David Mary R&D Knives

David Mary

pass the mustard - after you cut it
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Greetings friends, I thought it might be a neat idea to make a thread wherein I share my current R&D, which at this time mostly means a new knife design that I am trying out. So whenever I make something new that I plan to put through its paces, I will post it here.

With no further ado, here is the R&D knife that I finished last week, and which now resides on my right hip, to be used and assessed for the near future, until I make another stainless Prevail (as the Prevail will most likely end up being my preferred primary EDC fixed blade).

This one is in 3/32" AEB-L, at 62 RC. 9" overall, 4 3/8" cutting edge, and weighs in at 5.1 oz. Handle is blue and black Suretouch™, where the blue is G10, and the black is rubber. I experimented with a new texturing method, and I like the results. Before I post another R&D knife here, I will make a point to provide a performance review, and possibly some cutting footage.

Comments and questions welcome, and thank you for taking a look.

IMG_3532.JPG
IMG_3533.JPG
IMG_3535.JPG.
IMG_3534.JPG

I like it. I also like watching craftsmen build the style that inspires them rather than what they think will sell best.

My father was a machinist and mechanic for N&W for over 45 years. He modified and made some tools specifically for his work. Coworkers shared ideas and made tools for each other that helped in their work. I like browsing flea markets for old tools to see their modification and inspiration.

Bill

Fun to be in on the ground floor on what goes through your mind on what a blade should do. I’ve watched you try different materials, steels, heat treat procedures, hardnesses all in the search to make an age old tool better. Your style is evolving along with sheath construction. Always looking forward to what’s next.😲

David Mary David Mary - your knives with textured handles certainly make for one of a kind pieces. Do you "map" out each design before you apply it?

I ask as I now have 2 of your knives with Suretouch and I have pondered how you might go about maximizing the grip aspect of the rubber material while also maintaining adequate exposure of the g-10 so that it's durability traits are also used.

I think you hit on a nice balance on the Prevail XL I have, where you made variable sized plateaus on the flats of the scales. Each plateau summit was capped in g-10 and had slopes of rubber that descend to a base that is larger than then the summit cap. Since the plateaus are not tall relative to the lower areas around them, when I grip the handle my skin grips both g-10 and suretouch.

However, the pattern on the knife in this thread is interesting as it has similar plateaus, but less of them and more rubber exposed. More grippage must be the result.

Pretty cool design overall - thanks for sharing.

David Mary David Mary - your knives with textured handles certainly make for one of a kind pieces. Do you "map" out each design before you apply it?

As time has gone on, I have come to approach each knife differently. There are some that are basic and straightforward enough that no more map is needed than mentally planning to cut, say, about a dozen diagonal parallel grooves per side. Some larger or more awkwardly shaped handles or intricate patterns I will now draw my lines on with a pencil first, and then a sharpie when I am happy with them. Not always, depending on the difficulty the handle presents for keeping things even.

I ask as I now have 2 of your knives with Suretouch and I have pondered how you might go about maximizing the grip aspect of the rubber material while also maintaining adequate exposure of the g-10 so that it's durability traits are also used.

I have come to the conclusion that Suretouch is nigh impossible to mess up as far as making the handle grippy. As soon as one shapes it to anything even close to an ergonomic knife handle, one has exposed rubber for the skin to contact, and even the most conservative shaping has yielded results superior in grip to any micarta or terotuf I have done.

I think you hit on a nice balance on the Prevail XL I have, where you made variable sized plateaus on the flats of the scales. Each plateau summit was capped in g-10 and had slopes of rubber that descend to a base that is larger than then the summit cap. Since the plateaus are not tall relative to the lower areas around them, when I grip the handle my skin grips both g-10 and suretouch.

Thank you! I was quite happy with that one, both for grip and for comfort, both of which are super important to me on a knife handle.

However, the pattern on the knife in this thread is interesting as it has similar plateaus, but less of them and more rubber exposed. More grippage must be the result.

Thank you, and yes it does have a pretty high grip factor. This pattern was new for me, as I created it on my grinder instead of my dremel. No real mapping on this one, per se, except "hmmm, I haven't done it this way yet, let's see what happens" 😅.

Shout out to Crag the Brewer Crag the Brewer for encouraging me to try some new texture ideas.

Pretty cool design overall - thanks for sharing.

You're very welcome, and thank you for taking the time to post.

Greetings friends, I thought it might be a neat idea to make a thread wherein I share my current R&D, which at this time mostly means a new knife design that I am trying out. So whenever I make something new that I plan to put through its paces, I will post it here.

With no further ado, here is the R&D knife that I finished last week, and which now resides on my right hip, to be used and assessed for the near future, until I make another stainless Prevail (as the Prevail will most likely end up being my preferred primary EDC fixed blade).
This one is in 3/32" AEB-L, at 62 RC. 9" overall, 4 3/8" cutting edge, and weighs in at 5.1 oz. Handle is blue and black Suretouch™, where the blue is G10, and the black is rubber. I experimented with a new texturing method, and I like the results. Before I post another R&D knife here, I will make a point to provide a performance review, and possibly some cutting footage.
Comments and questions welcome, and thank you for taking a look.
View attachment 1683316
David, So when are you gonna sell this beauty to me?
(I know what I said: I am fallible, and God forgives me...)

Good morning Bob, the answer to the question is: never on a Sunday. ;)

I can't speak for God (beyond repeating that which He has already said for all to hear), but I know I forgive you. 🤗 Maybe even enough to let this knife go... when I'm done with it, of course.

Back