Custom Modern ginunting from Kailash

Kailash Blades

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Another custom ginunting!

82mu2ei6fog71.jpg

This one is a touch leaner than the previous blades and has a portion of sharpened back edge.

4o9lqbsegog71.png

16" blade with western Leather sheath with rosewood handle and brass hardware.

szpzdka5fog71.png

With the amount of interest we've had in these blades we're considering making it a standard option, maybe in a few lengths. We're not sure if we should make a light and fast martial arts oriented blade or a rough and tough sword that lands halfway between a khukuri and machete for balance. What would you guys prefer?
Take care,
Andrew and the team at Kailash

i0y01na5fog71.png

Both options? That handle is quite interesting. Looks like another specimen to find itself on my wish list...

That's a tricky one. We've found that having blades with different balances as options a bit challenging, with out sirupate and chitlange blade lengths for example. We might get two reviews next to each other come out with one person saying a sirupate is light and fast and well suited for bushcraft and another person saying that it's powerful and slow and not well suited for martial arts (because one person chose the 14" and one chose the 21"). If we were to do two different profiles, a different product page and name for two different producs coul be the way to go.

That's a tricky one. We've found that having blades with different balances as options a bit challenging, with out sirupate and chitlange blade lengths for example. We might get two reviews next to each other come out with one person saying a sirupate is light and fast and well suited for bushcraft and another person saying that it's powerful and slow and not well suited for martial arts (because one person chose the 14" and one chose the 21"). If we were to do two different profiles, a different product page and name for two different producs coul be the way to go.
Makes sense. The chitlange was the first thing I ordered and didn't have trouble deciding options. The sirupate on the other hand... I'm still grappling with options. And I have very little familiarity with ginuntings which would make it even more challenging
On a slightly separate note, do you have a gallery of your more common custom requests? I've seen a number of these, a few gladius(es), and at least one kris... I like those. At some point, I'm thinking of a dui chirra with either a different micarta configuration and/or a different handle and am curious about what kind of options would be possible there.

Last edited:
I like the idea of a tougher ginunting over a leaner, martial arts focused one. Mainly because historically, ginuntings were used as general camp knives as well as weapons (much like kukris I suppose).

Makes sense. The chitlange was the first thing I ordered and didn't have trouble deciding options. The sirupate on the other hand... I'm still grappling with options. And I have very little familiarity with ginuntings which would make it even more challenging
On a slightly separate note, do you have a gallery of your more common custom requests? I've seen a number of these, a few gladius(es), and at least one kris... I like those. At some point, I'm thinking of a dui chirra with either a different micarta configuration and/or a different handle and am curious about what kind of options would be possible there.

The chitlange is a lot more focused- it's a fast fighting blade at any length really. The sirupate however really weaves in and out of different utilities through its size range.
As far as common custom requests go, our instagram is really the best place to find that and unfortunately there's a lot of workshop photos and other content to wade through as we go. If you see anything on there I should be able to track down a pattern and pricing etc and advise on anyting similar. The most common custom requests we get are probably
1. add a guard
2. remove cho/edge until bolster
3. scourge handle on another blade
4. include karda and chakmak
5. make one of our 2 gladius designs
6. make one of our 3+ ginunting designs

I've been working on something related recently and will make a new thread and tag you about it.

I like the idea of a tougher ginunting over a leaner, martial arts focused one. Mainly because historically, ginuntings were used as general camp knives as well as weapons (much like kukris I suppose).

With the modern blades like those used in the military they're definitely brush clearing blades as well as fighters. I've done a bit of research and have seen some antique pieces that are built quite differently with a very meagre build and narrow application for combat only really. I feel like a rough use fighter is a more popular style but a more dedicated refined blade is perhaps a less crowded market and something that could be good to offer some representation for

Back