Dating German Knifes

Not without a photo.
Google and Herder Catalogues are absolutely without a doubt the best way to date a knife - if you post some very good clear photos of the knife perhaps a Herder or German Cutlery enthusiast with more knowledge on Herders history may see this and chime in?

Not without a photo.
Google and Herder Catalogues are absolutely without a doubt the best way to date a knife - if you post some very good clear photos of the knife perhaps a Herder or German Cutlery enthusiast with more knowledge on Herders history may see this and chime in?
129056472_3814565661895905_6278687520718654867_n.jpg
129053196_3814565578562580_3453457239526124302_n.jpg

Restoration work was being completed on an old estate house and this was a discovered relic. I'm guessing by the screw-less construction it's 1800's but I'm no expert.

Not without a photo.
How do I upload a photo from my files? I'd like help dating a Friedr Herder Abr. Sohn Solingen.

Mike- Imgur is how I post my photos. ( google this )

Randy, that is not as early as you think, I am more in the mind that that Sod-Buster ( that is the name of that pattern of Knife that you have ) is more likely 1930 to 1940's. I have a few like that one.

Restoration work was being completed on an old estate house and this was a discovered relic. I'm guessing by the screw-less construction it's 1800's but I'm no expert.
Traditional knives don't have screw construction, and are pinned. That includes right up to knives on the assembly line at Case and Great Eastern Cutlery among others, as I type this. I believe the pattern we commonly refer to as sodbusters is a quite old one however.

Friedr. Herder had a long history with the sod-buster style knife which is first seen in a factory catalog dating to 1904 (a few different models are shown).
What we call a "sod-buster" knife, Herder called a "Schlachter - Taschenmesser" which translates to "Butcher Pocket Knife".
Unfortunately, it is generally quite difficult to precisely date most German pocket knives (or other European pocket knives) because the same models with the same markings were often produced for decades on end.
In looking at several Herder catalogs over time, your model would fall into the 1930s to 1960s era.
Enclosed are two catalog illustrations from 1935 and 1955 which show a wonderful variety of sod-buster models that Herder offered.

View attachment 1465518

View attachment 1465519

Friedr. Herder had a long history with the sod-buster style knife which is first seen in a factory catalog dating to 1904 (a few different models are shown).
What we call a "sod-buster" knife, Herder called a "Schlachter - Taschenmesser" which translates to "Butcher Pocket Knife".
Unfortunately, it is generally quite difficult to precisely date most German pocket knives (or other European pocket knives) because the same models with the same markings were often produced for decades on end.
In looking at several Herder catalogs over time, your model would fall into the 1930s to 1960s era.
Enclosed are two catalog illustrations from 1935 and 1955 which show a wonderful variety of sod-buster models that Herder offered.

View attachment 1465518

View attachment 1465519
Thank you for the catalog photos H herder . I'm an enthusiast of this pattern.

View attachment 1465518

View attachment 1465519
The model in question is not on the 1935 but is on the 1955. Thanks for taking the time to provide that information.

Back