• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Custom order etiquette: Am I being impatient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a guy who waited 6 years for a $4500 bike frame I'd be patient.
I'm lurking and almost kept my mouth shut.
Let me guess . . . carbon fiber ?
From my teens I trained to make custom steel frames for a living.
Then MTBs hit; I have a love hate with those and most certainly would never consider making one for anybody. Mud magnets; huh.
When my hero builders (of steel frames) started packing it in I knew I was done before I got all the way off the run way.
I'm only interested in steel road and touring so that's that.

NOW FOR WHAT I WANTED TO ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE :
I ordered a custom tool (won't bore you with more off topic topics). The result was I finally got it, in decent amount of time luckily, and next thing I know the maker closed his books for good (with a five year wait previous to that on some items) and the value of my item doubled over night. I have no intension of selling it but . . . that was fun. And I no way would be able to pay the price for the tool now adays at the double price.
PS: the tool was PERFECTION ! Very accurate and perfectly formed in any which way I checked it and I know how / have the tools to check it.

Thanks for all of the feedback! The maker is Hoffman Blacksmithing, and the item I ordered is a camp axe. I've followed him on youtube and IG, and it seems like he's a genuinely good guy with intent to deliver on his promises.

I think that by this stage you are more than entitled to a definite time commitment from the maker.

Did you pay upfront for the axe or give a deposit? If you did pay a deposit what percentage of the total amount does it represent?

I don't understand why knife makers can't give a timeline. I've spent between 3 & 4k on custom basses. Timelines were given with soft deadlines that the maker expected to reach with updates along the way. I've had basses that were not completed by deadlines but communication was given and I knew what to expect.

I don't understand why custom knife makers can't follow similar guidelines. I could be way off but it seems like a similar process to me.

Thanks for all of the feedback! The maker is Hoffman Blacksmithing, and the item I ordered is a camp axe. I've followed him on youtube and IG, and it seems like he's a genuinely good guy with intent to deliver on his promises.

I'm not too concerned with waiting longer, but moreso with the response from Hoffman to my one and only inquiry which I felt to be a bit off-putting. And at this point, I still don't really have any idea how much longer the wait could be.

It also doesn't help that he's about to start accepting new orders in a few days, which implies that he's nearly all caught up. I'm not sure how that could be the case if I haven't received my order from over two years ago.
Sorry, I didn't read your post very well! :oops:
Seeing as you ordered an axe and now he is getting ready to take new orders for axes...you should be the first in line to receive yours.

I don't understand why custom knife makers can't follow similar guidelines. I could be way off but it seems like a similar process to me.

Likely just over optimistic, then a little delay here a little delay there, buyers making a few changes and life. Before long you are off your original schedule. Some of course are going to be better at predicting than others. I can understand all this. What I don't understand is why they can't send out a periodic memo to all those waiting to let them know how things stand. You may not be thrilled about a delay, but at least you know they are thinking of you.
I have had a couple I never heard from again. They seemed to have changed their business model along the way and never bothered to inform me. Luckily no deposit.

I believe I saw where he's going into more of the production route. Still hand made, but think more along the lines of companies like GB or Wetterlings for lack of a better example offhand to compare it to. His recent popularit definitely doesn't help. WCF will hopefully be gearing up again soon and also makes nice axes and hawks. Maybe contact Philip West on here to inquire when they'll be taking new orders.

I don't understand why knife makers can't give a timeline. I've spent between 3 & 4k on custom basses. Timelines were given with soft deadlines that the maker expected to reach with updates along the way. I've had basses that were not completed by deadlines but communication was given and I knew what to expect.

I feel the same way, if the knifemaker does it full time. They should have a pretty good idea of how long it takes them to make a knife. Factor in the expected (like vacation) and the unexpected (like illness) and you should be able to come up with a timeframe for delivery of your product.

I'm lurking and almost kept my mouth shut.
Let me guess . . . carbon fiber ?
From my teens I trained to make custom steel frames for a living.
Then MTBs hit; I have a love hate with those and most certainly would never consider making one for anybody. Mud magnets; huh.
When my hero builders (of steel frames) started packing it in I knew I was done before I got all the way off the run way.
I'm only interested in steel road and touring so that's that.

NOW FOR WHAT I WANTED TO ACTUALLY CONTRIBUTE :
I ordered a custom tool (won't bore you with more off topic topics). The result was I finally got it, in decent amount of time luckily, and next thing I know the maker closed his books for good (with a five year wait previous to that on some items) and the value of my item doubled over night. I have no intension of selling it but . . . that was fun. And I no way would be able to pay the price for the tool now adays at the double price.
PS: the tool was PERFECTION ! Very accurate and perfectly formed in any which way I checked it and I know how / have the tools to check it.

It’s a Richard Sachs lugged steel cyclocross

I got my Hoffman axe after about a year getting in on his list somewhat early. He was making everything on his own at that time. He got popular in a hurry and his appearance on “Forged in Fire” blew his orders through the roof.

Over the last couple of years he’s been sending out email updates that explain how fast he got overwhelmed with orders pushing the wait times pretty far out. He needed to update his space and equipment which created problems. He then sought to hire helpers and found that it was very hard to find anyone with any experience at all so that it wouldn’t slow the process down.

A few workers needed to be trained which happened, he got a new shop, he got more equipment and has been posting that they made huge strides in catching up orders. Sounds like you got in at the wrong time and are part of that huge bubble.

The new order system is very small. Each week a batch of no more than 10 axes are being made available (with a 10 month wait). This is so that they can keep orders coming in at a manageable pace while crushing out orders on the backlog.

He’s regularly posting update pics on Instagram showing batches of 50+ axes being finished at a time lately so they are definitely gaining ground.

Had you signed up for the newsletter, you would have been getting the updates?

Last edited:
I got my Hoffman axe after about a year getting in on his list somewhat early. He was making everything on his own at that time. He got popular in a hurry and his appearance on “Forged in Fire” blew his orders through the roof.

Over the last couple of years he’s been sending out email updates that explain how fast he got overwhelmed with orders pushing the wait times pretty far out. He needed to update his space and equipment which created problems. He then sought to hire helpers and found that it was very hard to find anyone with any experience at all so that it wouldn’t slow the process down.

A few workers needed to be trained which happened, he got a new shop, he got more equipment and has been posting that they made huge strides in catching up orders. Sounds like you got in at the wrong time and are part of that huge bubble.

The new order system is very small. Each week a batch of no more than 10 axes are being made available (with a 10 month wait). This is so that they can keep orders coming in at a manageable pace while crushing out orders on the backlog.

He’s regularly posting update pics on Instagram showing batches of 50+ axes being finished at a time lately so they are definitely gaining ground.

If he put a deposit down before the production model changed or the maker’s popularity and orders increased, wouldn’t he be entitled to the completion of his order ahead of the groundswell of new orders? I have never commissioned a custom knife so I am not aware of how it works but wouldn’t a deposit be to ensure a position in line for his axe to be completed?

If he put a deposit down before the production model changed or the maker’s popularity and orders increased, wouldn’t he be entitled to the completion of his order ahead of the groundswell of new orders? I have never commissioned a custom knife so I am not aware of how it works but wouldn’t a deposit be to ensure a position in line for his axe to be completed?

He ordered during the time that many other people were ordering as well. He was part of the wave, so yes, he should be in line for an axe....just like many hundreds of others that ordered. From a quick check, Hoffman won his episode of Forged in Fire on Sept 20, 2016.

I'd contact Liam right away period.

I've met him, hung around with him at Trackrock, know people I consider friends to consider him a friend. I'm 100% positive he'd want you to contact him................like right now.

I follow him on Youtube and IG, so I am aware of the things he’s been doing. I also received an email about a year ago from Liam explaining the additional 2-3 month wait on top of the original 18-20 month timeframe given. Since it’s now 4 months (assuming my math is right) outside of that, my main question was is it appropriate etiquette to reach out and request more information on my particular order.

I'd contact Liam right away period.

I've met him, hung around with him at Trackrock, know people I consider friends to consider him a friend. I'm 100% positive he'd want you to contact him................like right now.

i’ve found that’s easier said than done lately. His inquiries are being managed by someone else, as is his IG feed as I understand it. I believe he made this decision in order to focus on his work.

I'd request an update again. You've been more than patient with two failed deadlines since you ordered long ago.

my main question was is it appropriate etiquette to reach out and request more information on my particular order.

I do believe in being patient and not pestering makers, but I think a follow up inquiry is acceptable here. I wouldn't do a bunch of complaining at this point, but just ask about the time table for your order, and to confirm you are still to receive a custom tool -which it seemed you ordered.
Good luck

I follow him on Youtube and IG...my main question was is it appropriate etiquette to reach out and request more information on my particular order.

Sure you can, and I’d probably do the same. I wasn’t aware that you knew all that was happening, reach out for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back