Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

304 is part of the 300 series of stainless steels- Not sure how they use it to be honest. (in the knife world as a damascus component.)
It's definitely one of the ones I really don't enjoy milling all that much..Pretty tough stuff.
When you say it's worse than 400 series stainless, I would probably need to know what way it's worse?
From an engineering standpoint, they all have their uses. The 300 series are great for corrosion resistance- better than the 400 series
304 is used in alot of chemical and food service applications, so it's pretty good stuff..but like I said, I don't care much for machining it.

304 is part of the 300 series of stainless steels- Not sure how they use it to be honest. (in the knife world as a damascus component.)
It's definitely one of the ones I really don't enjoy milling all that much..Pretty tough stuff.
When you say it's worse than 400 series stainless, I would probably need to know what way it's worse?
From an engineering standpoint, they all have their uses. The 300 series are great for corrosion resistance- better than the 400 series
304 is used in alot of chemical and food service applications, so it's pretty good stuff..but like I said, I don't care much for machining it.

I meant worse as in steel that would typically be used for a knife. I am aware that 304 is highly corrosion resistant and tough, even more so than 400 series stainless, just wondering about it as a blade steel. I always assumed the edgeholding and abrasion resistance would be too bad for anything but buget dive knives.

I guess I was wrong?

I meant worse as in steel that would typically be used for a knife. I am aware that 304 is highly corrosion resistant and tough, even more so than 400 series stainless, just wondering about it as a blade steel. I always assumed the edgeholding and abrasion resistance would be too bad for anything but buget dive knives.

I guess I was wrong?

lol..Good question- High chromium content on it..for sure, but I don't really think it hardens very well.
The properties sheet on it says that there can be some hardening through cold working it, so maybe that's the secret.
I know that if you don't push it with drills (can't play with it) and take a cut, it will hold onto the drill for you- Usually stuck in the hole and scrapping the part.
Titanium is the same way though..

Maybe @DevinT could give us a quick rundown of the Stainless Damascus Chris Reeve used?

~Chip

Always enjoy your threads Cody, you have lots of CRK knowledge.I got this one off the exchange in January
it has seen a lot of use since then, they hold up very well to regular use. I blasted it with glass bead when I got it.
someone had done scotch brite I didn't like it much.
XV9GNEV.jpg
Very Nice. What a score.

Cut up a bunch of chicken-apple sausage hot off the grill on Friday, and broke down a couple Amazon boxes into 6"x10" pieces today with the Mnandi. No visible scratches, and was cleanly slicing the cardboard to the end (sometimes double layers). Three or four strops on each side with gray compound and popping hairs again :D

Wearing my grandfather's watch today, these seemed to match it nicely :)

img_20170828_180010-jpg.757320

img_20170828_180230-jpg.757321

~Chip

I'm glad for this thread. I have a few damascus CRK's that I EDC.
I love seeing Damascus users!!! :)

Last edited:
Or add "~original" after xxxx.jpg in the image link from Photobucket.
(blahblahblah/xxx.jpg~original)

~Chip

Hey guys and gals. This thread is not dead. I have an update planned, but have had some life dramas to deal with. My mother-in-law passed away after a short battle with cancer, so family has taken priority for a few weeks. I will post my findings so far in the next couple days. Thanks for the patience and understanding! I'm good on my promise, just not quite on time.

Back