Damasteel question

Jonny D

Gold Member
Hey folks looking for some input, not sure if this is the correct place for such a post. I just received my first knife in damasteel/ Damascus, it’s really great looking. I noticed on the spine that there are a few gaps in the welds? Is this normal? I’ll post a picture of the larger one. Thanks for any information!
8CNA1Qm.jpg

Hey folks looking for some input, not sure if this is the correct place for such a post. I just received my first knife in damasteel/ Damascus, it’s really great looking. I noticed on the spine that there are a few gaps in the welds? Is this normal? I’ll post a picture of the larger one. Thanks for any information!
8CNA1Qm.jpg

Is that a SG spider monkey? If so there shouldn’t be any gap or delaminations especially at that price point. It’s just a matter of time before things get worse. Send it back!

Yes it’s the SG spider monkey, really cool knife with the exception of that. I did email the manufacturer and am waiting to hear back.

Yes it’s the SG spider monkey, really cool knife with the exception of that. I did email the manufacturer and am waiting to hear back.
I heard great stuff regarding SG customer services, I'm sure they will get things right for you.

Edit: Edited for misinformation. :oops:

Last edited:
Are we sure these are gaps or delaminated Damasteel? I have the SM copper/Damasteel as well and mine has similar patterns on the spine:

E9SltSH.jpg
rFVTVvh.jpg

I have one other Damasteel knife made by Reate. The pattern is different, but texture is the same.

ihVfnvj.jpg

TkCdfNp.jpg

I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable, but I question whether the OP has a defective blade based on the photos posted...

I also think we need more pictures and if that is truly a gap that wide, slip something in there to help illustrate it.

Damasteel is very, very different from damascus and that would be quite the failure.

Damasteel is extremely fine powder that is compressed into a canister and consolidated in a HIP chamber. You can absolutely get poor consolidation in HIPing but it should be pretty obvious at the maker. As in, they should see some parameter go out of spec before the run is even complete.

This isn't like classic damascus where strips of metal fail to bond.

So i edited my post for misinformation. Thanks for the education, learning something new every day. :D

That said, Southern Grind advertised on their website as Damascus and no mention of being Damasteel, hence the confusion.

Edc Specialities:

"This incredible collaboration between Zac Brown’s Southern Grind Knives and EDC Specialties started as a customer mod. That original knife caught the eye of Zac Brown, and the next thing we knew we had a deal to do an exclusive run of Spider Monkeys with this great company. They thought so highly of the project, that they decided to use the Damasteel Stainless Rose Pattern Damascus blade to accentuate the beauty and uniqueness of these individual creations. Each knife has blue anodized titanium liners, and the forced organic patina on the copper scales is absolutely unique to each and every knife, featuring blues, blacks, purples, greens, and many other hues and patterns. Finished with Cerakote clear gloss for exceptional wear resistance."

Edit: yea it’s Damasteel alright. https://damasteel.se/pattern/rose/

Last edited:
If that is what it "looks" like it is completely unacceptable. Given some more photos, it may just be the pattern. Damascus can be very deceiving in this manner.

I thought for sure on Mike Norris website somewhere it stated that he made "Damasteel". Not the case, and never stated. Need my glasses checked.

Well at least the OP did not buy something from Pakistan!

Are we sure these are gaps or delaminated Damasteel? I have the SM copper/Damasteel as well and mine has similar patterns on the spine:

E9SltSH.jpg
rFVTVvh.jpg

I have one other Damasteel knife made by Reate. The pattern is different, but texture is the same.

ihVfnvj.jpg

TkCdfNp.jpg

I’ll defer to those more knowledgeable, but I question whether the OP has a defective blade based on the photos posted...
Thanks for the pictures and information that helps a lot. As I said I’m very happy with the knife and would not like to send it back I was just wondering if it was a normal thing. I will try to take better pictures but that shot is the worst spot on the spine.

I've made quite a few knives from Damasteel and never seen a delamination like that. I have seen it in regular damascus. Can you slip something down in there, a pin perhaps? It is hard to tell if that is just the etching or a delamination from your photo.

I ran a needle across the areas on my example and there were no gaps on mine. Would be curious if that is the same for the OP.

It looks like a pattern in the steel not delamination but more photos would be necessary.

If you hit the zoom and look at the jimping it seems like there are some spots gone AWOL.

But it also could be an artefact of digital photography.

Can you get your nail into any of the spots and feel it catch?

It sure looks like there's a groove in the jimping where that thicker middle layer of steel was. Maybe left it in the etching acid too long?

xcEsDp5.jpg

My sample under a loop. No voids, just the Damasteel pattern. You can see some of the scratch marks I made with the needle in the U grove of the jimping:rolleyes:

I tried to take some better pictures, to no avail here’s one. I heard back from southern Grind and they assured me that it was normal and the groove in the middle of the jimping is just from the deep etching process. I’m very happy with the quick response and beautiful knife.
Mr0en9v.jpg

I tried to take some better pictures, to no avail here’s one. I heard back from southern Grind and they assured me that it was normal and the groove in the middle of the jimping is just from the deep etching process. I’m very happy with the quick response and beautiful knife.
Mr0en9v.jpg

Were you able to stick something into the said gap? Like a needle?

Back