Damascus help

hi all, im new here. i dont know where else to go. so i have a damascus sword (replica of ICE from game of thrones) i usually coat the blade once a year with renaissance wax to protect it. well this year when i pulled it down i noticed a couple rust spots. nothing major. i tried wd-40 and a non scratch pad with no luck. found on the internet that naval jelly works great so i got a bottle of the loctite brand. did exactly what it said. put on there for 10 minutes and rinsed it off with water. well it took the rust off but stained my blade. have no clue how to or if i can even fix it. any help would be much appreciated! ill try to post a picture.

n3eJyd
wLgTSja
https://imgur.com/a/wLgTSja

Hi!

First post in awhile.. basically what happened:

Naval jelly is a paste consisting of phosphoric acid and a few other ingredients, and functions to convert iron oxide to the more manageable iron phosphate, but being a weak acid, might also be responsible for patina formation. Some WD40 and a fine steel wool (00+) might remove your darkening. When you do it, make sure that you’re consistent with your direction, and that it goes with the sanding lines, if there are any, left by the manufacturer. The steel wool alone likely won’t remove the darkening 100%, but it won’t be as dark. You may also need to use wool on the entire blade so you’re not matte on 95% of the sword, with a suspicious shiny spot.

Post pictures after you’re done! Good luck!

Back