Customizing my DFK CPM 3V EDC

First a little background - I got into making custom knife handles a few years ago (no knives, not my thin, just handles). About 2 years ago I came across Daniel Fairly Knives and instantly loved the designs he produced. I took a gamble, reached out to him and asked him if he would ever consider letting me collaborate on some of his knives where he'd do the blades and I'd make some custom wood handles. He graciously said yes! We did a small run of backpackers with some walnut, maple and koa handles.

I can't tell you guys how much it meant to me to have a custom maker take a chance with me - I had no reputation, only a few knife handles under my belt. It was an incredibly generous thing, and for those of you who know Daniel, it is typical of the help he gives away.

So more recently I saw the small EDC blades he started making in 3V and I jumped in on the run he just did. I asked him if he would do mine without handles, just the blade and sheath, and I would do my own handles. He again graciously said yes! I recently asked him if it would be OK if I documented the project here for you guys to enjoy.

This is a fantastic little blade shape and it just somehow works! The modified wharnie/sheepsfoot blade is my personal favorite blade shape, so I can't wait to put this thing to use! I do believe that it would be excellent with the handle length Daniel has designed. It hits the palm of your hand just right (I am imagining handles on mine here...). Having said that, I want something for my little finger to hold on to, so I am planning to capture the end of the tang with some handle material. I've done this on several other knives, so I know I can do it.

So I can't make up my mind on the handle material. All of these are pieces I have set aside for my personal collection, and this is actually the first knife I am doing simply for myself. I am leaning toward the Koa (that compression curl!!) or the mixed walnut/maple scales. The straight curly maple is really some of the nicest fiddleback maple I have ever seen, so who knows.

Now for the pictures. Feel free to comment with what direction you think I should go.

fLQaDCfl.jpg

YDv2lG0l.jpg

ym2H78kl.jpg

aDQlsekl.jpg

Last edited:
Oh... one more thing about the extension on the handle. I actually used the blade as the template! I flipped it end for end at the finger choil and lined up the spine. The end of the wharnie blade made the perfect line for extending the handle.

I also used the curve of the belly of the blade to lay out the pin and lanyard tube placement. I have used this trick on a number of knives, and you would be surprised at how well it "just works" to use the design elements in the blade and carry them over to the handle. Your eye doesn't necessarily see the carry-over of the design element, but your brain detects that things are meant to go together.

Pro Tip - that one was free of charge. :D

Nice mods, make a little blade much nicer for a full grip. I kind of like the fact that it is easy to slip into a pocket. Will be looking for your work.

Looking good, I can't wait to see more! I like the extended tang design, that is becoming your thing now!

I have a couple of extended tang knives in the works, should be fun. I like all of the wood, am partial to the bolster set and the Koa.

I think the extended tang thing is sorta becoming an IRD trademark. I like the look!

I think the extended tang thing is sorta becoming an IRD trademark. I like the look!

It is a little, isn't it. Maybe my brain is mis-wired, but I look at just about any knife and think how I would do it just a little different. In this case, it's so easy to implement existing design elements into the mods. It really is a cool little knife!

Glued up the maple/walnut scales tonight. Maple in front as a bolster, walnut for the back. Pictures of the WIP tomorrow.

All glued up. I used a 1/8" pin up front, 5/32" pin in the middle and a 1/4" lanyard tube. Pins and tube are all stainless steell.
20170417_194504[2].jpg

Handle is rough shaped. At the moment it is 3/4"+ at the thickest part. It is a bit beefier than an EDC/necker style knife, but it fills the hand great, so I am not going to take it any thinner.
20170417_225757.jpg
20170417_225821.jpg

Attachments

• 20170417_225821.jpg
    20170417_225821.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 0
I was able to get the finish sanding done and the first coat of oil on tonight. The handle shape Daniel has on these EDCs is extremely comfortable. This may be one of the most comfortable knives I've had in my hand. Walnut needs a few coats to get the pores to fill in, so I have a ways to go.
20170418_195610.jpg
20170418_195637.jpg

Final shots of the completed knife handle. My grandfather was a master carpenter, and worked at it from the time he got out of the Navy after WW II (plus a re-up for Korea) until the early 2000's. He passed along his craft to my dad, who in turn put my brother and I to work in the family shop. I suppose I've cut about 2,000,000 board feet each of walnut and maple working in that shop. Family business has long since sold, but my grandfather's legacy lives on. I have a preference for maple and walnut combinations...

fZfg73hl.jpg

tSocvm5l.jpg

Back