Daniel Fairly's Q&A thread

Daniel,

I was drilling this weekend using a Cobalt 1/2" bit in my HF press. I cleared one hole, went to do another, and it would only drill a divot. I kept it oiled, and kept a lot of pressure on the machine, all I did was smoke the bit and make shit hot. Any idea? I swapped it out with a 3/8" and had no problem drilling that through the same piece. Just my 1/2" bit. Think I screwed it up? I was drilling annealed, so it blows my mind to think that I could have dulled the bit after its first use.

Daniel,

I was drilling this weekend using a Cobalt 1/2" bit in my HF press. I cleared one hole, went to do another, and it would only drill a divot. I kept it oiled, and kept a lot of pressure on the machine, all I did was smoke the bit and make shit hot. Any idea? I swapped it out with a 3/8" and had no problem drilling that through the same piece. Just my 1/2" bit. Think I screwed it up? I was drilling annealed, so it blows my mind to think that I could have dulled the bit after its first use.

I hate to say it but the bit sounds dull, check the cutting edge under a bright light and look for flat or rounded spots. You can sharpen it with your grinder but it can be tricky.

I think Woodcraft has a jig for sharpening bits, something like it may be your best bet. Check out Drill Doctors too, 1/2" may be a big one...

I swear a lot and toss them. :D Keep that though, 1/2" is well worth sharpening.

Why did this happen? 1/2" is massive, I'm guessing the lowest press speed was too high combined with not enough feed pressure.

Feed & speed are key for the press and 1/2" is tough... if I understand correctly even machinists consider a 1" hole a daunting project.

Hm. Alrighty. I'll order a backup now, and have to get this looked at. I probably screwed it all up.

Thanks dude!

Another question; Mini Mill or Drill Press? I was doing some reading up, and some people think that they can use the mill as the drill press in addition to the milling. Your thoughts on the matter?

Also, any mill recommendations? I was thinking of upgrading from my cheapo HF Drill Press to something more... accurate :)

Another question; Mini Mill or Drill Press? I was doing some reading up, and some people think that they can use the mill as the drill press in addition to the milling. Your thoughts on the matter?

Also, any mill recommendations? I was thinking of upgrading from my cheapo HF Drill Press to something more... accurate :)

I use my mini-mill for about 80% of my drilling... just insert a chuck instead of a collet. I like the precision and variable speed.

The mill thing is debatable, they have a steep learning curve and the tooling costs a fortune. On the other hand once you learn the basics there is a lot you can do. I am happy that I have mine and would eventually like a large mill like a Bridgeport.

I'd consider tramming my press by sweeping with a dial indicator if I were you... that will go a long ways and you will have to learn this anyways if you get a mill. For actual milling you need a mill of course, save that press for holes. I use my mill in "drill press" mode 95% of the time and almost need a bigger mill for my lockbar recess, etc.

I like my littlemachineshop hi-torque mill, I have the one with the solid dovetailed column. It is a great drill press but a bit small for what I do... plus the table is off in a huge way! I finally realized that was my problem with the folders and my hole issues went away instantly.

Yeah, that was a mill I was looking at. The price is salty so it may be one of those "down the road" thingys. I just wasn't sure.

I may need to consult Ash's uncle on this dial indicator thing of yours. He's a machinist and has a nice full sized mill. I've got no idea how to do this haha.

Thanks pal! Where those knife pics :p

Yeah, that was a mill I was looking at. The price is salty so it may be one of those "down the road" thingys. I just wasn't sure.

I may need to consult Ash's uncle on this dial indicator thing of yours. He's a machinist and has a nice full sized mill. I've got no idea how to do this haha.

Thanks pal! Where those knife pics :p

Get one and get him to help you! :D I consider machinists classes to learn more. If you have someone to look it over and show you a few tricks you will be up and running fast.

The indicator thing is relatively easy, you just clamp it to your chuck and spin around... it will show you where the high and low spots are. You can also put it on your table and it will show runout. A video would make a lot more sense than me explaining it though...

I was on a roll yesterday (at the mill!) and worked until late... I hope to get pics today! I really owe you one.

Ok, so I love me some ATS34.. many knives with that steel.. and one of my folders is 3/16in thick of the good stuff, hardened obviously.. so I really want to put in a thumb stud on it/thru/in it.. Also going to open of the thumb contour to make it so the thumb stud is easily accessible..

So... how to get a thumb stud on this blade? Is this drillable anymore? Is drillable a word, lol... Ideally it would be thumb stud attached by hex screw on the other side.

Just curious.. and hoping.. yawn

Try a carbide bit on a hidden part of the blade, TiAlN coated Niagara bits have left me impressed drilling detent recesses in hardened steel. It's kind of a marginal thing but those bits will do a lot.

For the contour in a pinch I would use a half round file or draw file it... shouldn't take too long. Good luck with all!

Daniel,

One of the pinned wooden handles on a knife I made is coming up on one corner. Do you think I can squeeze some epoxy into the crack and use a c-clamp to press it down until it sets? The rest seems to be fine, and I flattened all the pieces before glueup. Does this happen often?

Daniel- So, use a carbide bit to drill holes stainless steel spoons? And, if I heat the spoons, to flatten them, will this make the steel softer?
I'm making a wind-chime for a friend.

Daniel- So, use a carbide bit to drill holes stainless steel spoons? And, if I heat the spoons, to flatten them, will this make the steel softer?
Rolf, this is a knife forum. You need to go over to spoonforums.com
BTW, It is very nice of you to make me a wind chime.:D
Real answer. I do not think spoons are heat treated to a very hard Hrc . You should have no problem using any quality drill bit that is for metal. But then again, maybe you have some of those high performance racing spoons.:confused::D

I'm a moderator over at spoonforums.com and I hear cobalt might work pretty well and cost less. Rum your drill as slow as possible.

I don't even use a fork, I use a spoon and a spork. Two knives...

I'm not sure with that kind of stainless as it is way different than blade steel, try torching it and see if it softens. Try a water quench too, it sounds odd but may help it soften.

Good luck, that's cool!

Rolf, this is a knife forum. You need to go over to spoonforums.com
BTW, It is very nice of you to make me a wind chime.:D
Real answer. I do not think spoons are heat treated to a very hard Hrc . You should have no problem using any quality drill bit that is for metal. But then again, maybe you have some of those high performance racing spoons.:confused::D

FBC you should swing by spoonforums, it is a great companion site to Bladeforums.

I think you are right on the spoons... :D

After second thought they are soft for sure as they hold no spring. They might work harden though, a heat/quench should help with that if they start to harden up.

I use to be on spoonforums but I got too many infractions and got booted. It was all over a big argument that sporks are spoons to! If I'm wrong I don't wanna be right!
Here is a pic of my special edition limited run serialized viking cereal spoon. The pride of my spoon collection! I might make a Kydex neck sheath for it soon.:D:rolleyes:
12943408203_582ebb9b1e_h.jpg

Ok back on topic.:eek:

Back