• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Dalstrong Knives (Amazon)

sfknifeguy

Gold Member
Hello all,

I'm a bit new here in the forums and have spent the past year or so learning quite a bit about knives, pocket knives and kitchen cutlery for the most part.

There are these Dalstrong branded knives available on Amazon, tons of glowing reviews and the like. I didn't know any better and bought a 6 piece Phantom series kitchen set from them. I probably paid too much now that I realize, as these are all in Aus-8 steel, but have alright fit and finish.

The blades are reasonably shaped and seem made alright, but knowing what I know now, having learned quite a bit the past few months, I feel I may have been better off buying elsewhere.

So what are your thoughts on Dalstrong knives? Are they all just marketing hype made in some random chinese factory? (Note: I do actually love many many brands out of China, We Knives, Kizer, etc. are very great quality)

Did I get ripped off?

Not all that long ago AUS-8 was considered a very good steel. Did you get ripped off, definitely not IMO. :) Could you have done better, probably so. :( Perhaps it would have been a good idea to have asked about them here BEFORE buying (unless, of course, you bought them a while back before discovering BF). ;)

Alas, I was just a fledgling knife lover. Only a Spyderco Resilience, ZT 0450, Boker Kwaiken to my name, I didn't know what it meant to be truly addicted to knives, but oh boy, I do now, I live and breath it daily!

In all seriousness, you are correct, I could have done better but they are fine for what they are. Anytime I'm on the fence about any knife, I'll ask here!

OK so the rule is don't every buy a kitchen knife set.

Just get a couple good culinary knives that'll you'll use all the time and a block or magnet bar to store them.

It's not that the sets are all bad but for the dollars you spend you can get a way better knife that'll do a better job.

Hello all,

I'm a bit new here in the forums and have spent the past year or so learning quite a bit about knives, pocket knives and kitchen cutlery for the most part.

There are these Dalstrong branded knives available on Amazon, tons of glowing reviews and the like. I didn't know any better and bought a 6 piece Phantom series kitchen set from them. I probably paid too much now that I realize, as these are all in Aus-8 steel, but have alright fit and finish.

The blades are reasonably shaped and seem made alright, but knowing what I know now, having learned quite a bit the past few months, I feel I may have been better off buying elsewhere.

So what are your thoughts on Dalstrong knives? Are they all just marketing hype made in some random chinese factory? (Note: I do actually love many many brands out of China, We Knives, Kizer, etc. are very great quality)

Did I get ripped off?

Kitchen knives are like anything else in life. You can’t know better until you know better.

OK so the rule is don't every buy a kitchen knife set.

Just get a couple good culinary knives that'll you'll use all the time and a block or magnet bar to store them.

It's not that the sets are all bad but for the dollars you spend you can get a way better knife that'll do a better job.
Right, I agree with you there, I would prefer 3 great knives to the 8 or so I have for the kitchen.

Right, I agree with you there, I would prefer 3 great knives to the 8 or so I have for the kitchen.

1st buy:
Larger chef’s knife, paring knife, bread knife.

Then buy one at a time:
Then add one better for rocking or chopping cuts with vegetables, add one better for meat like a breaking knife and finally another large chef’s knife now that you learned abit.

I bought a small, cheap Chicago cutlery block, and it works fine. But I'm building my collection one knife at a time. Really, I could do everything at my kitchen skill level with base-line Yaxell or Shun knives - all I'd need is a 9" bread knife, 8" chef, 5.5-6" petty, 4.5" utility, and 3.5" parer.

1st buy:
Larger chef’s knife, paring knife, bread knife.

Then buy one at a time:
Then add one better for rocking or chopping cuts with vegetables, add one better for meat like a breaking knife and finally another large chef’s knife now that you learned abit.
Well, I have all of those things now to be honest, but now I'd like to upgrade even though it's not really necessary and I don't know where to sell that knife set honestly.

I bought a small, cheap Chicago cutlery block, and it works fine. But I'm building my collection one knife at a time. Really, I could do everything at my kitchen skill level with base-line Yaxell or Shun knives - all I'd need is a 9" bread knife, 8" chef, 5.5-6" petty, 4.5" utility, and 3.5" parer.

I'm pretty much with you on that! I don't need a super nice set of knives, but boy do I sure want one. Why just have nice folding knives when I could have nice kitchen ones too!

I'm pretty much with you on that! I don't need a super nice set of knives, but boy do I sure want one. Why just have nice folding knives when I could have nice kitchen ones too!

I've started cooking a lot more in the past year, and my desire for a nice pocket knife, which is how I started all this back in 2004, has really expanded to nice everything knives.

I've started cooking a lot more in the past year, and my desire for a nice pocket knife, which is how I started all this back in 2004, has really expanded to nice everything knives.
I can definitely relate to this. I can see how this would expand to all things knife and tool related, and it has happened to me too!

I honestly just sold my Spydiechef. I thought about keeping it around the kitchen bit I just didn't feel it was large enough for me to keep around for use there.
I use mine all the time. The short blade is the only downer I have but I can usually work around that.

I use mine all the time. The short blade is the only downer I have but I can usually work around that.

Ditto. I use mine constantly.

As for the Dalstrong knives... they seem to be decent knives priced like good ones. Not a total rip off, but certainly not a bargain.

The set you bought is generally what I point people toward, though from a different brand. The smaller sets are fine usually. It's the big 18+ piece sets that are full of nonsense.

Back