Dan Graves Desk Knife Set

d.r.h.

starik
Platinum Member
Got this one direct from Dan, so figured I would post some pics of this beautiful desk knife set. I missed out on one he made a while back and he offered this one to me ... I jumped at the offer!

Both knives are made from Dan's ladder pattern Damascus. Handles are ancient artifact walrus ivory (handle on the dagger was used as fishing weight and the drop point handle was used in some type of hide scraping tool). Dagger blade is 5 inches and the drop point blade is 3.125 inches. Ferrules are sterling silver and other fittings are nickel silver. Knives are presented in a brass holder. This set looks great on my computer desk!!

SGiHS2l.jpg

UG9ezi3.jpg

1FeJw6b.jpg

oQ0HlxT.jpg

UzvlOUc.jpg

UJZdWkU.jpg

Last edited:
Very unique and beautiful! Love the walrus handles. If the one walrus piece was truly used as a fishing weight at one time or another it would certainly be an awesome added bonus to the overall coolness of these pieces! Thanks for sharing

Thanks. This is a really neat set. Really feel privileged that Dan offered it to me. And yes, the walrus on the dagger was used as a fishing weight. While not really clear in the pics I took, Dan left the notch in the tusk where the line attached. Really makes it look great. Exceptionally nice to have something which not only ancient ... but actually used as tools before finding their way into these knives.

Last edited:
Here is one Dan did for me...I should have more to show soon...

Cheers/bg

IMG_0213.JPG

N I C E! How he gets ahold of some of the nicest stag I've laid eyes upon remains a mystery to me!!!

Thanks Dennis...I am real pleased with the set...I am also thinking about having Dan make me a D Guard Feather Damascus Bowie after the first of the year...

Funny thing about the Kimber...years ago when I was in Jakarta I volunteered for a two month stint in Bosnia...in order to go there it was required that I be qualified in weapons...so, they shipped me back to Camp Perry for two weeks instruction on a Browning 9mm...at the end of the course the head instructor took me aside and said "Now Buddy, you have qualified with this weapon but try to not get in a position where you have to use it"...fast forward a few years, after 9/11, and I spent four TDYs in Afghanistan and Pakistan and I had to qualify again with the same weapon...again, it was very difficult for me...after my final retirement, I felt I needed something in the house other than my bolt action hunting rifles and I am thinking that maybe if I bought a better gun I would shoot better...so, the Kimber...well, after 500 rounds at the range it became painfully obvious that, in my hands, an expensive pistol is no better than a cheap one...I can hit someone, and hurt them, at, maybe, 15 yards...anything more than that and they are pretty safe...that's why I went out and bought a tactical shotgun...I killed a coyote at 50 yards (00 buck) with that thing about a month ago...so, I keep the Kimber handy but right next to it is the shotgun...

Cheers/bg

Back