Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

Awesome thread kidcongo kidcongo !

I had a Large Plain 21 w/Ladder Damascus a while back that I sent in and switched the hardware and thumb stud switched over to silver. When it came back, I just didn't like it as much, as it looked almost *too* silver. I ended up selling that one and have been patiently waiting to grab another.

Today was my lucky day as I scored a nice one just like the one I had and it should be here Monday. I plan to make that a user and look forward to the wear and weathering that yours has shown.

Thanks again for this post, and I look forward to the updated pics of your journey with it!

Glock Guy Glock Guy I look forward to seeing some pics. Please add to the thread. I stand corrected, the weathered slabs, a weathered Damascus blade, and weathered blue thumbstuds, would be the ultimate “distressed” Sebenza.

Glock Guy Glock Guy I look forward to seeing some pics. Please add to the thread. I stand corrected, the weathered slabs, a weathered Damascus blade, and weathered blue thumbstuds, would be the ultimate “distressed” Sebenza. You win!

Well my friend you've done it. Pushed me over the edge. My large bog oak raindrop is in the mail now from KSF. I have an engraved plain jane so that covers my plain need for now. But had to pull the trigger finally on the damascus. Thanks for the thread brother. I'll post a pic soon

That’s going to be a beautiful user. Very nice. I’ve always really liked the dark wood 21s that have just a hint of grain. FYI, I’ve carried a large 21 Tamboti a lot as well, and the polished slab knives with wood inlays are just as durable as any other CRK. The polished slabs themselves get an interesting patina after use that adds to their character (you likely already know all this....but hey).

That’s going to be a beautiful user. Very nice. I’ve always really liked the dark wood 21s that have just a hint of grain. FYI, I’ve carried a large 21 Tamboti a lot as well, and the polished slab knives with wood inlays are just as durable as any other CRK. The polished slabs themselves get an interesting patina after use that adds to their character (you likely already know all this....but hey).
This is my first damascus. The first thing I noticed is it seems quieter than my others. The snap open and shut is dulled down a bit. In no way bad, just different than that sharp CLACK of my others. Also with this one I'm not feeling a 'honeymoon' period at all haha, simply ready to put it to hard use. Maybe because its my fifth, maybe the darker blade. Who knows.To most what im saying would make no sense at all im sure but im feeling yall are as messed up as I am about knives here

^^ I hear you loud and clear.

You are right! The Damascus 21s are quieter! Mine is the same. Must be less resonance in the blade itself, because all else is equal.

Finally noticed how pale the Damascus is getting right around the thumb stud. I don't mind but do notice it more and more. I carry in a CRK sheath on my hip so it hasn't got banged up like my others just yet. You would have to really carry one alot to notice but these Damascus sebenzas have a completely different feel to them. A less heavy feel to them, all around 15107334397211895272806.jpg

I have to say that is the only CRK with DT Ladder where it's rotated 45 degrees off the spine perpendicular. Is that a one-of-a-kind or has anyone else seen these?
That was the deciding factor when I picked up this mammoth Mnandi (the other had a standard vertical ladder pattern.) I know I love it, but I have no idea of the rarity.

~Chip

Hey people,

Since this thread got tagged in another post I thought I owed everyone an update.

I carried my raindrop for about 7 months. It was my daily carry and just looked better and better with age. The pattern stabilized at a nice worn-in look but never came close to disappearing or becoming unnoticeable. Why this thread died are two reasons:

1: Mainly I lost a little bit of inspiration to bother with posting after all my photos disappeared after the photobucket melt-down. I know.....I’m a whiner, but y’know.....kinda crushed my efforts.

2: Yowsa!!! I woke up one morning with a hairline crack in the blade between the thumb studs. I don’t think this has anything to do with using the knife or it being Damascus......just one of those things that happens with CRK. So....the knife is presently in Idaho receiving a new blade, which may end up Chad Nichols? I don’t know. I will see what they give me. I will let y’all know what happens and maybe reboot this thread when the new blade shows up.

Back