1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Custom Order Status Page

Discussion in 'AA Forge Knives' started by AA Forge, Dec 26, 2017.

1. mjbine

mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    My order on July 20th, 2017 that was O1 tool steel that was never out of stock, so I should receive it this week correct?

CAD likes this.
  2. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Hang in there and keep plugging along. I hope people are patient and understand the challenges, and opportunities, of running a knife business.

Adam, and hey Aaron, I had an idea and wonder if it would help? What about hiring a small staff to finish up some of the work like cutting the blanks (if that is how you do it), heat treating, handle construction and shaping, etc? And maybe start an apprentice program like Andy Roy and Fiddleback has done, so they learn the trade and you share your knowledge and the process runs smoother? And maybe have someone handle all the office work of it? Some sort of a business plan. Just my two cents.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  3. mjbine

mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    Bueller???

4. Litu

Litu Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 18, 2017
    Curious about this myself. I had an order from Jue 2017 in 52100 steel that I haven't heard a bit from since its initial order. Reached out last April asking for an update and only got a single response which avoided my question completely.

I've been trying to be understanding but Christ, the communication has been so piss poor that I'm getting fed up with it. At the very least it's guaranteed one less customer people have to compete with for the knives, as once i get mine, I'm ducking out the door as fast as my legs can carry me. This shit's for the birds

5. AA Forge

AA Forge Custom Knife Maker Moderator

Apr 8, 2010

Not only have I been updating here, but on my site where I have an “order status page”, AND through my news letter. If you look back just a couple of posts you will get your answers.

I’m only one man and althow I want to I can not update everyone individually, so I’ve been letting my public updates suffice for now. I’m sorry if this is an issue, but I’m forced choosing between spending time behind a computer asnwering questions that are already on my site and here or spending more time in the shop actually getting work done.

To answer the questions again, I’m working on orders ranging from June to Sep. with the last of the May orders mailing shortly. Finish date at this time is based more off order complexity then steel choice, because I switched all carbon steel orders from 52100 to O1 in Jan.(also can be found on my order status page) before anyone was to far behind. My hand was forced because I couldn’t get the steel for 6 months which is what has put me so far behind.

Now, please go back and read the update in full!

6. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    I also just got back from a small trip with my family, and we are getting the shop back up and running so keep an eye out for a bunch of finished orders very soon.

7. mjbine

mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    Adam,

Is it possible to give weekly updates? 15 mins a week to ease the hearts and the souls and the minds of the people in waiting.

Thank you

8. mjbine

mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    Anyone else wanting 15+ months for O1 Custom? Is O1 still out of stock?

9. Comprehensivist

Comprehensivist Platinum Member Platinum Member

Aug 23, 2008
    I would like to send you a sympathetic message, but your in-box is full.

Thanks,

Phil

10. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010

At this point it’s not the steel for your order it’s the complexity which I have told you several times now. Your order wasn’t bumped up because I switched to O1 for all orders before your was far behind.

11. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    More complicated orders are taking a little longer to not hold the whole list up. I’m very sorry for that, but I’m doing everything I can right now to get through the list as fast as I can.

12. mjbine

mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    Adam,

Thank you for the update but how many more are left that are before me? Maybe 15 minutes a week for an update would have earned you good will with your client base. That is what I was looking for.

Choppaman likes this.
  13. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010

Weekly updates are mostly pointless because I’m having to work out of order right now. No matter what I say everyone wants to know their individual order status which makes the order status updates pointless because I’m back to updating everyone on an individual basis. It’s not just 15 mins, it’s 15 mins for you, and than 15 mins for next order, and the next order, and the next order, and than the next order, and than having to explain again after spending the 15 mins on the update why it is where it is. It doesn’t take long to eat up hours for something I already have on my site. As long as I’m breathing everyone WILL get there knife, but the more time I spend updating individuals the less work I can actually get done. I’m sorry it has taken so long, the supply issue that caused this was out of my control and I’m doing everything I can to get caught up.

I’m in no way looking for sympathy, or trying to get on my soap box here, but this has been a long hard year for me. When that steel went out of stock for that long it nearly destroyed me because I had no way to do my job until it came back in. It forced me to change suppliers, steel types and close my order books which opened a whole new can of worms. After closing the books to try and get caught up I’ve been forced to balance orders with what pays my bill right now, or I won’t be able to finish orders because I have no other source of income. Some of you have treated me like I don’t care I’m behind, and that all I want is what ever makes me more money, all of which couldn’t be farther from the truth. This delay bothers me more than any of you will ever know, it’s cost me some good customers that I had for years, men that were there when I first started, and that bothers me. I’m working myself into the ground right now to get you guys your knives, but it never seems to be enough. At times I’m so frustrated with some of you and how you act over a delay on your toy that I want to say to thunder with you and throw in the towel. But I tell myself one more week because I have job to do, and I keep going. I’m not sure what the future holds, but you guys will get your knives, I’m just asking for some patience so I can get the job done and move on.

argyle1812 likes this.
  14. mgray34

mgray34 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2014
    Adam,
    I think we all understand that you have a significant workload ahead of you between the custom orders and the weekly production sales. However, and please don't take this the wrong way, I do think you could be a little more clear in your updates. Just something as simple as:

"Orders are still being delivered 11-16 months from the time of the original order date. I'm working on the most orders that were placed in September to October, 2017. I have about (X number) that I have not started on."

I think everyone can understand simple, clear, big picture updates. Maybe once or twice a month. Nothing individual, just big picture.

And, for clarity, are you making any knives out of 52100, or is everything A2 or 0-1?

15. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010

I appreciate you Matt. I know where you’re coming from, but even with what you have as an example for an update I would get guys asking where there Nov Order is because I didn't update that date range. No matter how often or detailed I always seem to be answering individuals on what is already on my site, and if I don’t give them their update then some times go off the wall on me.

To answer your question about the steel. I had to use O1 for about 20 orders, but some guys opted to change their steel to aeb-l or a cpm steel of some sort. The rest of the carbon steel orders will be 52100 as ordered. As much as I didn’t want to buy it after what the supplier has done to me and you guys it seemed to be the best thing to do. It’s what was ordered and it’s actually less expensive than O1 bar stock, so it’s a win win. A2 is an update option, but it will delay the order because I need to send it out for heat treat.

I’ll start putting updates on my site every other Sat to try to keep you guys better up to date. Expect the next one this weeekend.

Kyle363 likes this.
  16. DirtyPhill

DirtyPhill

Nov 13, 2007
    That's great that the 52100 is back on for those who ordered it.

Tekton likes this.
  17. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    I didn't have time to go over all the details on Saturday, but I will have the next update tonight.

18. mjbine

mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    Thank you

19. mjbine

mjbine

Jan 12, 2011
    Just looking for your friendly neighborhood update.

20. AA Forge

Apr 8, 2010
    I posted one last week and it’s not due for another.