sheaths that work for you.

Thanx for alerting you? Like TIE Tactical is a such huge gimmick and so disfunctional that our military, Japanese police agencies, scallywag knives, tops knives, and US air marshalls were tricked in using his sheaths. Thank God for blade forums for putting TIE Tactical's scam to a quick stop! I'm sorry but non of those companies listed above and the military and our government security agencies wouldn't sign contracts with a garbage company. Come on with the biased bs.

Thanx for alerting you? Like TIE Tactical is a such huge gimmick and so disfunctional that our military, Japanese police agencies, scallywag knives, tops knives, and US air marshalls were tricked in using his sheaths. Thank God for blade forums for putting TIE Tactical's scam to a quick stop! I'm sorry but non of those companies listed above and the military and our government security agencies wouldn't sign contracts with a garbage company. Come on with the biased bs.

I think tueller was simply thanking you for bringing two makers he wasn't aware of to his attention. You seem to be taking offense at courtesy.

I think tueller was simply thanking you for bringing two makers he wasn't aware of to his attention. You seem to be taking offense at courtesy.

No he wasn't. He was clearly making a biased opinion and providing free advertising for a company thats made a sheath for me that I think is average... Nothing special. I don't give opinions on products unless I've held them in my hands or own them.

No he wasn't. He was clearly making a biased opinion and providing free advertising for a company thats made a sheath for me that I think is average... Nothing special. I don't give opinions on products unless I've held them in my hands or own them.

Haha. Yes Kiah, exactly right. I was just trying to thank him for the heads up about two makers that I didn't know about. I like learning about new stuff. Lol. No biggie.

Haha. Yes Kiah, exactly right. I was just trying to thank him for the heads up about two makers that I didn't know about. I like learning about new stuff. Lol. No biggie.

You can take your biased bs wherever you came from. I own a sheath made by azwelke. Not impressed. Like I've mentioned to many times in this thread, I am not interested in getting sheaths made for my knives from most of these sheath sellers on this forum because... I've already had one made by them. Azwelke for my tops anaconda b7, Tom Brown sheath came a knife I traded for... Sheath thrown in the trash. I'm only interested in receiving feedback from others on this forum that owns or has owned sheaths made by TIE Tactical and Yellow Hawk. That should make it less of a headache and people can stop pushing their average gear and I won't get pissed off. Thank you for your time and understanding.

You can take your biased bs wherever you came from. I own a sheath made by azwelke. Not impressed. Like I've mentioned to many times in this thread, I am not interested in getting sheaths made for my knives from most of these sheath sellers on this forum because... I've already had one made by them. Azwelke for my tops anaconda b7, Tom Brown sheath came a knife I traded for... Sheath thrown in the trash. I'm only interested in receiving feedback from others on this forum that owns or has owned sheaths made by TIE Tactical and Yellow Hawk. That should make it less of a headache and people can stop pushing their average gear and I won't get pissed off. Thank you for your time and understanding.

Seriously man? This is just disrespectful.

H&K, I am about a hairs breath of closing this thread and handing out some heavy infractions. Lets let it lie at this, drop it and relax, walk away and cool off.

Do not walk away and continue on this path and we will have words. First and only verbal warning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back