Damascus Question

I’ve been looking at the damascus blade options since I started looking at CRKs. In terms of regular carry and very light use (I’m retired so only incidental, very light use), is there any advantage to having a damascus blade instead of a regular satin S35VN blade or is damascus just a show or collector kind of thing?

The advantage of Damascus is the uniqueness it brings to each knife. So yes, it’s a showy thing, but it’s more than just that.

In terms of utility, the stainless Damascus is just about as good as S35VN. It will hold an edge and get just as sharp as S35VN. However, Damascus will fade with use where the contrast lessens, and it typically starts around the thumb lug. The original contrast can be restored but at the expense of etching away some steel and CRK can only perform that one time.

I have one basket weave Sebenza that I put through the paces and was surprised at how well it did. There was another forum member that worked the heck out of a CRK Damascus blade and the conclusion was to just use it!

Here is that thread with pictures: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads...t-of-a-journey-w-october-2017-update.1515437/

Last edited:
There's really not an advantage to having Damascus over the S35VN blade. It's a matter of wanting a Damascus blade more than anything else. Collectors go for the unusual Damascus, like the River of Fire or other rare Damascus.
I have a couple because I wanted a Damascus blade. Simple as that.

A nice faded/used damascus blade is appealing to many. I especially like it because I like carbon steels and it’s the closest thing to one visually.

As others have said, mainly cosmetic. Finger prints and minor smudges don't show. I use mine regularly for basic daily tasks, including food, and it's held up well.

In my opinion my CRK Damascus blade grips an edge better before slicing it than my S35VN blades. They are also less shiny and show scratches less easily. The first couple months I tried to be delicate with it. Now I pretty much treat it like any other blade. I probably would not want it to be my first CRK blade, but since I already had a few S35VN blades the Damascus was a nice change of pace.

I agree with everything said here about a Damascus blade including my opinion the Damasteel blows away the Chad Nichols and Devin Thomas recent versions. I just don’t get it? There are so many beautiful Damascus versions out there that members show us yet CRK seems to only turn out versions that are wishy washy and hard to see the pattern and the tend to that disappear as soon as you move the blade (I have 3 Seb 21’s like this) or they turn out nice versions or even some Damasteel patterns only PJ’s. Clearly there is a high demand for the bold and beautiful stuff in. Large 21 with wood inlays in either Damasteel or Damascus. Don’t know why CRK keeps missing the ball on this one.

Last edited:
I agree with everything said here about a Damascus blade including my opinion the Damasteel blows away the Chad Nichols and Devin Thomas recent versions. I just don’t get it? There are so many beautiful Damascus versions out there that members show us yet CRK seems to only turn out versions that are wishy washy and that disappear has soon as you move the blade (I have 3 Seb 21 like this) or they turn out nice versions or even some Damascus patterns only PJ’s. Clearly there is a high demand for the bold and beautiful stuff in. Large 21 with wood inlays in either Damasteel or Damascus. Don’t know why CRK keeps missing the ball on this one.
My DT is Craptastic…

I’ve been looking at the damascus blade options since I started looking at CRKs. In terms of regular carry and very light use (I’m retired so only incidental, very light use), is there any advantage to having a damascus blade instead of a regular satin S35VN blade or is damascus just a show or collector kind of thing?

Followup question. How rust prone are the Damascus blades vs. standard Chris Reeve?

The only demascus I have is a Mnandi but really really like the look of a plain jane sebenza with demascus blade in any pattern. I guess it’s a not so plain jane? Either way I will own one some day.

Last edited:
So when buying a Damascus blade, is there anything regarding the pattern to look for? Is more random better for raindrop, more uniform for basket weave?

Should both sides of the blade have the same pattern density? Is it all just “beauty is in the eye of the beholder” sort of thing?

Much nicer and cleaner looking plus better performance was my reason to prefer Damasteel.Really don't care how it's made if looks and works better.But that's just me.Cheers.

Back