David, do you ever reblade folders? - No.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't expecting as much of a response to this as I got, and I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has offered to send me a knife for this project. At this time, I have an example of each of the following coming:

Byrd Ti Cara Cara 2
Byrd Ti Meadowlark 2
Spyderco UKPK
Cold Steel Airlite
Cold Steel Recon 1

And two knives that I am awaiting confirmation on:

Manix 2 XL
Benchmade Bugout

At this time, I will be declining any further offers, as I do not want to risk overextending myself. Sincerest thanks again to each one who is loaning me his knife for this project. Much appreciated!

ETA: Bugout is confirmed, Manix 2 XL is so far a no go.

Last edited:
I wasn't expecting as much of a response to this as I got, and I want to say a big thank you to everyone who has offered to send me a knife for this project. At this time, I have an example of each of the following coming:

Byrd Ti Cara Cara 2
Byrd Ti Meadowlark 2
Spyderco UKPK
Cold Steel Airlite
Cold Steel Recon 1

And two knives that I am awaiting confirmation on:

Manix 2 XL
Benchmade Bugout

At this time, I will be declining any further offers, as I do not want to risk overextending myself. Sincerest thanks again to each one who is loaning me his knife for this project. Much appreciated!
I’m salivating at the idea of new recon 1 blades. 😋

Me too! Opening hole for sure (they'll all have that to start, to keep things simple for me, i.e. baby steps), full length wharncliffe blade, if I can make it fit properly. That's if I make one for me. Needless to say this is a custom process, so once I am ready to start offering them, blade shape will be anything a customer wants, as long as it will fit in the design.

According to Canada Post I should be receiving the last of the blades tomorrow, which means I will hopefully have the order for the AEB-L prototypes placed soon.

Slowly but surely progressing on this. Lots of computer work up front, and do-overs to get things right. I am also still working out what I will do for stainless heat treatment in the event that Jarod slows down his heat treating for a period of time.

Hi Dave,

I recently got one of your customized large clip point voyager and I love it. Would you happen to have anymore for sale or plans to make more? I would love to buy a few more, Thanks.

Good morning Ganzofan, welcome to my sub forum. I have moved your question into a thread that provides the background on everything I have planned relating to modding folders, including both stock removal mods and upon the success of this project, offering rebaldes and rehandles in new shapes and materials not offered by the manufacturers, and opening holes.

A current update is that I have in my possession at this time, the following knives which I am attempting to reverse engineer on the computer to (most likely) water jet:

These ones I borrowed:

Byrd Ti Cara Cara 2
Byrd Ti Meadowlark 2
Spyderco UKPK I ended up gaining this one in a trade, and have decided to remove it from the list.
Cold Steel Airlite
Cold Steel Recon 1
Benchmade Bugout

And these ones I bought used:

Cold Steel XL Voyager
Cold Steel Code 4
Spyderco Manix 2 XL

And I am still playing with the idea of trying another liner locking Spyderco Resilience reblade.

I don't have a background in engineering or anything, so this is taking me some time.

But if you wanted to buy a Voyager from a Canadian retailer have them ship to me and I then mod by stock removal and ship to you, let me know by email because I can do that as well. My email is in my sig.

Still working on this. Because of how staggered things became with orders blanks coming back from heat treatment and commissions going out, I have not made as much progress on the redesigns and CAD files as I would like. But I am going to keep on keeping on, and hopefully have something to show soon.

This was an ambitious project for me to start with; reverse engineering, redesigning and reblading 8 different folders. As I am working through this, I have to give a realistic appraisal of my outlook for this project. For technical and logistical reasons it is looking very much like I will have to remove the Byrd knives and the Benchmade from the list of likely successes this time around.

For the knives still included in this project, I have now finally been able to afford to order a sheet of AEB-L. It will be arriving at the local waterjet company, who will be cutting my prototype blades out. I will share pics of these once I have them ready. Because of the disparate thicknesses of all these different knives, I have ordered .140" thickness, which I will have to thin down pre-heat treat for pretty much each blade. But at least this way I will be able to do all the knives left on this list, which include these two I borrowed:

Recon 1 (Large)

Air Lite

And these I bought/traded or otherwise acquired for the project:

Code 4

Manix 2 XL

Manix 2

My XL Voyager is sadly going to have to sit this one out as it is just too thick.

For the knives still included in this project, I have now finally been able to afford to order a sheet of AEB-L. It will be arriving at the local waterjet company, who will be cutting my prototype blades out. I will share pics of these once I have them ready. Because of the disparate thicknesses of all these different knives, I have ordered .140" thickness, which I will have to thin down pre-heat treat for pretty much each blade. But at least this way I will be able to do all the knives left on this list, which include these two I borrowed:

Recon 1 (Large)

Air Lite

And these I bought/traded or otherwise acquired for the project:

Code 4

Manix 2 XL

Manix 2

My XL Voyager is sadly going to have to sit this one out as it is just too thick.
I’m really excited to see how the Recon 1 looks. Are you going to offer any for sale?

Upon successful prototyping of a given model, I will indeed be open to taking orders on that model going forward, and in any steel I can both find, and get Jarod to heat treat. The main features of my reblade designs will be opening holes (non-circular so as not to infringe on Spyderco's trademark), and maximizing the cutting edges. On the knives where the hole does not have enough clearance, this will necessitate the addition of some amount of hump, like on the Airlite and possibly the Code 4.

Upon successful prototyping of a given model, I will indeed be open to taking orders on that model going forward, and in any steel I can both find, and get Jarod to heat treat. The main features of my reblade designs will be opening holes (non-circular so as not to infringe on Spyderco's trademark), and maximizing the cutting edges. On the knives where the hole does not have enough clearance, this will necessitate the addition of some amount of hump, like on the Airlite and possibly the Code 4.
Are plans open for the possibility of some waved Recon 1 blades?

By all means.

Actually, I have to look into it. I just remembered that Mr. Emerson has a patent on his wave feature. That being said, there is no reason I could not make one that has holes precut along a path for the end user to simply "connect the dots" with a dremel and fashion his or her own wave thereby.

I have sent an email to Mr. Emerson, and will update this thread once I have an answer.

Reactions: DMG
Dear David,

In order to protect the integrity of our licensing agreements with the companies we are currently working with, we are not granting any licenses or permission to use our "Wave Feature".

Those companies do not want to see their investments in the license and designs that are in effect per our ownership of Trademark Registration #4879356 diluted in any way.

Kind Regards,
Kathy
Emerson Knives Customer Support

So I will have to use a workaround, like the one I mentioned above, or an aftermarket snaggle tooth type system could be used.

So I will have to use a workaround, like the one I mentioned above, or an aftermarket snaggle tooth type system could be used.
If they can be snaggletooth’d, that’d be great. I already use them on all of my recon 1’s.

In that case, I could do either an opening hole, a regular thumbstud size hole, or both if you wanted both. Of course, let's not put the cart before the horse yet. I still have to get these cut out, and dialed in to fit and function properly in the knife.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back