• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Custom order etiquette: Am I being impatient?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to wait, just give Gaucheist a delivery date. The "build" schedule is posted on his site. The number he gave is nothing special, it's available as well.

Crucifying makers is easier when you establish a unscrupulous pattern of behavior. Survive! is an excellent example of a maker that perpetually fleeces their customers and the unwary public with their purposeful refusal to operate with integrity and learn from their constant mistakes. As of yet, Liam has not demonstrated this unsavory pattern to my knowledge. If he has, please point to the numerous threads of disgruntled customers or the many call-outs in the wild frontier that is social media or elaborate how you feel his current business is being dishonest and is designed to screw people over. If you can say with certainty and evidence that he has established such behavior, then please cast all the stones you like.

Otherwise, you are simply piling on with your rather typical spite.

Now, I've monitored the GBU for quite some time and it is a good way to establish how the winds blow when it comes to makers, buyers, and sellers. It is easy for us to say that no knife maker worth his/her salt would ever request a deposit. On the flip side of that, we tend to forget that it is not uncommon and is even customary for craftsmen of custom goods to take deposits. If I had not become a member here with BladeForums, I would never have realized that taking a deposit was frowned upon. (That said, the size of said deposit can certainly make for a contentious topic all on its own....) As a hobbyist leather worker, I take on the occasional bespoke commission. I have had folks disappear on me, leaving me with a product that I have to try and resell, in many cases I can't due to requested personalized features. Because of this, I require a 25% deposit (the average cost of my goods is around $100-$150). This ensures that the customer has some skin in the game and may not disappear quite so readily when the time comes for them to pay the balance.

Some time before I became active here on BF, when I was more active on other social media platforms, I had plenty of interactions with Liam. If you are familiar with the term, "Axe Junkies", then you have undoubtedly run into Liam. He's a good kid, with a great skill set, and a passion for what he does. I feel that he took on way more than he was capable of delivering in a timely manner and he has admitted to such. Time will certainly tell if he is truly learning from these hiccups, I surely hope that he does. And it is because of this that I feel some grace is warranted rather than the typical torch and pitchfork brigade.

With all of that said, I am eager to see how the OP is going to be taken care of. A specific and expedited ETA is the most favorable resolution, otherwise a refund should certainly be issued if the OP no longer wants to wait. Also, did we ever establish what the OP was having made? Was it an axe or a knife? I've seen folks here in this thread state one or the other. If it was indeed a knife, then the delays make some bit of sense, Liam doesn't make many of those. If it was an axe, then I hold out hope that it can be delivered soon.

Crucifying makers is easier when you establish a unscrupulous pattern of behavior. Survive! is an excellent example of a maker that perpetually fleeces their customers and the unwary public with their purposeful refusal to operate with integrity and learn from their constant mistakes. As of yet, Liam has not demonstrated this unsavory pattern to my knowledge. If he has, please point to the numerous threads of disgruntled customers or the many call-outs in the wild frontier that is social media or elaborate how you feel his current business is being dishonest and is designed to screw people over. If you can say with certainty and evidence that he has established such behavior, then please cast all the stones you like.

Otherwise, you are simply piling on with your rather typical spite.

Now, I've monitored the GBU for quite some time and it is a good way to establish how the winds blow when it comes to makers, buyers, and sellers. It is easy for us to say that no knife maker worth his/her salt would ever request a deposit. On the flip side of that, we tend to forget that it is not uncommon and is even customary for craftsmen of custom goods to take deposits. If I had not become a member here with BladeForums, I would never have realized that taking a deposit was frowned upon. (That said, the size of said deposit can certainly make for a contentious topic all on its own....) As a hobbyist leather worker, I take on the occasional bespoke commission. I have had folks disappear on me, leaving me with a product that I have to try and resell, in many cases I can't due to requested personalized features. Because of this, I require a 25% deposit (the average cost of my goods is around $100-$150). This ensures that the customer has some skin in the game and may not disappear quite so readily when the time comes for them to pay the balance.

Some time before I became active here on BF, when I was more active on other social media platforms, I had plenty of interactions with Liam. If you are familiar with the term, "Axe Junkies", then you have undoubtedly run into Liam. He's a good kid, with a great skill set, and a passion for what he does. I feel that he took on way more than he was capable of delivering in a timely manner and he has admitted to such. Time will certainly tell if he is truly learning from these hiccups, I surely hope that he does. And it is because of this that I feel some grace is warranted rather than the typical torch and pitchfork brigade.

With all of that said, I am eager to see how the OP is going to be taken care of. A specific and expedited ETA is the most favorable resolution, otherwise a refund should certainly be issued if the OP no longer wants to wait. Also, did we ever establish what the OP was having made? Was it an axe or a knife? I've seen folks here in this thread state one or the other. If it was indeed a knife, then the delays make some bit of sense, Liam doesn't make many of those. If it was an axe, then I hold out hope that it can be delivered soon.
The makers I have dealt with the refused a deposit implied the reason was they never wanted to have their reputation tainted by a thread like this.

The makers I have dealt with the refused a deposit implied the reason was they never wanted to have their reputation tainted by a thread like this.

To be clear, I am not arguing in favor of deposits or even against them, I think that there are pros and cons to both sides of that particular discussion. None of the makers here that I have had business with required a deposit and I think, overall, that is a good practice for the reason you stated above. Should things happen, the customer is not out any dollars, just time and wasted anticipation.

The custom maker (Phillip Patton) I have dealt most recently with has delivered on time, he has also communicated back and forth with me weekly while forging & while working on progress he updates me.
I offered a deposit up front or the full payment- he declined. I would contact them and communicate clearly as when your custom order will be either STARTED or COMPLETED.

I follow Hoffman on YouTube, & feel that if you have been waiting over and beyond the original timeframe estimate that you were given when you paid your deposit, you should be allowed the option of a refund or a date of completion/shipping.
Good luck!

I was able to get a hold of Liam today. After apologizing profusely for the unsatisfactory customer service I’d received to this point, he confirmed my order is in the oven now, provided a completion time frame (end of next week), as well as a shipping time frame (end of the month).

I believe this thread helped Liam to identify a customer service issue and address it before it got any worse.

Thanks BF!

I was able to get a hold of Liam today. After apologizing profusely for the unsatisfactory customer service I’d received to this point, he confirmed my order is in the oven now, provided a completion time frame (end of next week), as well as a shipping time frame (end of the month).

I believe this thread helped Liam to identify a customer service issue and address it before it got any worse.

Thanks BF!

That is fantastic to hear! If you are able, please let us know when it arrives, that will go a long way towards instilling some measure of confidence.

Thanks BF!

It's the end of the month. Hopefully he's kept you up to date by simple emails and your knife is in the mail with at least 3-day delivery. You still happy? :)

Not sure happy is the right word for my current state ;)

I haven't received any further direct communications from Liam, but I did receive an invoice for my final payment (which I've paid) on Nov. 22. So according to my convo with Liam, that means my camp axe should be shipping out any day now.

I'll be sure to upload a photo once I've got it in my possession!

Just stumbled into this thread and it kept me on the hook for 12 train stops.
Can't wait to see this axe when you get it mate.
Fingers crossed it's as good as you had imagined.

LOL Sounds like Survive? Knives. If that's the case, you've got another two years of excuses or so before you (might) see your knife.
I was thinking the same thing.

2 years and 4 months of waiting are finally over! My camp axe arrived today, and appears to be exactly the quality tool I expected it would be. No pics or testing it out unfortunately, since I’ll be selling this one.

Thanks so much for bringing this to my attention. I feel terrible that you've been given such a vague response, and I can completely understand why you're questioning whether or not that's acceptable. Answer is, is that it's not. This business grew from a simple passion that I have for axe making. My goal is to make the best axe on earth and to deliver to everyone who is amazing enough to want to support that. We're currently in the process of replacing Jacob's position in customer service, but that doesn't excuse what's already been said. I have taken a step back both from email, and social media in order to get my head on straight, and focus on making things (what I love). Unfortunately that's let things slip between the contact of customer and maker. Please feel free to give me a call if you want to talk directly to me (828) 260-4593. As some other members who follow us closely have explained, we've been in a very tough spot for a few years now. "Growing pains". Please allow me to elaborate a little on how we got into the predicament we did and what we're doing to fix it. A couple of years ago we quickly discovered we were taking in far more orders than I could produce in my 270SF shop, so we shut down orders. Soon after that I put my money and energy into buying land, and building a large shop so that we can fill the orders I took on. Long story short, I got in a runaround with a shady contractor who cleaned my bank account and ended in a 6 month court battle. Luckily, we were able to find an already built structure 15 minutes down the road, and after feeling completely defeated we finally had something going for us in terms of expanding and filling orders. I've poured all of my time and energy into making this work. Fortunately we're at the point now where we're nearing a tipping point. Soon we'll go from behind on orders to caught up on orders, and that's all due to our diligence in improving our processes without compromising the handmade, quality aspect of it because we understand that without that, there is zero point in this business. It's a double edged sword that everyone at HB has been fighting for years. We are taking new orders now, and limiting the quantity to 10 per week (as others have said) which will not affect the timeline of any of our older orders because all of our orders are filled chronologically. By only taking 10 orders we're knocking out our backlog and getting caught up for new orders at the same time. I've had a really difficult time learning that trying to please everyone is a losing game. I assure you that I'm trying my hardest to make this work for everyone. Thank you for your patience!

I know first hand the difficulty growing pains can present to a small business, and how difficult it can be to find a good leads / customer service manager.

2 years and 4 months of waiting are finally over! My camp axe arrived today, and appears to be exactly the quality tool I expected it would be. No pics or testing it out unfortunately, since I’ll be selling this one.

Lolol

I wasn’t thrilled with the experience, and it served as a reminder of that for me. And by now I’ve got several restorations that are a joy to use. I figure someone else can receive this now in a positive way (no wait time or hassle) and appreciate it more than I would.

Unfortunately, I would likely share similar sentiments if I were in your shoes. A 2+ year wait is pretty lengthy and many things can happen/shift in that time. Tastes/needs change, priorities evolve, and life circumstances can become an increasingly poignant factor. Personally, like you did, I would have sought out other tools that would have scratched the itch for me while I waited.

Unfortunately for you, you aren't able to find satisfaction in an excellent tool and unfortunately for Liam, he has lost more than a few potential customers as a result of this situation. I continue to hope that he tightens things up and is able to continue to grow and mature his business but time will certainly tell.

I wasn’t thrilled with the experience, and it served as a reminder of that for me. And by now I’ve got several restorations that are a joy to use. I figure someone else can receive this now in a positive way (no wait time or hassle) and appreciate it more than I would.

I completely understand how you feel. Over the years I have had bad experiences with a few makers who made very nice knives, but turned out to be serious disappointments on other levels. I lost interest in keeping any knives from them thereafter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back