Dart edc batch 1 update thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thoughts and prayers my friend. Thoughts and prayers.

Glad to hear that the better half has finally had the correct diagnosis. All one can do is leave it in HIS hands and think positive and we will continue to pray for you guys.

Glad to hear the update, keep doing what you need to do, we will certainly keep you in our prayers.

Ok guys, new update, although small and uninspiring. I finally got into the shop today. Heather has not been doing well at all and honestly my life has been pure hell since the last update. I can't even begin to describe it, bit I don't think it's going to get much better anytime soon. Our marriage is still very rocky and unstable and her medical stuff has completely stalled out as the doctors can't seem to agree on the color of the sky let alone her diagnosis. I'm not in a good place with all this.

I have 15 more knives to grind before I send them in to heat treat. If stuff will stop going wrong I can get them done in one good day of grinding.

Today, I ground five knives. The first four have to be redone from the beginning, for various reasons, but mostly because I just had an horribly off day. I have six knives now out of the 15 left to do that have to be completely redone because of screw ups on my part. Out of spec handles, too thin primary grinds, grinds that broke the spine, and in one case today, a 3/8" chunk of the blade got ripped out when a belt broke in my face. That kinda sucked.

Anyway, I'm wrestling with a lot of personal stuff right now. I do know I will have to think long and hard about taking orders from here on out, and I will never, ever take money ahead of time again. I hate not being able to give you guys a quality product in a timely manner. The reasons are starting to sound like excuses and I hate it. I don't know exactly what to do except keep plugging away.

Last edited:
That's all you can do Brian. Just keep pushing through, things will look up again.

Just came in from the shop. All the knives that I've messed up have been reprofiled from bar stock and are ready to grind. Profiled a couple new designs as well, which will be up in the new pattern thread soon.

Hang in there Brian!!!

Appreciate you sharing updates of the issues you have to work hard on daily…

It is probably easier for you to post here, than respond to individual e-mails.

Please understand there are a lot of people who really care about you and yours…

Burning the sage, sending warm thoughts, and prayers to you and your family!!

You guys are going to be very happy about this update......

Done freaking grinding! Finally.

0524151732.jpg

Also pictured are the Nettle prototype in the upper right hand corner, and number 26 looks suspiciously like an EDC Kephart........

Don't ever let anyone tell you knife making is sexy or clean. It is neither. This is my grinder after today's marathon.

0524152024b.jpg

Brian, don't know what to say but, God will not give you more then you can handle, you may not believe you can do it, but draw from that inner place and keep your head up, it will get better.

hang in there brother..u will get through it.that im 100% positive!

#26 ugh!!! makes me even more exited!!

Ok guys, some additional news and a slight change. I shouldn't have offered a tapered tang option. I can't be confident that my process is 100% spot on. I'd rather make a great regular tang than a mediocre tapered tang. I will be offering them at a later date, but I need to refine the process more first.

If that changes your mind on the order, let me know. No hard feelings if you were dead set on a tapered tang.

It is with a heavy heart I come to you guys today. I've been worrying this post over in my head since Sunday.

Here's where I stand. All the knives are ready for heat treat. However, I messed up on Robert's; it should have been a deep belly. I messed up on one of @painkilleraz knives; the belly isn't deep enough on one of them, it looks like it's been sharpened for a decade. I have a Chunky Monkey proto that needs to be in this batch, that will take five minutes to grind because it's already profiled, and I need to reprofile Ronnie's Alpha Storm for the fourth or fifth time. I don't know what it is about that little knife, but I can't get it right. However, I do have a couple cool "pops" knives I made accidentally because of screwing up that pattern.

0604151254.jpg

Basically, those are the knives I have to do before I send everything out to heat treat.

Heather and I separated on Monday. I'm still in the house with her and the kids for right now, but I don't know what's coming next basically. I haven't been sleeping or eating hardly, my life is crumbling down around my ears. I know a couple guys have paid already. I have the money to pay you back if need be, but not pay you back and complete all the other knives. This has been a nightmare because of my personal life blowing up in my face. Not fair to you guys at all, and I need to do the right thing, regardless of how painful it is. I am NOT going to be one of those makers that implodes and ruins his reputation. I refuse. My business practices will change with the next batch. They have to. I'm going to stay up late tonight and get up early tomorrow morning to get these knives done and out to heat treat tomorrow. Then I can finish the knives that are paid for and slowly finish the others as I can between work and family. I'm working 14 24s this month, and yesterday I got a subpoena for an 11 day capital murder case that I have to testify at as a witness for the prosecution.
http://www.cinewsnow.com/news/local/Mt-Zion-man-arrested-for-wifes-murder-218997691.html

Add in that my medic license is up this month and I'm about 35 hours shot for my re-cert.

I'm going to be busy.

So that's what's going on. Sorry if it takes a while to email back. I promise I'm not ignoring you.

I paid, finish the knives. I would rather that happen than get $s back, I understand that the emotional drain is difficult. However, I think you are a solid builder, take the time to do each thing necessary in order. One step at a time, one foot ahead of the other. Don't stress mine too much.

But above all, make sure you do what is necessary to fulfill commitments first to family and next to others. :)

Do what you can my friend. That's a bad deal all the way around. I don't care one bit about the money. In the end, they're just knives.

Remember, this forum can literally make or break a knife maker. Your continued communication and honesty to date has been good. Personally, mine have been ordered for my kids and xmas, so, i have time. Again, be honest, and always keep your word. Again, thank you for both the personal and forum posted information. Hope things are getting easier! :)

Ditto what myowngood and painkilleraz said. I've paid already so no hurry and I definitely would rather have the knives than the money. Take care of yourself and family first. Brian, you know I'm here my friend. When you finish up, let me know, I'll get the sheaths and the knives out as quickly as I can. You know already that I am much like you and I won't cut corners and skimp on quality. I'm ready when you are.
Let me know if I can help in any way.

Closing this thread for now. Please see the new "It's all over" thread for a comprehensive update.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back