Dalstrong Shogun series VG-10 Paring knife

I bought my wife one of these two yrs ago, with VG-10 Japanese Super Steel, and she continues to love it.
I am presently shopping for several more paring knives for my grown grand-kids.
Dalstrong has changed the blade-steel to high-carbon AUS-10V steel with 66-alternating layers of SUS410 damascus cladding.
"In a reply from Dalstrong regarding the change in blade-steel, they replied:
"We elected to make the change from VG-10 to AUS-10V steel in order to offer enhanced performance. The composition of AUS-10 and VG10 are very similar. They are both high carbon stainless steels with a bit of vanadium in the mix.

But in AUS-10, nickel, among other elements, are added to the steel mixture which VG10 does not contain. Nickel upgrades the toughness, meaning fewer micro-cracks and chips than VG10, which is great for busy kitchens. We've also added a vacuum heat treatment which further enhances the durability and performance over standard AUS-10 67 layers."

Therefore, I would defer to the gurus here on the forum to help me decide on the value of this steel change.
Thanks,
don

I have the 10.5"ish chef knife in the Shogun series. I'm not an expert in kitchen knives but I really like it. Seems ground well and to hold it's edge much better than my normal kitchen knives. I can tell sharpening it that it's hard.

The nickel in AUS-10V will make it more corrosion resistant compared to VG10, I generally agree it will also make it less prone to "micro-cracks and chips."

Is a AUS-10V edge better than a VG10 edge? Maybe in regards to edge retention but not in initial sharpness, by my estimation the advantage would be unnoticeable to all but some professional users.

Back