Dart edc batch 1 update thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian.Evans

Registered Member
The purpose of this thread will be to provide updates for the first batch of Dart EDC knives. I'll post at every major step of the process to keep everyone updated.

3/5/15 update:

My VFD came back home late today. I'll get it hooked up tomorrow, but I'm not sure when. It's my 30th birthday and my wife wants to go do something, I guess.

I got new twist lock plugs so I can disconnect my belt grinder and plug in my disc grinder, and vice versa. KB Electronics even installed a forward/reverse switch, do I can use both sides of my disc grinder and I can use the belt grinder for sharpening. I'm very happy.

Thanks for sticking with me guys. I promise it will be worth it.

Glad to hear you're back in business with the grinder. Now hurry up and post some pics of my awesome knife ��

Happy belated birthday my friend!!!

I'm a ninja..but you did put its your birthday in the second post haha
Apparently a literate ninja. Today is my birthday, not yesterday, I kind of wrote that weird. The kiddos are going to my parents, I'm staying home to write March's budget, file taxes, put the vfd back on, rewire the belt and disc grinders with new plugs so I can safely run two motors on one drive, crap like that. Fun stuff, but at least I can be in the shop! Hopefully I have diesel in the heater......hmmm.......better check that first.

Happy Birthdaaaaay - Glad to see you up and running. One more day with the wifey won't hurt production.

I got the VFD installed and the new power wires and plugs installed. I decided to use the "black snake switch" system. If you switch between motors under load it can be disastrous for the drive, so unplugging one and plugging in the other is the safest way. It's not as elegant, but it works.

0306151844.jpg

Small update. Got the first four profiled completely and almost all the rest blanked out. I got my system worked out for profiling, so my speed will increase and I'm planning on having the rest profiled out and drilled for handle screws by the end of this week. Profiling is just plain grunt work, but I've got it figured out how to move more quickly now. I may be talking out of my butt here, but I figure 8 hours to profile them all, 8 hours to rough grind them all, heat treat, then who knows how long to do all the scales. No one say "as long as it takes."

In other news, the 10" of snow we got last week is almost melted, but 2/3 of my shop has 1" of water in it, which is kind of a pain. Luckily not by the bandsaw or the grinder.

Anyway, see anything you like??

0309151914.jpg

0309151914a.jpg

Starting to look like they are going to turn out to be knives! I know there are numbers missing. It's not so much sequential order as they are customer numbers. Every number matches a sheet of paper in that leather notebook over on the right side. It's difficult to keep everything straight sometimes.

The second picture is all the profiled blanks in a pile, all center punched and ready to drill for handle fasteners.

Drilling, jimping, tapering the tangs, and grinding the bevels and they'll be ready for heat treat.

0315151102.jpg

0315151338.jpg

Looks like a lot of work! Thanks for sharing the pictures.
It was a considerable amount of work, but I have my system down now, so it's not as bad. I'm hoping in the next year to add a second grinder set up to do only profiling, which will greatly speed up production even more. I can't wait to see the jimping and the holes drilled. They will really start to take on a life of their own then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back