D2 Sebenza, help please...

Hello, this is my first post in the CR forum and I write to please ask for clarification.

Some ten years ago I bought my first Sebenza. Soon after buying it I went on a blue water fishing trip and jumped in the water with the Sebenza in my pocket. The next day I found it difficult to swing the blade open as it had rusted some at the pivot point.

I sent the knife back to CR and it was returned to me as new. I was told that the blade was made of D2 steel which would rust if left overnight inside the pocket of a pair of shorts wet with saltwater.

This happened to me, it makes sense, of course D2 will corrode if exposed for a period of time to saltwater. However, I’ve been rebuffed and called wrong because there has never been a Sebenza with a D2 blade, according to some know-it-alls. This at the general forum at BF. Would someone here, please, confirm that at least there might have been some Sebenza knives built with D2 blades? Thank you so much.

Maybe you heard or remember D2, but older Sebenzas were in BG 42, an uncommon steel these days.

Maybe you heard or remember D2, but older Sebenzas were in BG 42, an uncommon steel these days.
Maybe. Of course I can be wrong. But I’m very familiar with D2 steel and I’m almost certain the good people at CRK told me then that my knife had a D2 blade. Maybe someone who knows can tell me that there is a chance that the blade on my Sebenza is made of D2 steel. Thank you so much.

By the way, is BG 42 a stainless steel? Thank you.

I may be wrong but I believe before the Sebenza Chris made folders with D2 blades.

You have something wrong. The only Sebenza'sI have seen in D2 are the clones/fakes. If new 10 years ago it would be S30V or S35VN. If you still have it post a photo. You can also determine the blade steel by taking it apart. There will be an S or V next to the pivot hole.

I suppose you could have sent in a fake and some kind worker cleaned it up for you, but it is unlikely

If it was a true D2 Sebenza, hopefully you still have it-one of a kind and worth a mint

Last edited:
Ehhhhh, I *feel like a D2 Chris Reeve “folder(s)” did in fact exist, but we’re talking about THE FOUR LEAF CLOVER of 4-leaf clovers. If you had a D2 Chris Reeve folder shame on you for using it thus.

a D2 Reeve folder did exist decades ago (not my pic - maybe St. James) - summoning the last remaining CRK oracles @Lone_Wolfe [USER=343727]@Ajack60 @bhyde @nyefmaker and I guess @nickpp :D

CB56575E-9297-4EF4-9D50-BC9A5DE6AF40.jpeg[/USER]

Last edited:
Pics? I bet these guys could solve your mystery for you with a few good pictures.

Ehhhhh, I *feel like a D2 Chris Reeve “folder(s)” did in fact exist, but we’re talking about THE FOUR LEAF CLOVER of 4-leaf clovers. If you had a D2 Chris Reeve folder shame on you for using it thus.

a D2 Reeve folder did exist decades ago (not my pic - maybe St. James) - summoning the last remaining CRK oracles @Lone_Wolfe [USER=343727]@Ajack60 @bhyde @nyefmaker and I guess @nickpp :D

View attachment 1383573[/USER]

Great find-presume that puts it in the handmade era

View attachment 1383573[/USER]

At long last. Eureka. Thank you SO much. I didn’t know the steel was D2 when I took it fishing. However, soon after that outing I sent it to the factory, it was returned as new, and never used it again. Thank you. My memory still works. Mystery solved...!! Thanks.

cb56575e-9297-4ef4-9d50-bc9a5de6af40-jpeg.1383573
[/USER]

Is that considered a Sebenza though?

Haha, good question. I’d say a D2 CR folder technically is not a sebenza.

Only CRK can clarify - all that picture proves is that someone posted a picture of CRKs with D2 typed next to a folding CR knife. But yes I believe that picture is legit and that Mr. Reeve used D2 at some early time. Awesome for the OP if he in fact has a D2 CRK folder.

Is that considered a Sebenza though?

It would. But purchasing it 10 years ago? It’s possible. People sometimes have no idea what CRKs are worth, or know if they’re holding a CRK, some estate sales...

I saw an Umfaan go for something like $450 a few months ago on an obscure site.

Great find-presume that puts it in the handmade era

At long last. Eureka. Thank you SO much. I didn’t know the steel was D2 when I took it fishing. However, soon after that outing I sent it to the factory, it was returned as new, and never used it again. Thank you. My memory still works. Mystery solved...!! Thanks.

What is the story behind it's acquisition- new from dealer, Ebay, used, costly.
Once into handmade knives, any steel available at the time is possible, just like with any custom maker today, they can pick and choose. The production Sebenza's do not vary within time lines. There are only a few(rarely seen here) members that know his early work

Last edited:
I think this guy has a fake and just wanted some type of justification. I bet he never brings pictures forth or he never called CRK. I feel like we have been hoodwinked.

Back