Custom santoku and parer

I recently received these after commissioning them a few months back. They were made by Bob Braendle of R Braendle Knifeworks. The steel is Nichols stainless damascus in Wavepool starting at 0.080" at the heel of the spine, hardened to 58-59 HRC. The scales are desert ironwood with red micarta liners, and brass mosaic pins. Final bevel at 15 dps. They are great to use, and I'm curious how well the oxide will hold up to casual usage.

ialF9Ql.jpg

PU2wv2Y.jpg

Last edited:
Wow. THOSE are just gorgeous. The shaping on that Santoku where it joins up with the handle is brilliant. That knife would be very comfortable to use all day. I need to see some more of this gentleman's work. He "gets it". 58-59 Rockwell is PERFECT for kitchen use. Thanks for posting those photos. Wow......

Last edited:
Are you referring to the notch to allow the index finger to be further forward in a pinch grip? If so, yes, very comfortable to get way forward and have even greater control.

Last edited:
Beautiful design and workmanship.
He did marvelous work. The fit and finish are top notch and blade geometry is excellent. His prices are very reasonable -- the damascus billet was half the cost of the knives. In fact, because I picked out the billet I wanted, and there was enough material after the layout of the santoku and a few HT test coupons, he offered to do the parer for a very nominal upcharge. Really knowledgeable guy, despite being newer to the craft.

Back