Dan's Whetstone Company Arkansas Stones

Ive used Dan’s whetstones for all my traditional knives for the past 15 years or so. I have all grades, from washita up through translucent and black, hard Arkansas.
The quality is the best I’ve seen, I’ve purchased other stones here and there, and I have always observed that Dan’s stand out for true flatness and sample quality.

Ive used Dan’s whetstones for all my traditional knives for the past 15 years or so. I have all grades, from washita up through translucent and black, hard Arkansas.
The quality is the best I’ve seen, I’ve purchased other stones here and there, and I have always observed that Dan’s stand out for true flatness and sample quality.

In your opinion, which stone would be best to keep in a hunting knife sheath pouch while off the trail hunting/fishing/camping? Pouch is 4”L X 2”W

It looks like Dan's Genuine Arkansas Soft (Medium) Pocket Knife Sharpening Stone MAP-13A-L might work, how well does this stone put an edge to a Buck knife?

It looks like Dan's Genuine Arkansas Soft (Medium) Pocket Knife Sharpening Stone MAP-13A-L might work, how well does this stone put an edge to a Buck knife?

My favorite Arkansas grade is the soft. It will restore and already good edge on 420HC but given so many of Buck's thicker edges, and a 3" stone, I think you're really talking just honing. You wouldn't want it to dull and be trying to restore an edge.

My favorite Arkansas grade is the soft. It will restore and already good edge on 420HC but given so many of Buck's thicker edges, and a 3" stone, I think you're really talking just honing. You wouldn't want it to dull and be trying to restore an edge.
Thanks

I have a 2 X 10 soft Arkansas from Dan's that I bought back in 1991. It still gets used on all my kitchen knives because of its size. I have had to flatten it 2 times in all those years. I also have some hard Arkansas stones that I only use on gun hammers and sears. But that soft Arkansas stone will easily put a plenty scary edge on any knife I own. I love Dan's stones. Check out his website.

I have his surgical black stone. Does a good job polishing my one buck I keep polished. Good honing stone for my kitchen knives. I would assume his softer stones are just as good.

I've bought several stones from Dan's. Great company and you can trust them. That being said, I'd advise a soft arkansas at least as long as the blade you are going to be sharpening, maybe a hard for further honing and for final touch up/polishing if you'd like a black hard or translucent pocket stone. I have several sizes in all of his grits, but for carrying around and quick touch-ups, a 4 inch length works well for me. 3 inch if your hands are small.

Thanks for the reply's. I decided to purchase the Set 2 pc Dan’s Arkansas Soft and Hard Pocket Knife Sharpening Stone MAP/FAP 13L. I bought two sets, 1 for me and 1 for my son. I should be able to fit both stones in the SOG SEAL S37-K and the SEAL Pup sheath pouches we have for the knives. Thanks again.

I would go with the washita. It's the most coarse and will give the quickest edge repair of the Arkansas stones. Dm

Last edited:
Keep in mind that an Arkansas is probably not what you want if your knife is really dull or you are in a hurry. But it will give you a pretty fine edge.

My last comment was just on Dans quality. I would think a small silicon oxide stone in a course or medium would be better for quick repairs. There is also a smiths v sharpen tool that is small enough to put in a stone pocket on a sheath. If you want to stay with natural stones then a small washita should work.

My Dan's Arkansas stones seem to be of good quality, as good or better than some much older ones.
They came flat and well finished.
They are dedicated for straight razor sharpening, not knives.

I carry coarse and fine 3x2 diamond plates for the field. There are also 4x2 sizes. If only one, I'd take the coarse.
and agree that silicon carbide is a very good choice for the field.

Back