Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

I gotta admit that this thread single-handedly pushed me to try a damascus CRK. When I first got into Sebenzas, I pretty much dismissed damascus right off the bat. The $475 pocket knife already seemed like such a monumental dive. I couldn't quite get with a $200 upcharge for what I thought was light-duty looker blade. Now it's one of my top three favorite CRK configurations and a hard user to boot. Glad I came around.

Well my first CRK will be a Damascus. Just picked up a plain one with a boomerang pattern off of the bay today. Can't wait to get it and put it to use, not near as hard as some of you but definitely will get my normal edc use. I will upload some pics once I put some of my use on it.

Well my first CRK will be a Damascus. Just picked up a plain one with a boomerang pattern off of the bay today. Can't wait to get it and put it to use, not near as hard as some of you but definitely will get my normal edc use. I will upload some pics once I put some of my use on it.
I hope it serves you well. I look forward to some pics.

I’ve got my PJ 21 Raindrop back in pocket these last couple week. I’m going on a fall camping trip next week and it’s going to be my carry for that. I might update my thoughts on this knife, if any are left to share, upon my return.

I like my PJ raindrop so much that I’m afraid to lose it. However, I only love it so much because I’ve used and carried it so much, so it’s a Catch 22. At this point, my most carried CRK by a long shot.

This thread also convinced me to upgrade my edc.

I retired my 1st generation mnandi and now carry a 2nd generation ladder sandwiched between 2 beautiful bog oak inlays.

I think kidcongo should get a free knife or at least a discount on his next Chris Reeve.

IBnqJhR.jpg

So this knife was my pocket companion on my October camping trip into the Similkameen region of BC. I was running the Whipsaw Trail in my Toyota with a buddy in his Nissan. Backcountry travel is a whole other passion of mine I won’t elaborate on here.

Anyways…….sadly…...nothing really new to report. The knife does it’s job. I wish I had more to add than that. If you didn’t see the beautiful pattern on the blade, it’s just as functional and durable as any other Sebenza. A masterpiece of design by Chris Reeve.

This knife was on the normal camp duties. Shaving kindling to start a fire, making poker sticks, removing slivers, and helping with meal prep.

The area around the thumbstud is now more polished than the rest of the blade, but continues to show the pattern. Overall, the dark grey factory etch is gone from the entire blade, but the pattern is still totally visible and wonderful.

This is simply my favourite CRK folder ever. I really like that it’s 100% metal. Something about that really has grown on me, compared to the inlaid varieties, which I also love.

Don’t judge my cooking!! Breakfast on the Whipsaw must be hearty, because it gets stressful! Two eggs, a smokey, and some cheese to feed the brain as I try not to smash my truck!

yU79VfK.jpg

JGuOOfz.jpg

sk42Dgp.jpg

Q8Q0aWv.jpg

Ny8DVkn.jpg

9ItkHsF.jpg

x06NOly.jpg

Last edited:
This thread also convinced me to upgrade my edc.

I retired my 1st generation mnandi and now carry a 2nd generation ladder sandwiched between 2 beautiful bog oak inlays.

I think kidcongo should get a free knife or at least a discount on his next Chris Reeve.
+1 for the discount! 😄

@ kidcongo kidcongo Amazing thread here. I greatly appreciate your writeup and the contributions of others in this community here. Thanks so much!

I’ve said it before on this thread and I’ll say it again. This thread is why I decided to go all in on CRK and I suppose on other high end blades.

I also really question the latest tactical trend of black blades. I’m ok with knives showing wear and would like to see another thread showing wear. Especially dlc.

Thanks again

I feel this thread is my main contribution to Bladeforums of late, so if I seem like a one-trick pony, my apologies. I lurk the forum often, and contribute seldom.

This knife goes back in the drawer for a while now. I though I’d add some random detail photos, as I feel the most valuable contribution I am making here is helping other people see what age and use does to a Damascus blade, and a Sebenza in general.

The knife gets no slack, and so hopefully these pictures show you what to expect
from a Damascus CRK user. The pattern is yet to show any signs of vanishing, even though the primary etch is long gone. I hope these photos are informative and provide some testament of what great knives these are regardless of their beauty.

For the record, I have a small 21 Damascus “drawer queen” with Ladder Damascus and Bocote inlays that I don’t plan on carrying. So no shame from me to those who just like to fondle these knives and then store them safely away. I do that as well and understand. Having said that, the Damascus blade is what makes this daily carry so cool and special to me. I am glad I went down the rabbit hole. I’d be very upset with myself if I lost it, but I still take that risk.

In no particular order (with many photos of the slabs as well)

ce92p2F.jpg

kAPVjKc.jpg

ifVjEZl.jpg

QFzn061.jpg

dcdtu7e.jpg

dErWs4q.jpg

L3NCvhz.jpg

UteRDAp.jpg

FOlY2yd.jpg

tdbXOM6.jpg

bhLNfaO.jpg

1rVAka7.jpg

6oIm3Tu.jpg

XNwoHcO.jpg

n2TgS1r.jpg

Happy Friday everyone. I hope you all have a nice weekend.

What do you have in the lanyard hole? It doesn’t look like a stock tube.
It got me to thinking… I wonder if a tritium vile could be found and put in the lanyard hole…

I've noticed that one of the spa services CRK offers is a re-etch for damascus blades. I have to ponder which customers opt for that service. It would seem, as indicated by this thread and my own personal use, that damascus users look at the wear on the blade as source of pride. Whereas someone who takes a more safe queen approach isn't going to have any wear on the blade that would necessitate a re-etch in the first place.

I've noticed that one of the spa services CRK offers is a re-etch for damascus blades. I have to ponder which customers opt for that service. It would seem, as indicated by this thread and my own personal use, that damascus users look at the wear on the blade as source of pride. Whereas someone who takes a more safe queen approach isn't going to have any wear on the blade that would necessitate a re-etch in the first place.
I’ve never got to the point that I wanted to send mine in for a re-etch. It was nice to know that it was an option if for some reason I ever needed it.

But like you said the more I started using it the more I loved the wear/marks/fading. Maybe one day if the etching is just completely gone I’d do it

Back