David Lespect linerlock with wootz blade

I was lucky to score this one recently.
It is a linerlock with a 3 1/2" blade (7 1/2" OAL). The liners are titanium and the wood is maple.
The wootz is made by Achim Wirtz. Very cool, the pattern shows well and it has lots of "action" in it.
The workmanship is top notch : fit, finish, lockup, all is like it shoud.
A few pics for your viewing pleasure:

146_lespect_1_medium.jpg

146_lespect_2_medium.jpg

146_lespect_3_medium.jpg

oh goodness. I rarely look at folders.. but with wootz in the subject I had to look. That is lovely and my kind of knife.

Man, I really like that....great looking steel and folder. :cool:

I keep coming back to look at this. It makes me realize I need to amp up my own wootz attempts.

I also went to look at David's website and I'm very impressed and inspired.

Very nice! Ive never had any experience with wootz, anything you could compare it to?

It cuts and sharpens like high carbon steel and keeps a good edge. I think it has something between 1.5% to 2% C but I'm not sure about the exact figure.
It sharpens easier than stainless steels IMO.
I just touched up the edge on this one and being a folder it won't really get abused.
I have a wootz camp knife though and did some chopping with that one. Kept the edge beautifully.

Contained... wootz is something that could be potentially extremely variable from maker to maker. There are many different recipes and many different methods.

Well Thanks Flava.... I've just ordered an A6 crucible to re-begin my experiments with this stuff. Last time I played with it, I melted the light fixtures in my shop.

Back