Dad's 60th Birthday Folder

Hey BF, first off I apologize if this kind of thread has been created before but I can't find anything recent that's really relevant.

My Dad turns 60 next month and I'd really like to get him a decent folder that can replace the junky old Gerber in his pocket. He's never had a good quality pocket knife and he's recently taken notice of some of my better knives. Here are the parameters I'm looking at:

• Around $150
  • No Spyderco- he thinks the hole is goofy
  • Around 3" blade
  • No assisted open
  • Should have a pocket clip but he mostly keeps his knife in his watch pocket
  • Plain edge
  • No blade coating
  • Locking blade
  • No Buck 110
  • G10, aluminum, or nicer scales (no FRN, etc.)

Ideally, I'm looking for something kind of gentlemanly but usable (not so fancy that he won't pocket it). Thanks for the suggestions!

If he mostly keeps it in his watch pocket the pocket clip might be something to omit, so I am going to throw in several without the pocket clip. If it is essential, you can ignore this entire post. I also think that you might want to focus on knives that are short enough for watch pocket carry since that is his preference.

There are a couple of button locks that are nice, the A.G. Russell buttonlock and the Boker Titanium Blues. I have the Boker and it is a nice, stylish watch pocket knife although the blue anodizing will start to wear off at some point. Another one I like is the A.G. Russell Medium Barlow Lockback. Boker Fiskmuk. Fallkniven U2. Chambriard Compact. Something from Moki or Al Mar (which I think are made by Moki).

The Benchmade 940 is a high quality, classic edc. 3.4" S30V blade, and weighs under 3 oz.

$(KGrHqEOKjEE4rR,rMQ8BOQtbNNwfQ~~0_35.JPG

The Benchmade Osborne 943 is worth consideration for a 60th B-day for Dad. Same quality and great action as the 943 but a more traditional blade shape and a black Aluminum handle with a blue backspacer instead of green with purple. About $30 over budget...but hey...it's Dad's 60th right?

Benchmade North Fork is a sharp one. Classic design.
BM 904's are a simple design too.
Also the ZT 0450 is pretty simple and sleek design.

Or the Mcusta mc-1; make a nice functional showpiece with a cocobolo handle and a vg10 Damascus blade.

A couple that I think are nice, and would be appropriate for my similarly aged dad are the AG Russel Gentleman's Framelock, and also the AG Russell 3 1/2" Titanium Lockback (just 1.3oz!). Although the 3 1/2 despite having titanium handles and a VG-10 blade at 59-61RC is only a third of your stated price range...

Also, depending on your dad's style, the 2013 Texas Ranger is a pretty cool looking knife in my opinion (but at 10oz, pretty heavy). I like a lot of AG Russell's designs, and some of the more traditional designs might suit your dad more than modern folders might. There is a lot to be said for a nice traditional design.

The 940 is toward the top of my list for myself. I have a hard time getting it for him. ;) Maybe I'll suck it up and be a good son.

That 940 fits in the watch-pocket of Paul Bunyan's pants...large, long folder. (doesn't sound like your dad)

I'd go along with earlier rec's of the BenchMade North Fork. Good blade-steel; should slice well. 3" blade, attractive grips that aren't too fat, and three ounces.
Even the price fits. With your list...this does the job.
OTOH, your dad still has plenty of time left to gain appreciation of Spyderco and their "traditional" Spydie-hole. I would think that the Chaparral would be a great knife for him, but I do understand. There was a time, when I was your dad's age, when I thought that hole was "stupid" also, but no more. Nine of every ten folders that I purchase come from Spyderco. I'm a big fan...with justification. Check out the Chaparral...a great knife for his casual use.
here's a link: http://www.knifecenter.com/kc_new/s...rco Chaparral&cat=sp&k=chaparral&series=2154&

Happy Birthday to your dad...you're a good son...
:)

Last edited:
Back