Custom Manchu Hunting Knife Replica

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
We were recently approached to make a manchu hunting knife or shundao. The blade looked very simple and rugged in construction and something the smiths could absolutely breeze through.

20200503_224305 (1)-min.jpg

The sheath however is not so simple. While custom blades are common for our smiths we make a lot less sheaths that require patterns. As a result things are a lot more automatic and disrupting that flow to alter things can prove challenging. If you have a look at this pattern you'll see how it may have been a bit of an issue for the smiths.

20200517_013947 (2)-min.jpg

The end result though is pretty clean! I think there's room to improve on the fittings but it's great to try another blade form out.

3m7nxftd03m71.jpg

A touch under 17" blade with a slim profile, beefy spine and double edged tip. A very practical fighting blade that can chop and clear brush too. More info on the blade here https://www.mandarinmansion.com/item/large-manchu-knife

l4i8sv2e03m71.jpg

m9q6hs8e03m71.jpg

ngmholee03m71.jpg

What do you guys think? Is this a historical blade that you could use in the modern day?
Or is this best left in the history books?
Take care,
Andrew

Love the simple lines
Same! We had a message on instagram saying how it would be cool with an S guard but I really like the understated flow of the thing

Great job capturing the essence of the original!
Much appreciated! My favourite part is the shaping of the pommel. Plate steel tapered from an oblong into a rounded cone by hand. Looks clean an matches the original beautifully

Last edited:
We were recently approached to make a manchu hunting knife or shundao. The blade looked very simple and rugged in construction and something the smiths could absolutely breeze through.

View attachment 1635549

The sheath however is not so simple. While custom blades are common for our smiths we make a lot less sheaths that require patterns. As a result things are a lot more automatic and disrupting that flow to alter things can prove challenging. If you have a look at this pattern you'll see how it may have been a bit of an issue for the smiths.

View attachment 1635550

The end result though is pretty clean! I think there's room to improve on the fittings but it's great to try another blade form out.

3m7nxftd03m71.jpg

A touch under 17" blade with a slim profile, beefy spine and double edged tip. A very practical fighting blade that can chop and clear brush too. More info on the blade here https://www.mandarinmansion.com/item/large-manchu-knife

l4i8sv2e03m71.jpg

m9q6hs8e03m71.jpg

ngmholee03m71.jpg

What do you guys think? Is this a historical blade that you could use in the modern day?
Or is this best left in the history books?
Take care,
Andrew
Perfect! I think it would make a good fighter, a hunting sword to dispatch wounded game, and even a status symbol if decorated appropriately. Left in the history books? No.

Last edited:
Back