Daghetta vs Big Daghetta

My birthday is coming up and I've been considering treating myself to my first Lion Steel.

The Daghetta with the aluminum handle just happens to be on sale for only $119cad. This really caught my attention because where I live it's basically the same price of an Endura and yet way more exotic. But then I started looking at the Big Daghetta which seems way more knife but it's $219. I like the sculpted handle more and I believe it's on bearings where the other isn't.

Does anyone have both they can do a comparison? Is the action on the big version that much better?

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I own two Big Daghettas and had a small Daghetta for some time. It is important to note that one cannot compare the situation to other Lionsteel models like the SR-1 and SR-2 or Benchmade where you will be able to get some knives in a "big" and a small version. The Daghettas differ more from each other. They are have some similar features and some differences but in the end both are great knives and it really comes down to size/weight and ultimately price.

I fancy bigger knives so I prefer the Big Daghetta. One important difference aside from price and size/weight is that the Big Daghetta has ball bearings whereas the Daghetta has Teflon washers. However, IMO this isn't really a reason to dislike the Daghetta. The "Tactical Operation Lock" works with a spring and similar to a backlock or a slipjoint you won't be able to flick the knife open anyways. Considering this both knives have a similar good action. Maybe the Big Daghetta is a tiny bit smoother but when the Daghetta is worn in a bit it comes really, really close.
For me the major difference / advantage is that the Big Daghetta has an opening "disk" (it's not round so maybe it should be called "opening help") and the Daghetta has an oldschool opening pin. The "opening help" of the Big Daghetta can be removed and the hole that remains on top of the blade can be closed with a small screw that is included in the package for this very reason. You will end up with a clean looking two hand opening knife and thanks to the TOL it really is next to impossible to open with one hand. I don't know much about Canadian knife laws but this feature really comes in handy when you are in country that doesn't allow you to carry a one hand opening knife without "good reason" like Germany. It is the reason why my Big Daghettas still are my most carried knives.

If you can do without this feature and prefer smaller knives go for the Daghetta. But IMO the Big Daghetta is worth the premium over the Daghetta.

My grey titanium and black g10 Big Daghettas:
AEIBtKM.jpg

Last edited:
I own two Big Daghettas and had a small Daghetta for some time. It is important to note that one cannot compare the situation to other Lionsteel models like the SR-1 and SR-2 or Benchmade where you will be able to get some knives in a "big" and a small version. The Daghettas differ more from each other. They are have some similar features and some differences but in the end both are great knives and it really comes down to size/weight and ultimately price.

I fancy bigger knives so I prefer the Big Daghetta. One important difference aside from price and size/weight is that the Big Daghetta has ball bearings whereas the Daghetta has Teflon washers. However, IMO this isn't really a reason to dislike the Daghetta. The "Tactical Operation Lock" works with a spring and similar to a backlock or a slipjoint you won't be able to flick the knife open anyways. Considering this both knives have a similar good action. Maybe the Big Daghetta is a tiny bit smoother but when the Daghetta is worn in a bit it comes really, really close.
For me the major difference / advantage is that the Big Daghetta has an opening "disk" (it's not round so maybe it should be called "opening help") and the Daghetta has an oldschool opening pin. The "opening help" of the Big Daghetta can be removed and the hole that remains on top of the blade can be closed with a small screw that is included in the package for this very reason. You will end up with a clean looking two hand opening knife and thanks to the TOL it really is next to impossible to open with one hand. I don't know much about Canadian knife laws but this feature really comes in handy when you are in country that doesn't allow you to carry a one hand opening knife without "good reason" like Germany. It is the reason why my Big Daghettas still are my most carried knives.

If you can do without this feature and prefer smaller knives go for the Daghetta. But IMO the Big Daghetta is worth the premium over the Daghetta.

My grey titanium and black g10 Big Daghettas:
AEIBtKM.jpg

Thank you so much that actually explains a lot to me. If I had bought the knife and found out the washers were teflon and not bronze I would have been pretty disappointed. So I think the Big one is the way to go. I love the look of your titanium one btw.

I also liked the Opera until I realized it was tip down only. They need to re-think about making it so you can do either or.

No problem. I am glad that I could help. :)

Italians seem to prefer Teflon washers over bronze. I have seen a lot of quality Italian folding knives from all major companies and if you'd ask me which one has bronze washers I could only name one where I am certain. I once discussed this in a Italian Facebook group and they liked teflon because it isn't affected by corrosion. I am not exactly happy about it but I can deal with it even though it means that the action on these knives isn't as smooth...

Regarding the "Grey Titanium" version of the Big Daghetta: That's what I thought as well! That's why I had to own it. IMO the "Grey Titanium" version is one of the most beautiful Lionsteel knives out there. Personally I'd even say that it is my favorite. I just love the milling on it's back (not visible in the picture): You have these three perfectly milled, deep, round grooves and the steel of the back spacer is perfectly aligned to the titanium of the scales in a way that it almost seems to be one piece. 100% knife erotic. ;)
However, as a carrying knife I actually prefer the G10 version because the weight difference is quite substantial (the G10 version is only 129g and pretty light for it's size whereas the titanium version weights 169g - okay in jeans but a bit too much for suit pants made out of wool).

No problem. I am glad that I could help. :)

Italians seem to prefer Teflon washers over bronze. I have seen a lot of quality Italian folding knives from all major companies and if you'd ask me which one has bronze washers I could only name one where I am certain. I once discussed this in a Italian Facebook group and they liked teflon because it isn't affected by corrosion. I am not exactly happy about it but I can deal with it even though it means that the action on these knives isn't as smooth...

Regarding the "Grey Titanium" version of the Big Daghetta: That's what I thought as well! That's why I had to own it. IMO the "Grey Titanium" version is one of the most beautiful Lionsteel knives out there. Personally I'd even say that it is my favorite. I just love the milling on it's back (not visible in the picture): You have these three perfectly milled, deep, round grooves and the steel of the back spacer is perfectly aligned to the titanium of the scales in a way that it almost seems to be one piece. 100% knife erotic. ;)
However, as a carrying knife I actually prefer the G10 version because the weight difference is quite substantial (the G10 version is only 129g and pretty light for it's size whereas the titanium version weights 169g - okay in jeans but a bit too much for suit pants made out of wool).

I understand why teflon as it does require less maintenance. And lets face it, only a small percentage of users can take a knife apart. But to me imho a Italian knife is a step up in the exotic premium knife category. So I want all the materials to feel premium and teflon just doesn't cut it lol.

Got to try the Big Daghetta in the store. Loved the handle and blade, but I found the thumb stud to be hard to get a good purchase on it. Is there aftermarket thumb studs/disks for these?

Back