1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: w. January 2021 update.

Discussion in 'Chris Reeve Knives' started by kidcongo, Aug 23, 2017.

1. KrisNZ

KrisNZ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2012
    [​IMG]

jmac603, Dcdavis, Jsega51 and 2 others like this.
  2. Joefairbanks

Joefairbanks Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 14, 2016
    Well, I couldn’t stand the wait. And, I’ve been wanting to try a Mnandi for a while so I got one from KSF. It showed up today. It’s got the Chad Nichols raindrop with bog oak inlays. It’s nicer in person than it is in the pics! I’m super impressed, and it’s got the quality that I’ve come to inspect from CRK. I know it’s not necessarily a hard use knife, but for daily easy use it will be handy as heck! It will also give me an idea of how Damascus wears and ages until I can get a Sebenza in Damascus. Pics or it didn’t happen?
    E69C7542-FF29-4E60-8207-153FF4A21455.jpeg

russ25, rexromic, jmac603 and 7 others like this.
  3. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    That’s gorgeous!

How do you like the Bog inlay? I haven’t seen good enough high quality pictures online to outline the minute differences

edit: I’d polish the blade :D having done it to my Ladder Seb 31, it makes it difficult to look away.

KrisNZ likes this.
  4. Joefairbanks

Jun 14, 2016
    Thank you! I really like the bog oak. I didn’t know what to expect, as it’s my first wood inlay CRK. I was expecting it to have more of a matte or textured finish after seeing pictures of them. It’s actually very smooth. I like it a lot.
    I’ve read about some of you guys polishing your blades, but I think I’m going to see how it wears on it’s own and gets polished from use. If I don’t care for it- I’ll give the polishing a try. I just really like the distinct pattern from the etching right now.

5. KrisNZ

KrisNZ Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Nice choice, here's my Bog oak, with CN Damascus,
    [​IMG]

Alsharif, Joefairbanks and sailfish like this.
  6. Joefairbanks

Jun 14, 2016
    That’s beautiful!

KrisNZ likes this.
  7. farfromovin

farfromovin

Nov 20, 2020
    How's the knife doing? I'm looking at one of these as well right now. Just not sure how the ol' lady will respond after I bought 2 BM's, 3 Spyderco's, and a Wicked Edge sharpener lately. May need to wait a little bit. I'm guessing that's thuya burl?

8. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Yep, thuya burl and it’s doing great, I love it. I had one inlay start to lift up a touch at one end but some super glue fixed that. Other than that, I open and close it constantly and have been carrying and using it. I don’t notice a difference in the steel from s35vn but it sure does look better.

There’s a lot of damascus ones out there, don’t hesitate lol.

9. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    This went back in pocket January 1st. By far my most carried knife now. Absolutely love it.

It is only my most treasured CRK, because I have carried it so much now. That’s the rub........the pocket time is what “devalues” the knife on the secondary market, while increasing its value as an heirloom, or to you as a person.

This knife is absolutely riddled with snail trials, in a beautiful way, but I’ve never quite figured out how to photograph them. It’s like you need two eyes to see them and they disappear with the single lens of a camera or something (if anyone knows how to make the snail trails show up in photos, let me know)

Anyways. May switch it up again in February, but nothing beats a PJ L21 with a Damascus blade. I love this combo.

[​IMG]

Jsega51, russ25, sailfish and 5 others like this.
  10. sailfish

sailfish Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 1, 2019
    I can usually get some wear to show on camera but never all of it. You're probably right about the single lens because two eyes, even if ever so slightly, give you the stereoscopic view of two different light angles at once.

kidcongo likes this.
  11. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    Went out to garage to photograph in a different light. They show up a little more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

sailfish and Jsega51 like this.
  12. Accelerator

Accelerator Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Yeah, the lighting definitely helps show the wear better. On an unrelated note, what kind of mountain bike do you have. That looks like a pretty beefy wheel set in the background.

13. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    I have a Santa Cruz Hightower. A great bike. Another passion of mine.

[​IMG]

emptym and Accelerator like this.
  14. russ25

russ25 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 19, 2012
    Hey guys, Its not the light, but the angle of the light that you need to show snail trails. :)

15. Dcdavis

Dcdavis Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 13, 2018
    The angle makes a huge difference. I tried today to take a snail trail picture. Could see it with my eyes plain as day. As soon as I put the phone up to it, nothing in the screen. Looked brand new. Almost think the phone blocked the lighting enough for it to change in screen. Beats me, but it is tough

russ25 and kidcongo like this.
  16. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    Well understood. The thing is, with stereoscopic vision, from your eyes, you can see two angles at once, so more snail trails. When you take the same photo, in the same light, from the same angle as your face, they don’t show up to the same extent.

russ25 likes this.
  17. mtbaddict

mtbaddict

Jan 5, 2014
    Beautiful! I love my pj 21 damascus. Also it looks like it might be time to replace those minions ;)

18. kidcongo

kidcongo

Jan 12, 2013
    It’s very steep and rocky where we ride so tires get a beating. Those are actually in pretty good shape!!