Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

9kn6zuI.jpg

Awesome photos! Is this Chad Nichols or Devin Thomas?

Edit: Disregard, saw your earlier post. Awesome texture!

I get the impression some around here think its sacrilegious to polish a damascus blade, I've polished all my CRK damascus, to me it gives the damascus way more texture, it's still all there just shiny, as for cutting performance, it's way better, by nature an etched surfaces has a huge surface area, offering loads of resistance on the cut, once polished and smooth it glides through what ever it is your cutting, other people's may have different views

So is damascus prone to rust any more than S35VN or what? CRK's website states that it will need more attention and gives you a list of guidelines to follow but a paper notice that came in the box with one I have that was made in 2016 states "blades made of stainless damascus (pattern welded) need no additional care other than general cleaning and sharpening as needed." Online it makes it sound like if the air's too warm and I breath on it it's gonna rust. So which is it?

https://chrisreeve.com/blogs/how-tos/4-damascus-care-tips

So is damascus prone to rust any more than S35VN or what? CRK's website states that it will need more attention and gives you a list of guidelines to follow but a paper notice that came in the box with one I have that was made in 2016 states "Blades made of stainless damascus (pattern welded) need no additional care other than general cleaning and sharpening as needed." So which is it?

https://chrisreeve.com/blogs/how-tos/4-damascus-care-tips

I've noticed no real difference, It's stainless after all, I work the crap out of all my CRK's, I'm not paying a ship load of money for a knife just to look at it, its got to work off a debt, as far as rust, if you look after your knives, rust shouldn't be an issue regardless of blade steel,

I've noticed no real difference, It's stainless after all, I work the crap out of all my CRK's, I'm not paying a ship load of money for a knife just to look at it, its got to work off a debt, as far as rust, if you look after your knives, rust shouldn't be an issue regardless of blade steel,
I wipe mine off if I cut something wet or messy regardless of whether it's damascus or S35. But it's this line right here that keeps getting my attention: "If your knife is in a humid environment, it will rust." Keyword will. As in leaving it out in a shed for a while or simply sweating all over it in my pocket on a muggy day?

I wipe mine off if I cut something wet or messy regardless of whether it's damascus or S35. But it's this line right here that keeps getting my attention: "If your knife is in a humid environment, it will rust." Keyword will. As in leaving it out in a shed for a while or simply sweating all over it in my pocket on a muggy day?

I think that line is written to mitigate any responsibility as far as the "idiot" factor, you leave any steel long enough its eventually going to show signs of corrosion, I live in New Zealands South island, its pretty much a temperate rainforest, you look after your stuff it wont rust,

I get the impression some around here think its sacrilegious to polish a damascus blade, I've polished all my CRK damascus, to me it gives the damascus way more texture, it's still all there just shiny, as for cutting performance, it's way better, by nature an etched surfaces has a huge surface area, offering loads of resistance on the cut, once polished and smooth it glides through what ever it is your cutting, other people's may have different views

What is your process for this?

I have found the CN raindrop to be equally stain resistant to S35 in my uses. If you really pushed the limits, S35 would probably outshine as that is a very stain resistant steel, but for daily EDC and food prep, no additional special care is needed for the Damascus blades above what you would normally do (wash off the blade after slicing a lemon etc)

Back