Damascus EDC, the start of a journey: Est. 2017 (w. Feb 2024 update).

Trying to capture some early usage/wear mark and a scratch on my 21, CN Raindrop Damascus.
NGHU9hn.jpg

The end of this week concludes my first month of carrying the new small plain 21 with Chad Nichols ladder damascus daily to work, with exception of only a couple days. It's been put to good use and has held up quite well. I've used it to open packages, strip wire, ream PVC, cut sealtite conduit, strip flexible gas line, scrape gaskets, trim filters, bore holes, carve wood, cut zip ties, open cans, and more. I've cut materials including cardboard, paper, plastic, rope, fiberglass, nylon strap, cloth, foam, rubber, and foil.

In these four weeks I've only touched it up on the Sharpmaker once and have otherwise just stropped it after rougher days. As far as edge holding I've seen no noticeable difference so far between it and S35VN. I've also experienced zero chipping or edge rolling, even after accidentally banging it on metal a few times. Quite remarkable if you ask me.

It's already starting to develop a respectable patina. And that's even without blade scratches I was unable to get to show up with the rest in the pictures.

dXkvM4C.jpg

Y1xOBGo.jpg

The end of this week concludes my first month of carrying the new small plain 21 with Chad Nichols ladder damascus daily to work, with exception of only a couple days. It's been put to good use and has held up quite well. I've used it to open packages, strip wire, ream PVC, cut sealtite conduit, strip flexible gas line, scrape gaskets, trim filters, bore holes, carve wood, cut zip ties, open cans, and more. I've cut materials including cardboard, paper, plastic, rope, fiberglass, nylon strap, cloth, foam, rubber, and foil.

In these four weeks I've only touched it up on the Sharpmaker once and have otherwise just stropped it after rougher days. As far as edge holding I've seen no noticeable difference so far between it and S35VN. I've also experienced zero chipping or edge rolling, even after accidentally banging it on metal a few times. Quite remarkable if you ask me.

It's already starting to develop a respectable patina. And that's even without blade scratches I was unable to get to show up with the rest in the pictures.

dXkvM4C.jpg

Y1xOBGo.jpg
Totally agree, there's no persivible difference between CRK Damascus and their S35VN, in cutting, edge retention and any other comparison, put side by side in repetitive destruction tests maybe, I don't know, but in life out in the workplace I use both CN and DT as well as S35VN all day ever day, they all get used relatively hard, Sebenzas and Mnandi, I can't tell any difference, regular stropping and sharpening is all that's needed I've found.

Last edited:
Totally agree, there's no persivible difference between CRK Damascus and their S35VN, in cutting, edge retention and any other comparison, put side by side in repetitive destruction tests maybe, I don't know, but in life out in the workplace I use both CN and DT as well as S35VN all day ever day, they all get used relatively hard, Sebenzas and Mnandi, I can't tell any difference, regular stropping and sharpening is all that's needed I've found.
That's what cracks me up about steel snobs. A majority of knife owners won't come close to subjecting their blades to that kind of use, let alone on a daily basis. But how many out there turn up their nose at anything "less than" M390? Meanwhile I can tell you that S35 and even slightly softer damascus have no problem holding up AND can be maintained on a strop. Try doing that with S90V.

That's what cracks me up about steel snobs. A majority of knife owners won't come close to subjecting their blades to that kind of use, let alone on a daily basis. But how many out there turn up their nose at anything "less than" M390? Meanwhile I can tell you that S35 and even slightly softer damascus have no problem holding up AND can be maintained on a strop. Try doing that with S90V.

It's a tough business opening envelopes and trimming wayward suit threads,

It's a tough business opening envelopes and trimming wayward suit threads,
I don't even mean to be critical of people who don't necessarily use their knives as hard as I do as many don't have the opportunity or they simply don't want to. But I will bring it up when people feel the need to assert the idea that super steel is the be-all-end-all or that CRK needs to use it to be any good.

I think the move to S45VN is great, I wish they'd offer damasteel on a regular production basis. I understand that allure of higher edge retention on one end, and the ability to quickly regain a sharp edge on the other.

It's not much about using a steel to its limits and finding S35VN unsuitable, it's about the material properties. I prefer to not having to strop a blade and for it to remain extremely sharp for a longer time in-between sharpening sessions.

I always thought the damascus blades looked nice but they just didn't interest me enough for the price premium, so I'll admit this thread is pretty much what finally pushed me to trying one. But here's the kicker I never saw coming. As the blade lightens and develops its own wear I'm growing to like it more and more every time I use it. To the point that now, I'm actually starting to look at my S35 blades with boredom. So now I likely see myself opting for damascus on any new CRK I get from here on out.

This picture doesn't even begin to do the shine justice.

Vn8F5S5.jpg

I always thought the damascus blades looked nice but they just didn't interest me enough for the price premium, so I'll admit this thread is pretty much what finally pushed me to trying one. But here's the kicker I never saw coming. As the blade lightens and develops its own wear I'm growing to like it more and more every time I use it. To the point that now, I'm actually starting to look at my S35 blades with boredom. So now I likely see myself opting for damascus on any new CRK I get from here on out.

This picture doesn't even begin to do the shine justice.

Vn8F5S5.jpg
My experience exactly. The wear on the Damascus blade is just that much more history connecting you to the knife. If you can afford it, it’s a good way to go.

I went back and read through this thread again in excitement. Can’t wait to get my damascus 21 on Monday! It’s immediately going in my pocket for a week at hunting camp. I really dig the wood and gold accents with the damascus :thumbsup:

sArqfqu.jpg

I should also note that I’m looking forward to owning/using this steel. My collection is mainly focused on hunting knives so I have a lot of carbon damascus fixed blades and carbon and stainless san-mai blades, but no all stainless damascus.

Well, after reading this thread, and seeing the pictures... I put in an order to CRK for a large PJ 31 with the boomerang damascus!
It's currently a 9-12 month wait, but I'm hoping I get lucky and it comes earlier. I have numerous CRK knives now, but no damascus blades. After seeing kid's pics, a damascus PJ just looks right, especially after use. I do not have a profession that warrants the hard use like that any more, but I still hunt, fish and camp! Now the wait begins...

Well, after reading this thread, and seeing the pictures... I put in an order to CRK for a large PJ 31 with the boomerang damascus!
It's currently a 9-12 month wait, but I'm hoping I get lucky and it comes earlier. I have numerous CRK knives now, but no damascus blades. After seeing kid's pics, a damascus PJ just looks right, especially after use. I do not have a profession that warrants the hard use like that any more, but I still hunt, fish and camp! Now the wait begins...
I'm waiting on a custom configuration from CRK with damascus right now. It hasn't been easy.

Back