Daniel Fairly's Q&A thread

Yeah. Looks like it's gonna be a Benjamin' to get the 105 and 207 shipped. Whatevs, this is knifemaking. Everything comes in quantities of weeks and Benjamins' lol.

Yeah. Looks like it's gonna be a Benjamin' to get the 105 and 207 shipped. Whatevs, this is knifemaking. Everything comes in quantities of weeks and Benjamins' lol.

Fact!

I say stuff like, "that knife is nearly finished, I only have to blast, wash, etch, anodize, carbidize, then sharpen and after that all it needs is a sheath."

Fact!

I say stuff like, "that knife is nearly finished, I only have to blast, wash, etch, anodize, carbidize, then sharpen and after that all it needs is a sheath."

Blast (takes media, cabinet, both time and money$$$$)
Wash (time, some soap/Windex)
Anodize (time, patience, skill, money$$$$)
Carbidize (time, money$$$$)
Sharpen (Time, some money for belts)
Sheath (Time, Kydex, Chicago Screws/Rivets, Heat/Pressure)

And people wonder why custom knives are so expensive? LOL.

Daniel, Did your grinder come with a knuckle magnet? I am pretty sure mine did. How can I turn it off? :D

Did a resin dip. Thanks for the advice! I noticed that using the cardboard box method, the resin just sorta.. pulled up cardboard. So we used utility knives to cut it all off. Left a kinda white, kinda.. not polished mark where the resin was cut. Any way to clean that all up?

Bobby,
I use blue painters tape to mask off any area that the epoxy might get to. If that fails I use a q-tip and acetone.
I couldn't find the 105 and 207 near by either so I used some of Pop's 30 minute epoxy with a small amount acetone to tin it. It soaks in pretty well and dries with a non gloss finish.

Yeah we didn't have either here, so I ended up ordering them from some online boat store! Haha.

Ok. I'll try some cleanup with acetone and q-tips. Man I am so slow! These things have been in progress for months, hahaha.

Did a resin dip. Thanks for the advice! I noticed that using the cardboard box method, the resin just sorta.. pulled up cardboard. So we used utility knives to cut it all off. Left a kinda white, kinda.. not polished mark where the resin was cut. Any way to clean that all up?

At one stage did the cardboard touch it?

Try acetone for cleanup, hold it on there for a while and it will eventually soften the epoxy if you do it before too long.

Hey D, Did you get the rubber washers for the Chicago screws from USAKM too? I can't find them any wherezzzzzzzzz.

00 washers if I recall correctly, plumbing department

I order mine from McMaster-Carr by the 100 as they are cheaper that way and I use a lot.

yup. If you can't find some, I don't use my chicago screws much so I can send a few o-rings to you?

*edit*

Daniels' right; you're gonna pay a lot more for a lot less at Lowes.

I forget the part number but they are easy to find, I use some kind of super chemical resistant ones that are really nice and long lasting.

Hmm. So I used acetone and cleaned a lot of it off the steel. had to grind off some edges of fabric that resind'd into sharp, pointy parts of the handle. If you've ever done that to resin, you'll know it kinda turns white. Not glossy anymore. Best way to clean that up?

Hmm. So I used acetone and cleaned a lot of it off the steel. had to grind off some edges of fabric that resind'd into sharp, pointy parts of the handle. If you've ever done that to resin, you'll know it kinda turns white. Not glossy anymore. Best way to clean that up?

I think I know what you mean... try some water thin super glue on it. If you have never used it you are in for some cool stuff... it is water thin and will soak into the whole area you touch it to. USAKM and Jantz sells some for cheap. Get the hardener and you are really in business. The super glue and hardener is especially nice foe glueing down rayskin and even for fixturing knives.

Also try regular superglue on a piece of cloth or a nice q-tip (not the cheap ones, the ones from a cosmetic supply... they rock!

These "bruises" are very hard to fix, only try the smallest amount of super glue. A dab of oil may help too...

00 washers if I recall correctly, plumbing department

I order mine from McMaster-Carr by the 100 as they are cheaper that way and I use a lot.

yup. If you can't find some, I don't use my chicago screws much so I can send a few o-rings to you?

*edit*

Daniels' right; you're gonna pay a lot more for a lot less at Lowes.

I forget the part number but they are easy to find, I use some kind of super chemical resistant ones that are really nice and long lasting.
Thanks my vatos! I went to McMaster. That place is dangerous!!! D, if you run across that part # could ya let me know? They have sooooo many! Even LEATHER!
:D
Bobby, best of luck!

:D Here you go! I have used two different materials but they seemed the same.

Neoprene Rubber Washer, 1/4" Screw Size, 1/2" OD, .093" Thick Part # 90133A029

Back