Dave Beck Hide Scraper Review

[video=youtube;oieYCIeWH08]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oieYCIeWH08&feature=c4-overview&list=UUnHwxnLdWlkpvCrfwGoPZ9Q[/video]

I am always keeping my eye out for multi-use items to keep in my kit. I especially like compact and small items. So while I was cruising the forums I was very excited when I found the Hide Scraper that Dave Beck makes. I emailed Dave and told him I would like to buy one of these tools and do a review. He replied that he had some in stock. When I got the package I found not one, but two Hide Scrapers. I thought that was pretty cool of him. So, I decided to give the new one to one of you folks. Onto the review.

With the two scrapers came a set of instructions. These detailed use and sharpening.

bFutJFoSOZK0aYpoTNKjRSmA5nvO-GysMhBNuQX-6zY=w406-h545-no

Hide+instructions+2.JPG

I am sure it works as advertised for cleaning skins, but I was interested in some other uses. One of the first things I thought it could be used for is a adze. To make this happen I needed a handle. I was trying to do this using tools from a small PSK. I choose a wire saw.

hide+wire+saw.JPG

If you are going to make the adze you need something to drill a couple of holes, and a couple of screws. I used a SAK Farmer. This is probably the weakest application for this scraper.

Hide+adz.JPG

My favorite way to improvise with this is making a chopper. To start the process I used the edge to split the end of the handle. The scraper also can be used to split wood for kindling or stakes.

Hide+splitting.JPG

A little 550 cord and it make a pretty effective hatchet. Lacing a few wraps through the screw holes stabilizes the blade. It will loosen with continued use. But, it is better than nothing.

Hide+hatchet+1.JPG

Hide+hatchet+2.JPG

I took a file and squared off one edge for use with a firesteel. The other side I was able to get sparks from a piece of chert. Pretty cool.

Hide+fire.JPG

Because it is a scraper by design, it is great for cleaning up wood projects and removing bark.

hide+scraper+wood+.JPG

I hope you can see why I was so excited about this product.

Check out Dave Beck's knives

Last edited:
Cool little tool , thanks for the heads up

Cool too the giveaway , good on you !

:)

Good to see ya around IA! Thanks for the review! I've had the scraper bookmarked forever. One of these days I'll get around to it.

Now that looks like a tool with a lotta bang for your buck! Thanks for the post IA

Excellent review, thanks!

Cool little tool , thanks for the heads up

Cool too the giveaway , good on you !

:)

Good to see ya around IA! Thanks for the review! I've had the scraper bookmarked forever. One of these days I'll get around to it.

Thanks guys I am glad you liked it. Can't really go wrong for 30 bucks.

I've been thinking about something like this for a while. I may have to pick one up. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. What's the length? Looks like about 4 inches or so?

Wow. That looks just the wood plane blade I carry in my pack. Great review!

great review :thumbup: cool piece of kit to have. Reminds me of Bear's cold steel axe head he has on him all the time :thumbup:

Wow. That looks just the wood plane blade I carry in my pack. Great review!

That is a great idea.

I've been thinking about something like this for a while. I may have to pick one up. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. What's the length? Looks like about 4 inches or so?

Yep about that. I know Dave is at least 30 days out.

Top drawer IA.
Quality stuff!

-RB

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Back