Review Custom Straight Razor from ShaveSmith

H0kieengineer

Gold Member
A few weeks ago I recieved my custom straight razor from Christopher of ShaveSmith. I love the razor, and Christopher is a great guy and I wanted to share it with you guys so that you will check out him out.

9EE864CC-1EB2-46CB-BFAD-9021D1216767.png

The scales are forged Ti and the quarter hollow ground, 8/8 blade is made of CPM M4! Christopher normally works in handmade Damascus or high carbon steel, but I requested M4 and he obliged me. According to him, it took 3 times as long to grind the blade as it normally does. Christopher names it Titan, seems fitting.

F1F247B6-65AF-4382-9C0E-DA16CC0E5986.jpeg

It is a beautiful razor and makes my vintage blade look small be comparison.

Ordering from Christopher was fantastic, he is super easy to talk to and can take a few ideas and a conversation and make nothing short of art. The scales are originally going to be plain Ti, with a red G10 wedge. Christopher suggested to go with forged Ti, since I mentioned that I work in a steel mill, to give a rougher look. The G10 would have been distracting, so he used a brass tube instead.

DB69B52F-0083-4148-A8AD-E9F0A7D40E3D.jpeg

Please go check out his website. He makes all kinds of beautiful razors, both folding and kamisoris, and has a whole gallery of his work. He is a great guy who deserves to be recognized.

Last edited:
I made a razor from HSS myself once. It is indeed a bitch to grind. One benefit is that even coarse abrasives leave a pretty decent smooth-feeling finish.

Back