Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

7bjcpyk.jpg

Well, I couldn’t stand the wait. And, I’ve been wanting to try a Mnandi for a while so I got one from KSF. It showed up today. It’s got the Chad Nichols raindrop with bog oak inlays. It’s nicer in person than it is in the pics! I’m super impressed, and it’s got the quality that I’ve come to inspect from CRK. I know it’s not necessarily a hard use knife, but for daily easy use it will be handy as heck! It will also give me an idea of how Damascus wears and ages until I can get a Sebenza in Damascus. Pics or it didn’t happen?
View attachment 1465015

That’s gorgeous!

How do you like the Bog inlay? I haven’t seen good enough high quality pictures online to outline the minute differences

edit: I’d polish the blade :D having done it to my Ladder Seb 31, it makes it difficult to look away.

Thank you! I really like the bog oak. I didn’t know what to expect, as it’s my first wood inlay CRK. I was expecting it to have more of a matte or textured finish after seeing pictures of them. It’s actually very smooth. I like it a lot.
I’ve read about some of you guys polishing your blades, but I think I’m going to see how it wears on it’s own and gets polished from use. If I don’t care for it- I’ll give the polishing a try. I just really like the distinct pattern from the etching right now.

Thank you! I really like the bog oak. I didn’t know what to expect, as it’s my first wood inlay CRK. I was expecting it to have more of a matte or textured finish after seeing pictures of them. It’s actually very smooth. I like it a lot.
I’ve read about some of you guys polishing your blades, but I think I’m going to see how it wears on it’s own and gets polished from use. If I don’t care for it- I’ll give the polishing a try. I just really like the distinct pattern from the etching right now.

Nice choice, here's my Bog oak, with CN Damascus,
WgZFiXA.jpg

I went back and read through this thread again in excitement. Can’t wait to get my damascus 21 on Monday! It’s immediately going in my pocket for a week at hunting camp. I really dig the wood and gold accents with the damascus :thumbsup:

sArqfqu.jpg
How's the knife doing? I'm looking at one of these as well right now. Just not sure how the ol' lady will respond after I bought 2 BM's, 3 Spyderco's, and a Wicked Edge sharpener lately. May need to wait a little bit. I'm guessing that's thuya burl?

How's the knife doing? I'm looking at one of these as well right now. Just not sure how the ol' lady will respond after I bought 2 BM's, 3 Spyderco's, and a Wicked Edge sharpener lately. May need to wait a little bit. I'm guessing that's thuya burl?

Yep, thuya burl and it’s doing great, I love it. I had one inlay start to lift up a touch at one end but some super glue fixed that. Other than that, I open and close it constantly and have been carrying and using it. I don’t notice a difference in the steel from s35vn but it sure does look better.

There’s a lot of damascus ones out there, don’t hesitate lol.

This went back in pocket January 1st. By far my most carried knife now. Absolutely love it.

It is only my most treasured CRK, because I have carried it so much now. That’s the rub........the pocket time is what “devalues” the knife on the secondary market, while increasing its value as an heirloom, or to you as a person.

This knife is absolutely riddled with snail trials, in a beautiful way, but I’ve never quite figured out how to photograph them. It’s like you need two eyes to see them and they disappear with the single lens of a camera or something (if anyone knows how to make the snail trails show up in photos, let me know)

Anyways. May switch it up again in February, but nothing beats a PJ L21 with a Damascus blade. I love this combo.

7Bwnbtl.jpg

This went back in pocket January 1st. By far my most carried knife now. Absolutely love it.

It is only my most treasured CRK, because I have carried it so much now. That’s the rub........the pocket time is what “devalues” the knife on the secondary market, while increasing its value as an heirloom, or to you as a person.

This knife is absolutely riddled with snail trials, in a beautiful way, but I’ve never quite figured out how to photograph them. It’s like you need two eyes to see them and they disappear with the single lens of a camera or something (if anyone knows how to make the snail trails show up in photos, let me know)

Anyways. May switch it up again in February, but nothing beats a PJ L21 with a Damascus blade. I love this combo.

7Bwnbtl.jpg
I can usually get some wear to show on camera but never all of it. You're probably right about the single lens because two eyes, even if ever so slightly, give you the stereoscopic view of two different light angles at once.

Yeah, the lighting definitely helps show the wear better. On an unrelated note, what kind of mountain bike do you have. That looks like a pretty beefy wheel set in the background.

Hey guys, Its not the light, but the angle of the light that you need to show snail trails. :)
The angle makes a huge difference. I tried today to take a snail trail picture. Could see it with my eyes plain as day. As soon as I put the phone up to it, nothing in the screen. Looked brand new. Almost think the phone blocked the lighting enough for it to change in screen. Beats me, but it is tough

Hey guys, Its not the light, but the angle of the light that you need to show snail trails. :)
Well understood. The thing is, with stereoscopic vision, from your eyes, you can see two angles at once, so more snail trails. When you take the same photo, in the same light, from the same angle as your face, they don’t show up to the same extent.

Back