D2 Sebenza, help please...

I just talked to a very nice lady at the CRK shop. She told me the blade on my knife is probably made of BG-42 steel, and that it is highly unlikely that it is made of D2.

They only used BG-42 on 2 models
1. The regular Sebenza with the bull nosed blade and scalloped lockbar cut out
2. Very early Classic MM's which have Classic MM stamped by the pivot on the lock side
If neither sounds like yours it wasn't BG-42
I don't think they made any originals in it, but few if any. 1996 was a transition year both for models-Original to Regular and blades steel ATS-34 to BG-42(Oct)

Last edited:
They only used BG-42 on 2 models
1. The regular Sebenza with the bull nosed blade and scalloped lockbar cut out
2. Very early Classic MM's which have Classic MM stamped by the pivot on the lock side
If neither sounds like yours it wasn't BG-42
I don't think they made any originals in it, but few if any. 1996 was a transition year both for models-Original to Regular and blades steel ATS-34 to BG-42(Oct)

Here’s an article that was posted about the early years, I think there’s another one saying when he came to the U.S.
Haven’t found it yet.
https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/step-back-in-time-chris-reeve-article-1983.1417732/

The further away we get from July 23 without proof the less likely a D2 Sebenza becomes......waiting with baited breath.

hmm, says he didn't know it was D2 when he took it fishing then a little later says it was labeled as D2 (presumably when he bought it) and he always thought of it as D2.

My bet is ,it's a case of mis remembering.My money is on no Legit D-2 Sebenza. I know Sea Water will rust almost anything. Anyone out there have S30V or 35 show rust from Ocean exposure ?

My bet is ,it's a case of mis remembering.My money is on no Legit D-2 Sebenza. I know Sea Water will rust almost anything. Anyone out there have S30V or 35 show rust from Ocean exposure ?
Not yet, I live near the Puget sound. I’m actually in Oregon on vacation now finally and have been using it on the beach daily and in saltwAter. All is good so far. :cool:

Today, from the owner of Nordic Knives. I’ve visited the store when it was in Solvang, CA., and very likely I bought the knife from him.

“Yes, I have been with the business since 1980, and have owned it outright for 25 years, so we may well have met each other in 1993. Reeve did indeed make Sebenza's with D2 steel, although not many.”

I’ll take pictures and post them as soon as I can. I appreciate the rational, sensible, smart and respectful responses to my OP. Thank you.
Dave Harvey is the man. Done alot of business with him and he's an incredibly knowledgeable man. One of the industrys finest.

I had no idea they moved from solvang and it blows my mind.. I had hoped to visit him very soon

It is entirely possible that Chris made some in D2. In the early days he was constantly getting special requests for unique and different things. He may very well have had a dealer who wanted a few in D2 or he may have just had some D2 stock in the workshop and decided to make a few. He did stuff like that all the time.

To say it's impossible and is a fake is simply wrong. Because it has not appeared on BF does not mean it does not exist.

However I would be wary unless the knife was verified by CRK themselves.

Not yet, I live near the Puget sound. I’m actually in Oregon on vacation now finally and have been using it on the beach daily and in saltwAter. All is good so far. :cool:

If it doesn't at least patina around salt water, it's not D2.

Back