Daggerr Sting

jideta

Gold Member
I know nothing about the company; just bought the knife on a whim. Youtube says it's of Chinese parts and Russian assembly but nothing on the knife says so.
Here it is next to my Endura for scale:

DSC_3106.jpg

I wanted another large folder and this fit the bill. Sort of.
Made of D2 and who knows what for the liner, G10 scales.
G10 is usually a deal breaker for me but I saw that the scales were removeable so I took the chance.
Now that I got it in my greedy little hands, this G10 is not bad. Not plasticky at all and in fact a little grippy.
Here's the lock up:

DSC_3107.jpg

Still way early.
It looks like the blade is offset at the pivot but that's just my crappy photo.
Internet says blade rides on bearings. Sits pretty much dead center if you're into that sort of thing.
The stonewash isn't perfect. I can see some shading flaws. I'm not a stonewash fan but this surface is more subdued. The Endura is satin and they are close. In fact if it weren't for an ever so slight dullness to the finish I'd call it satin.
Clip side:

DSC_3108.jpg

Over did the Punisher cues?
Again something I don't really care about.
Snaps out with some vengeance and detent is good.
Interesting grind.
Only thing:

DSC_3112.jpg

Kinda close to the thumb on closing.
If that choil was a bit wider I'd feel better.
Here's my other liner lock for comparison:

DSC_3113.jpg
The Sting could well, sting you if you're not paying attention.
Other than that I'm good to go.
Not sure how I feel about the Chinese/Russian origins; I usually stick to USA.
I may pick up one the larger models because it fits a need.
For less than a hunski I'd call it a good buy.

Thanks for the rundown! I've been waiting for these to be back in stock in the US, and your review makes me even more curious about them. :)

You mentioned considering the larger models -- I own a Vendetta and it's a great knife for the price. Letting it drop onto my thumb is definitely an entertaining experience. ;) No complaints.

IsRWuW2.jpg

Thanks for the rundown! I've been waiting for these to be back in stock in the US, and your review makes me even more curious about them. :)

You mentioned considering the larger models -- I own a Vendetta and it's a great knife for the price. Letting it drop onto my thumb is definitely an entertaining experience. ;) No complaints.

IsRWuW2.jpg

Might have been your knife I saw that got me interested!
I know there are a couple of Daggerrs floating around here.
Just put in my order for a Parrot.
Ordered direct. Only took a few weeks.

Haven't actually used it yet, got it yesterday.

Not sure about sharpening. Thinnish grind don't see a problem.
Come to think about it, I haven't sharpened any of my D2 blades yet.

I have the Resident (I think that’s what it is called) and I only have two complaints...1, being a steel frame lock it’s heavier than I like, and 2, that damn pocket clip. lol

Just a quick follow up:
I like this knife.
Put a couple of drops of eezox on it and it flies out nicely.
Blade fold backs with a nice, uh, dull 'clunk.' Almost feels like it's hitting the G10 spacer but it's not; at least not that I can see. Don't know how else to describe, but it's a soft close.
Detent a bit soft; can open it with a (really) hard wrist flick, but not a safety defect(I have a custom that opens way easier).
The liner lock is easy to manipulate. I got one frame lock that makes my thumb work for it.
The G10 is a surprise; not plasticky at all. Absorbs rather than reflects if that makes sense. Feels more like, maybe a nylon composite. I got some Micarta coming in soon to goof around with.
Thought about altering the skull motifs but leaving them for now as they don't bother me. I may sharpen up the hole(like a Spyderco) as it's a bit soft. Not a problem but I like the more positive feel of the Spyderco.
Been carrying it a lot and that says tons.
Honestly, still dealing with the origin. Prefer USA stuff.
The size and weight fills my needs and doesn't give anything away paired with my Enduras.
I ordered the larger Parrot and will add that here when I get it.
Nice for the price!

One of the reasons I ordered a Daggerr is because it looked like it would be easy to customize the scales:

IMG_0044.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Just for practice.
I wasn't sure how much I would like the mapleness.
I messed it up a bit as you can see the crack near the pivot.
I didn't have the right bit (darned kids!) so I fudged it some and as I tightened it up it went south on me.
Should have known better.
I glued it up and will have a go at it tomorrow when the glue sets.

I kinda like the maple, but I got a nicer set of scales coming in.
This is a very easy mod.
Well okay, kinda easy; you do have to counter sink the screw holes and it's better to have a drill press.
Still, not that difficult, even with only hand tools.

Back