Custom shop mini cr disappointment

Hello,

I haven't posted for a while and I'm usually not a complainer or nitpicker, but this experience I find to be bothersome.

On Friday I recieved my new custom shop mini crooked river in M4 from a dealer in Canada who stocks them, and the experience soured from excitement to disappointment.

First off, the action is tight, I can loosen the pivot screw completely loose, and the action wont change. I like to be able to close and open the blade with inertia, and regardless of the pivot screw i can't get that action on this knife. So thats not ideal, but i can live with it. Maybe over time it will break in although my non-custom mini crooked river could be tuned this way without break in, along with all my other axis lock benchmades.

My bigger issue, is that the blade has enough play when open that I can hear it make a single 'rattle sound' when i put pressure on it. This is verticle play, not side to side (this knife is so tight that its not capable of side to side blade play even with the pivot screw loosened out completely). I have inspected the ramp on the blade the axis pin goes over, cleaned it with a quetip, rotated the acis pin just in case it was out of round, tried pushing it further forward which does nothing because its already at the end of its traverse in the liner slot, so I'm thinking the issue HAS to be the pivot screw barrel being sloppy.

My regular mini crooked river may experience a tiny bit of this up and down blade play, but things have to line up just right before it does it. My mini grip, foray, previous mini CR that I lost as well as my current one have NO blade play, and can be tuned perfectly for me. Here, my most expensive one is by far the worst. I emailed benchmade friday night but i think I'll call tomorrow, this is really bothering me.

Also on a minor note the wood scales look a lttle weird. I know to expect variance but these ones have blonde streaks that I've never seen on any other benchmade product. I've seen darker and lighter but never blonde. This also had an effect on my initial thought while unboxing.

The other thing is being that I'm in Canads, it will probably cost me 50 dollars or more to send it in and get it back. For a knife that has never cut anything, been carried and I've had for an hour before deciding it was unacceptable. Do you think Benchmade would issue an RMA and cover the shipping? Or do they usually?
This knife was already super expensive but I thought I'd treat myself anyways and now I'm wondering if i just threw my money away, and i certainly dont want to throw good money after bad.

Needless to say I was expecting this to be my most favourite knife, and the whole experience is just one big disappointment.

Send it to benchmade for about $18.00 cdn with tracking .
Benchmade will fix it up for you and send it back with free shipping.
Don’t send the original box or you won’t see it again.
It may take a while but they do arrive eventually.

Thanks. If I'm paying for shipping I'm not sure I wouldnt rather just return it to where it came from without mentioning the problems. I guess I feel that if Benchmade made it so poorly in the first place it should be on them to take it back and fix it and I shouldn't have to pay. The knife was already 300. Maybe they'll surprise me and will do that. If not i have to think about if i want to continue with this company. Probably i would not.
Send it to benchmade for about $18.00 cdn with tracking .
Benchmade will fix it up for you and send it back with free shipping.
Don’t send the original box or you won’t see it again.
It may take a while but they do arrive eventually.

Have you contacted the dealer (presumably starts with a "W")? If it's the dealer I think it is, they have a good return policy, although I'm not sure how it works with a custom product.

I'm sorry to hear your experience, we pay a lot more for knives and I know the excitement of waiting for a custom knife. What a bummer.

Yes, i called said W dealer, as well as Benchmade today. Sending to either will cost me about 20 - 25 dollars. Oddly its cheaper to Benchmade than within Canada. The dealer can compare mine to others and send me a different one of the same, I thonk I'm on the hook for shipping. Possibly even shipping the new one to me (although they didn't exactly say).

Benchmade can try to fix it, and maybe if I include the shipping bill they would do something about it. Benchmade's customer service, to me, is no where close to as good as most companies I've dealt with (Yeti for one). After the call, i sent an email reply to someone who had just responded to me from my initial request sent on Friday (since i decided over the weekend may e a call on would be best vs waiting days for an email). If i asked direct questions in this email exchange, or try to work with them in any way they answer in canned, general terms. For example, I asked if i could get a USPS shipping label since i will be Stateside the rest of this week - totally ignored that and just emailed back i can send it in if I'd like with their warranty form attached (nothing their website couldn't already have told me).

I'm addmittedly trying to get this fixed without wasting a bunch more money. This is Benchmades fault and I'm definately disappointed in the company I once loved. I probably will never buy another Benchmade after this.
Have you contacted the dealer (presumably starts with a "W")? If it's the dealer I think it is, they have a good return policy, although I'm not sure how it works with a custom product.

I'm sorry to hear your experience, we pay a lot more for knives and I know the excitement of waiting for a custom knife. What a bummer.

Yes, i called said W dealer, as well as Benchmade today. Sending to either will cost me about 20 - 25 dollars. Oddly its cheaper to Benchmade than within Canada. The dealer can compare mine to others and send me a different one of the same, I thonk I'm on the hook for shipping. Possibly even shipping the new one to me (although they didn't exactly say).

Benchmade can try to fix it, and maybe if I include the shipping bill they would do something about it. Benchmade's customer service, to me, is no where close to as good as most companies I've dealt with (Yeti for one). After the call, i sent an email reply to someone who had just responded to me from my initial request sent on Friday (since i decided over the weekend may e a call on would be best vs waiting days for an email). If i asked direct questions in this email exchange, or try to work with them in any way they answer in canned, general terms. For example, I asked if i could get a USPS shipping label since i will be Stateside the rest of this week - totally ignored that and just emailed back i can send it in if I'd like with their warranty form attached (nothing their website couldn't already have told me).

I'm addmittedly trying to get this fixed without wasting a bunch more money. This is Benchmades fault and I'm definately disappointed in the company I once loved. I probably will never buy another Benchmade after this.

I can almost guarantee they’ll make it right. Spending $300 on a “custom” knife from a production company is a lot of money. I have yet to experience a Benchmade knife that was not able to be tuned to my liking, so I can’t relate on your experience. I’m sure you are able to and have tried the things like stropping washers and everything else YouTube has to offer for fixing your issues. I agree, buying a new “custom” shouldn’t require adjustments, but I am convinced Benchmade tries to make their knives in a way that makes everyone happy. Which can eventually and unfortunately lead to some unhappy people.
Long story short, they’ll make it right. I’m confident in the company that got me into buying knives lol they’re at fault for me spending $1k plus on single sharp objects now!

The dealer took it back and re-sent another one without the blade play. It cost me 20 dollars to mail it back. I was admittedly very annoyed, the new one is good, and I'm mostly over it now.

Good to hear.

You'd think BM would make sure the "custom" produced knives left the shop at 100%.

First off, the action is tight, I can loosen the pivot screw completely loose, and the action wont change. I like to be able to close and open the blade with inertia, and regardless of the pivot screw i can't get that action on this knife.

I just recently received my Custom Shop Mini CR and it was stiff as well. I went to adjust the pivot and found it was already loose, to the point I could back it out with my finger and no torx bit. After playing with it attempting to wear it in, I just decided to disassemble it and see what I could do. Since I'm home teleworking and social distancing I have nothing better to do... :)

As I stated, I stripped the Mini CR all the way down. The bearing surfaces inside the knife (stainless liners and bronze washers) were not what I would call "smooth." So I grabbed some wet/dry 800, 1500, and 2000 grit sand paper. I took the bronze washers and ran them on the wet 1500 and 2000 grit sand paper, then I ran them over two of my knife strops, ending up with smooth and shiny bronze washers. Next, I took the liners and went at the pivot areas with 800, 1500, and 2000 grit wet. After that I polished the pivot area of the liner with my dremel a felt tip and some flitz, while the blade was nicely finished, I also further polished the bearing area with the felt tip and flitz.

I reassembled the knife, put blue lock tire on the pivot screw and adjusted it to have the action you describe. It is MUCH smoother and now will flick out and close freely still with a centered blade.

Lifetime BM fan here, but on some newer models, the original McHenry & Williams Axis recipe has become convoluted. The original recipe made for tight, self-adjusting-with-wear vertical lockup that I'm not finding on newer models. Additionally on the newer models, little to no room for long-term wear is present. If it is, it's not near as much as say on the Mini-Grips of yesteryear.

Back